List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Think we are 2-3 mature mids down to be competitive in the middle.. (Because Stevens retired, Jack Steven’s issues, Armitage’s back injury) we desperately need AFL players that can win their own ball and have proven to be able to rack up big numbers without being a star.. this gives Clark, Coffield, Bytel more time to mature their bodies and develop.. rather than sending them out to the wolves.. most AFL sides have matured midfield, our mids along with Gold Coast must be the youngest and least competitive midfield out there.. hard to be consistent when you don’t win the midfield battle.

Planned for it to increase but not to go up as much as it did.

That’s the facts, not fussed whether you believe it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

according to our club. i know for fact a bunch of clubs planned for it going up and by some margin. hence the buddy deal. people said how large his deal was but sydney said the growth in tv rights would ensure the salary cap goes up which would make the buddy deal seem small.

now trout/whomever may say it caught them off guard but that just shows they didn't read what others did and goes someway to explain why the list is the way it is right now.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
according to our club. i know for fact a bunch of clubs planned for it going up and by some margin. hence the buddy deal. people said how large his deal was but sydney said the growth in tv rights would ensure the salary cap goes up which would make the buddy deal seem small.

now trout/whomever may say it caught them off guard but that just shows they didn't read what others did and goes someway to explain why the list is the way it is right now.
I'm pretty sure the increase was larger than expected and came in earlier than expected.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think you might be thinking of another Swans benefit for Buddy.
He went there in 2014.
The salary cap increased three years later in 2017.
An increase of 20% in that year.
Swannies administration might be good but they’re not that good to predict a 20% increase.
Wasn’t the Buddy deal the death of their COLA rort?
They also had some dodgy marketing deal happening too.

He went there in 2014.
Swannies administration might be good but they’re not that good to predict a 20% increase.

No they had been promising it for ages, I remember it too, the Swans used it as a way to justify the phenomenal contract offered to him.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Martin is not what we need.

A 18 year old kid unless he is like a Judd is not going to help us much.. Someone like Walsh is doing well because they still have Cripps, Ed Curnow and Murphy to win the ball.. in our side, the 18 year old becomes the best mid right away. That’s the problem with Melbourne’s initial rebuild when they just had kids and not many mature players to help and support.. Ross is our oldest and most consistent mid at 26.. Steele is good but is more defensive minded.. That’s it.. everyone else is young and inconsistent. we don’t need kids now.. we need mature players that can help right away, maybe not established stars like Cogs because it’s difficult to get them, but we should try trade/Free agency as well as draft some VFL/WAFL/SAFL smokies to help.
So you're proposing that we ignore the draft and trade all our picks? Coz we've kind of done that already by not having a second or third pick this year. Surely we should try and draft one elite midfielder with our high pick still until were playing finals at least? Top 2 looks pretty tasty this year and as l said, l think it would be gettable too. I think we'll find that if/when Hanners, Stuv, Gears and Snake are back in the side, we'll have some expendable cattle to work trades and do what you're saying, without preventing what l was saying.

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you're proposing that we ignore the draft and trade all our picks? Coz we've kind of done that already by not having a second or third pick this year. Surely we should try and draft one elite midfielder with our high pick still until were playing finals at least? Top 2 looks pretty tasty this year and as l said, l think it would be gettable too. I think we'll find that if/when Hanners, Stuv, Gears and Snake are back in the side, we'll have some expendable cattle to work trades and do what you're saying, without preventing what l was saying.
To get good midfield help, you need to give up something, don’t think the players we mind losing has any value e.g. Dunstan.. let’s say if Ed Langdon or Matt Crouch wants to join, what can we offer in way of a trade? not much, so 1st round draft pick with maybe a second round pick coming back is one option.. anyway, the way Geelong picks up Parfit, Kelly, Constable with 2nd round picks, (and we picked up Bytel), there’s also value in 2nd round.. There’s genuine concern about Jack Steven’s health, so he is not gauranteed to return, Hannebury will be handy, but we are still short in number and quality.. I believe it all starts in the middle, boost the midfield quickly, we’ll be instant finalist.

2 options:
1. Trade for pick 2 (you will need to trade up, so it’ll be our 1st round + more)

vs

2. trading our 1st round for a 24-25 year old proven good mid + 2nd round pick back, and draft the best available mid..

I like option 2.. we are putting way to much value on high draft picks, I’d prefer help now + young mid as compared to a highly touted young mid who can’t help now and might not turn out to be the gun player we want.. it’s probability.

I reckon calling Bytel before he's kicked a ball for us in any meaningful way and not much form line from the last couple of years, is a big call. I hope we don't go after Ben King, we really need to be getting good top 10 mids from the draft. It smacks of a feel good story over a rational football decision.
I hope someone is in charge of a strategy other than trading in trash B grade mids from other clubs and looking at another tall defender.

Two top 10 picks in all likelihood for Ben King who went at 12 sounds like one of those very St Kilda decisions.

Even Fergus Watt's only got one first rounder.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
To get good midfield help, you need to give up something, don’t think the players we mind losing has any value e.g. Dunstan.. let’s say if Ed Langdon or Matt Crouch wants to join, what can we offer in way of a trade? not much, so 1st round draft pick with maybe a second round pick coming back is one option.. anyway, the way Geelong picks up Parfit, Kelly, Constable with 2nd round picks, (and we picked up Bytel), there’s also value in 2nd round.. There’s genuine concern about Jack Steven’s health, so he is not gauranteed to return, Hannebury will be handy, but we are still short in number and quality.. I believe it all starts in the middle, boost the midfield quickly, we’ll be instant finalist.

