List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I feel like gcs would be stupid not to gather a bunch of mid draft picks and draft hilder Mcasey and finlay and put together a very promising young defense for very very little cost. The outlay versus the reward would be insane (if they go at the range I think which will be 20-50)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Very low scoring game, but thats what happens when both teams have 6 witches hats up forward. I don't think i've seen a game of football where two forward lines have had so little influence on a game. Both were terrible. Taheny kicked a couple but didnt do much else, Pickett kicked goal of the day but was otherwise anonymous, i'm not even sure Sladojevic actually had a possession, Morris did nothing, Freitag only did ok in the ruck. WA was the same story, Taylor had one great snap but didn't get enough of it, the three smalls in Henry, Thorne and Bennell were kept very quiet and Martin did nothing as well.

Great performance by both backlines though. Good on SA winning that. A lot of role players who did their job well on the day.

PLAYER REVIEWS

WA:
Pasini - I'm a big fan. Two great games now. Reads the play really well, great closing speed, a real competitor in one on ones, doesn't like to lose and has a good clearing kick on him. Has good AFL potential

Rivers - Wasn't 100% sold on him in the first game but had a better game today. There's a bit of Ben Jacobs about him, but he's a good user of the ball and gets in good position to receive. Decent in contests.

Robertson - He's just a solid as a rock player. Didnt put a foot wrong again, got plenty in the middle, did alright when down back, ran on the wing for a while. Very good.

Sharp - Loved his game again. Pace, height, attacks the play, takes it on, good confidence, not afraid to go for his kicks. I love him.

Jackson - Not as good as game 1 but still had the better of Burrows and Freitag

Garcia - He's fast becoming one of my favourites of the WA crop. Just a good footballer who knows how to position himself, knows how to use the ball, has decent physical traits, he's just a bit small. Plenty to work with.

SA:
Magor - He's one of my favourites of the SA crop this year and today showed why. Played a role down back, won his position, wins the hard ball, uses it really well. I like him better in the midfield, but he was great as a stopping defender who can use it well out of the backline.

Hilder - One of the stars of the day. Good size at 196, I like that he goes for his marks, is strong in contests and has a good kick on him. Has shot up my rankings on that game.

Grivell - Another who did his role for the team. Is an interesting size, good agility, decent user of the ball. Probably needs a couple more tricks but keen to see a lot more of him.

Gould - Not his best day I thought. Was very sloppy early, made some poor choices with his disposal. Was very good in the second half though.

Finlay - A touch too short at 192 but is as wide as a house. Very strong, reads it well. Hilder looks better, but Finlay won't let you down.

Day - Gun. Didn't waste a disposal, was clever in contests, was dependable all day. One of SA's best for sure. Is a good size at 187, but yeah, has a body of an 11 year old at the moment.

Shute - 'Dwight' didn't have his best day, but I still like what he brings. Very athletic, good turn of pace, good size for a mid and is ready to play. Hoping he guns it next week.

Stephens - I agree with philthy in that I thought he was excellent. His contested work was impressive for someone who's largely an outside type. Great agility, can turn on a dime, good user of the ball, has jets. Well in the running for a top 5 pick and should be well in the running for our pick.

Park - Played well. Hadn't really seen much of him before, but had a good day on a wing.

Tucker - Busy, but overall didn't do much

Taheny - See above for my thoughts. Has to get involved more, but was deadly when he had it

Sladojevic - I can't remember him touching the ball

Morris - Disappointing. Bad leading, bad positioning, poor second efforts. Got some of the ball up on a wing and through the middle but as a forward he did nought.

Pickett - Kicked goal of the day, seemed busy around the packs and laid some tackles but just didn't get into the game at all.

Mead - Quiet one. Looked quicker out there than I thought he would be, but just couldn't find a way to impact the game.

Edwards - Was my pick for BOG. Looked like he could play AFL tomorrow. Perfect back flankers game. Directed the ball, found space, dropped in the hole numerous times, was courageous, showed class in his disposal and wasn't afraid o run up the ground quite a bit too. Gun.

Now that everyone has played, heres my early AA team:

B: Butler, Hilder, Ash
HB: Young, McAsey, Rivers
C: Sharp, Robertson, Stephens
HF: Worrell, Smith, Hollands
F: Weightman, Taylor, Henry

R: Jackson, Rowell, Serong

I: O'Neill, Day, Anderson, Edwards

Also Weightman over the other midget Vic country forward (Cahill) is interesting. I’ve kind of ignored them both as players I don’t want at port under Hinkley.

Also was kemp close to that list ? I’ve probably liked him better than rivers but my view of rivers was probably overly coloured by my first sighting of him gawking at Worrell taking a mark like a star struck schoolgirl seeing Justin Bieber at the mall. I’ve probably missed a lot of good rivers has done since but I hold grudges.

Also Weightman over the other midget Vic country forward (Cahill) is interesting. I’ve kind of ignored them both as players I don’t want at port under Hinkley.

Also was kemp close to that list ? I’ve probably liked him better than rivers but my view of rivers was probably overly coloured by my first sighting of him gawking at Worrell taking a mark like a star struck schoolgirl seeing Justin Bieber at the mall. I’ve probably missed a lot of good rivers has done since but I hold grudges.

Flanders, Kemp, Randall and Baldi unlucky not to sneak in.

I like Cahill a lot more than I like Weightman, but Weightman has had a slightly better champs at this point.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is there anyone in the pick 8-10 bracket who stands out on upside and need for Port's first pick? The vic country kids are looking very low risk.

Hell yes. Lots of guys I love

Dylan stepthens
Serong
Flanders
Young
Kemp

My first choices for 1st pick. Any of them would be insanely awesome.

Also very keen on O’Neill. And lots of others for our second.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone going to the alberton games this weekend?

I’m tempted and was thinking about it but also a full day of football might make my missus go postal so I’m going to suss it out. Try the old ‘you should catch up with a friend and have a nice day you deserve it’ trick to distract her from wanting to spend time with me.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I read that Taheny is out of the sa side this week with a corkie. He had some negative comments about limping around last week looking sooky. He was still the leading goal kicker despite little meaningful supply. Just saying I wouldn’t be judging him too harshly on that performance given he was genuinely injured. I assume port are following him very closely given our need for goal kickers.

Williams and Jeka are named for metro. They both have missed football with injuries. It will be interesting to see how they go as they both had early hype.

Allies well on top hut not putting it on the board. WA breaking down at HF.

Green and Campbell good for Allies. Rosas been a livewire up forward with 2 or 3 great bits of play.

Robertson and Murphy good for WA. Jackson good in the ruck. Sharp starting to get into it

Wa with two good goals late. 6 points in it at half time.

Elijah Taylor is very very good.

We will chew up a few mid range picks for Mead but I hope we focus on the draft this year.

No more fringe dwellers and bin dipping other clubs.

Both teams have been wasteful.

Rosas had a great 70m run and then muffed the last bounce as he was running into goal

Both teams have been wasteful.

Rosas had a great 70m run and then muffed the last bounce as he was running into goal

Sounds like Ryan on Thursday night

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jeremy Sharp just as impressive in the flesh as on video

I think he’s gonna be a big unit after a few preseasons.

My issue with him is when I’ve watched him he hasn’t taken marks in defense, hasn’t intercepted, hasn’t contested aerial balls, don’t see him putting pressure on forwards. So I’m not sure what he is doing down there when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands.

Having said that I’ve only seen about half this game

Vic Metro were very good, especially after half time. A lot of the big name SA guys were down.

Gould started at FF for who knows what reason and by halfway through the 2nd quarter hadn't had a touch, so went to the backline and got into the game. Stephens was a bit down. Mead was below average.

SA's forward line is just not very good. Morris has kicked goals for fun this year but has barely had a kick in the two games. Sladojevic kicked the first goal, then had maybe 3 other kicks for the day and turned it over each time. Coff didnt have a touch in the forward line. Pickett super disappointing, just didnt get near it. Tucker tries real hard and had some good moments.

Some of the second stringers were really good - Searle, Shoenberg, Shute, Magor was very good again, Hilder good down back.

Anderson was BOG today. Stunning game. Worrell good up forward. Rowell was a grower, thought he was well held in the first half but his second half was stunning. Carafa played really well, Bianco was good early, Mahony was handy. Ralphsmith had his best game for the Champs. Maginness close to BOG. Sturgess a rock down back. Jeka took 3 or 4 really good marks.

How did oneill go

Pretty good. Solid without being a real standout.

I need to watch that game again though. White numbers on teal is not easy to pick up

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who are the hard kids out there who can play and you would want in the trenches?

Hayden young the number 1 guy. Serong will hunt the ball and is very aggressive but small.

Robertson probably fits that description.

I’m sure there is lots of others.

For me I’m going to throw up Dylan Stephens though. I’ve never heard anyone describe him as tough but he is a 73kg running outside midfielder that fights very hard inside against much bigger bodies. If he can do that now I can’t wait to see what he can do when he gains size.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Vic Metro were very good, especially after half time. A lot of the big name SA guys were down.

Gould started at FF for who knows what reason and by halfway through the 2nd quarter hadn't had a touch, so went to the backline and got into the game. Stephens was a bit down. Mead was below average.

SA's forward line is just not very good. Morris has kicked goals for fun this year but has barely had a kick in the two games. Sladojevic kicked the first goal, then had maybe 3 other kicks for the day and turned it over each time. Coff didnt have a touch in the forward line. Pickett super disappointing, just didnt get near it. Tucker tries real hard and had some good moments.

Some of the second stringers were really good - Searle, Shoenberg, Shute, Magor was very good again, Hilder good down back.

Anderson was BOG today. Stunning game. Worrell good up forward. Rowell was a grower, thought he was well held in the first half but his second half was stunning. Carafa played really well, Bianco was good early, Mahony was handy. Ralphsmith had his best game for the Champs. Maginness close to BOG. Sturgess a rock down back. Jeka took 3 or 4 really good marks.

For me the sa champs have really put forward McNeil day Schoenberg Shute hilder and Magor’s names.

These guys could all be bargains in the draft.

Back