2 options:
1. Trade for pick 2 (you will need to trade up, so it’ll be our 1st round + more)

vs

2. trading our 1st round for a 24-25 year old proven good mid + 2nd round pick back, and draft the best available mid..

I like option 2.. we are putting way to much value on high draft picks, I’d prefer help now + young mid as compared to a highly touted young mid who can’t help now and might not turn out to be the gun player we want.. it’s probability.
When we say Steven, Hanners, Steele, Ross, Billings, Gresham with the longer term hope of Clark, Coffield, Bytel it sounds ok.

But aside from the doubts on the first two (and the kids), it’s just got to be upgraded. We just need that gun or two. When it’s in that context, using one of our ‘goods’ to get the very good makes sense for me. Obviously if picks doesn’t do it.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

2 options:

vs

I agree with you're logic and tactics 100%
I guess l have a different perspective is all. To use your Geelong analogy, they brought good kids into a strong team with a strong system, good leadership and stable club. If you put those guys into our team now, we'd still be sh1t, just maybe not so stinky, and Kelly would still be leaving after this year anyway. IMO you dont give up your top pick unless its to fill a vital piece of a premiership winning puzzle and we ain't there yet. Also, we're simply not attractive to good players atm. It's a thing. Players know it, managers know it, the industry knows it, the media know it. We love our club and view it through rose colored glasses, but thats just us unfortunately...

Honestly, we add a inside gun mid like Cripps, dare I say it, we would be like 6 - 2, sitting top 4. Unfortunately due to injuries, we struggled.

Need someone like Steele to just go off, **** tagging. Get someone like Paton to follow around someone.

When we say Steven, Hanners, Steele, Ross, Billings, Gresham with the longer term hope of Clark, Coffield, Bytel it sounds ok.

But aside from the doubts on the first two (and the kids), it’s just got to be upgraded. We just need that gun or two. When it’s in that context, using one of our ‘goods’ to get the very good makes sense for me. Obviously if picks doesn’t do it.

It's just not really going to happen though, no one is going to swap a gun for an okay player.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's just not really going to happen though, no one is going to swap a gun for an okay player.
Ha ha, with extras obviously Gringo! It might be the top pick. And obviously it has to be circumstantial - the player wants out or along those lines as the opposition won’t want to lose a very good player. But the gist is we don’t need extra depth.

Ha ha, with extras obviously Gringo! It might be the top pick. And obviously it has to be circumstantial - the player wants out or along those lines as the opposition won’t want to lose a very good player. But the gist is we don’t need extra depth.

In hindsight guys like Rowan and Dahlhaus ended up top players in a strong list. Maybe reviving a few bored good players might still get us best 22 players. Our best bet for a star is to keep discreetly offering big money to FAs like Coniglio. If they don't come get guys that would improve us .

He went there in 2014.

nope. bloke who did the Alistair Lynch deal did the Buddy deal. commented about how the cap would go up. Buddy's deal gets more expensive the longer it goes. to the point he will be paid the most he has ever been paid in the last year of his contract when we very well could be sitting on the couch watching them play. so he wasn't just forecasting the most recent increase. he was forecasting every increase after.

Port Adelaide were planned on the cap going up. what they got caught out on was the CBA delay. which meant they had to rejig contracts, until it got cleared. then they loaded up again. they saw it coming.

WCE similar boat.

all publicly commented that they had forecast the cap going up.

so this idea that we were hard done by because of some unforeseen event is sad really. if that truly was the line coming out of the club then you can see why the administration would be filthy with the list management. it's just an excuse. a really bad one. it was the job of the list manager to see where the TPP was going. if we got caught out, then that's on us. hopefully that doesn't happen moving forward.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon calling Bytel before he's kicked a ball for us in any meaningful way and not much form line from the last couple of years, is a big call. I hope we don't go after Ben King, we really need to be getting good top 10 mids from the draft. It smacks of a feel good story over a rational football decision.
I hope someone is in charge of a strategy other than trading in trash B grade mids from other clubs and looking at another tall defender.

Two top 10 picks in all likelihood for Ben King who went at 12 sounds like one of those very St Kilda decisions.
I've figured it out. Mikka is the barista in the cafe at linton st. Gets the goss from everyone, and everyone loves coffee..

I've figured it out. Mikka is the barista in the cafe at linton st. Gets the goss from everyone, and everyone loves coffee..

A barista that owns pubs, I knew those $5 coffees were robbery.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda

Not everyone I've never had a coffee in my life.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05...mong-five-clubs-interested-in-exdocker-deluca

should have taken him in the draft just gone. hopefully we still get him
The thing l don't get about this place, is that improving your worst player makes the team better as a whole, yet everyone is obsessed with unobtainable fantasies.
Dean Kent is an upgrade on Mav. Thats a win, yet where are the plaudits? If this guy is better than our worst player then we should get him on principle and l can't even conceive a reason not to tbh. Maybe I'm ECO'd....:pensive:

Just checked, he did too. Still don't think we need him unless he's a bargain. The pull to play with his brother will all ways be there. Let him play until we know if he's any good and then start talking 2 firsts. Our backline is pretty well sorted with Carlisle to come back in and Clavarino, White and Coffield all to come in at some point. Our midfield is close to the worst with Stuv in the side and with out is possibly only rivalled by GC. To go another 2 drafts with no first rounders spent on mids would be almost the single most reckless decision we could make. Buying up 2 B grade mids will cost future picks too. Probably 2 firsts for 2 mids. Where do all these picks come from. Trading out Ross and Battle or Membrey or something? Maybe Marshall?
You are banned from trading Gringo , Even thinking about trading those blokes you should be locked up , the only one id consider trading is Ross and ATM he is our best Mid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back