List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Mead play at any level. His stats typically look good when playing under age footy, and it seems that he is a decent goal kicker.

What I've gleaned from comments here and there, is that he is a bit more outside-than-inside, a very neat kick on both sides of his body, fairly undersized (in terms of height) and perhaps more of a half forward flanker than a midfielder. I have no sense of his pace, acceleration, evasiveness or hardness at the ball.

So to Macca and others who have seen a bit of him, some simple questions please:
1. How confident are you that he is AFL capable?

2. Would he make an impact in his first 1-2 years? If so, in what position and which current players on our list could you see him playing ahead of in 2020-21?

3. Where will he ultimately play? Do you forecast him as an A-grade, B=grade, talent etc

4. What excites you most about him, and what least?

5. Who would you liken him to most on our list or from another club?

Many thanks in advance.

Last year and in the lead up to champs he was really neither inside nor outside. He sat outside packs waiting for handballs or as I like to refer to it as the scab role. He wasn’t winning first touch nor gut running to receive.

After a disappointing start imo to champs he went inside and I thought he at least showed some instinct and quickness of mind that maybe that might be his go.

Negatives are he is slow. If he’s playing inside winning the ball it’s not really an issue if you have the right balance but if he plays elsewhere I’m unsure. Maybe gets negated by smart running etc. apparently his testing is dead slow but in champs it didn’t seem to be a real problem but afl is a different beast.

Kicking is super. Weights kicks as well as anyone. Unfortunately if he’s an inside mid at afl level with no breakaway speed that kick won’t get used that much, and I don’t like him playing outside as he hasn’t shown the gut running you want from a slower mid.

1. I’m not particularly confident. I think he is a chance
2. It’s possible. He’s physically been mature for years now. He’s not growing into his body.
3. Not sure
4. Previously -Kicking. After champs - possible inside ability due to instinct / mental speed
5. Unsure. If he’s going to make it I think it’s as something like a Sam Mitchell. That’s very wishful thinking though, and if he doesn’t develop into something like Sam Mitchell I don’t see what he will be at afl level.

Last year and in the lead up to champs he was really neither inside nor outside. He sat outside packs waiting for handballs or as I like to refer to it as the scab role. He wasn’t winning first touch nor gut running to receive.

After a disappointing start imo to champs he went inside and I thought he at least showed some instinct and quickness of mind that maybe that might be his go.

Negatives are he is slow. If he’s playing inside winning the ball it’s not really an issue if you have the right balance but if he plays elsewhere I’m unsure. Maybe gets negated by smart running etc. apparently his testing is dead slow but in champs it didn’t seem to be a real problem but afl is a different beast.

Kicking is super. Weights kicks as well as anyone. Unfortunately if he’s an inside mid at afl level with no breakaway speed that kick won’t get used that much, and I don’t like him playing outside as he hasn’t shown the gut running you want from a slower mid.

2. It’s possible. He’s physically been mature for years now. He’s not growing into his body.
3. Not sure
4. Previously -Kicking. After champs - possible inside ability due to instinct / mental speed
5. Unsure. If he’s going to make it I think it’s as something like a Sam Mitchell. That’s very wishful thinking though, and if he doesn’t develop into something like Sam Mitchell I don’t see what he will be at afl level.

Thanks - a little less positive than I had hoped but great to have such a thoughtful review of his strengths and weaknesses

Thanks - a little less positive than I had hoped but great to have such a thoughtful review of his strengths and weaknesses

I am notably the one with the most concerns on him here.

Having said that half the guys on the draft board were going off his stats and some vision of his school grand finals last year and they were not as critical of him as they should have been and I think they’ve been happy to talk him up as a first round pick.

He should have come into the year as a top 25-40 pick and evaluated from there come champs instead of what we got. His opening to champs was as bad as anything we saw this year from a highly rated player and no one was even remotely critical of him. He got given a gold pass from Bigfootys Vic based draft watchers.

His late champs form (where he played much more inside) was heaps better.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Mead play at any level. His stats typically look good when playing under age footy, and it seems that he is a decent goal kicker.

What I've gleaned from comments here and there, is that he is a bit more outside-than-inside, a very neat kick on both sides of his body, fairly undersized (in terms of height) and perhaps more of a half forward flanker than a midfielder. I have no sense of his pace, acceleration, evasiveness or hardness at the ball.

So to Macca and others who have seen a bit of him, some simple questions please:
1. How confident are you that he is AFL capable?

2. Would he make an impact in his first 1-2 years? If so, in what position and which current players on our list could you see him playing ahead of in 2020-21?

3. Where will he ultimately play? Do you forecast him as an A-grade, B=grade, talent etc

4. What excites you most about him, and what least?

5. Who would you liken him to most on our list or from another club?

Many thanks in advance.

I wouldn't say he's undersized in height. He's apparently 184cm which is good enough, but he plays short. He is an elite kick, one of the best in the draft pool so that's a big tick. He's slow, so that's a big cross.

He's smart as a flanker at lower levels. With the pace of the AFL i'm not sure a forward flanker role would suit him at all. He gets good numbers in the midfield. He had an ordinary first game at the champs but the rest of his champs was very good and he made AA for a reason.

1. Needs to find some pace and put on some bulk if he's going to play as a midfielder. There is talent there that makes him AFL capable, but all depends on continued development

2. I wouldn't expect to see him at all next year. Year 2 probably.

3. I think if he makes it it will be as a role player. I don't think he'll be an A grade AFL talent. Might be a decent B grader. Similar level to a Bonner or Amon type.

4. His skills are exceptional. He'd be in the top 5 in the draft for kicking. Not just the actual act of kicking, but his vision to spot someone quickly and execute the kick is really really good. He's good in and under. Lays tackles, can get first hands on the ball. I think he's the type you don't notice all the stuff he does. I think most games I've seen him play I've pegged him as having 4-5 touches below what I thought he did.

Needs to work on his pace somehow, needs to work on staying in the game more consistently

5. I think the player he reminds me of most, from a pure gameplay perspective, is Oli Florent in his draft year.

Overall, i'm excited by getting him, but i'm not going overboard. Fair chance he makes it, also fair chance he doesn't.

I just said in another thread, IMO I think our aim will be to trade to get 2 picks before Mead, and leave ourselves with 2 low picks and a stack of 4th rounders.

There's no way we will keep pick 27 if we think Mead will go close to that. We will trade it out deep and try and get something else from that pick. Like clubs did last year.

Pick 27, Ryder and Amon maybe all on the table to try and get our 2nd pick inside Mead at around 20ish.

Was thinking the same thing. No doubt we would trading that pick once we have an idea or where Mead would fall. Its the reason we traded in all the 4th round picks.

I wouldn't say he's undersized in height. He's apparently 184cm which is good enough, but he plays short. He is an elite kick, one of the best in the draft pool so that's a big tick. He's slow, so that's a big cross.

He's smart as a flanker at lower levels. With the pace of the AFL i'm not sure a forward flanker role would suit him at all. He gets good numbers in the midfield. He had an ordinary first game at the champs but the rest of his champs was very good and he made AA for a reason.

1. Needs to find some pace and put on some bulk if he's going to play as a midfielder. There is talent there that makes him AFL capable, but all depends on continued development

2. I wouldn't expect to see him at all next year. Year 2 probably.

3. I think if he makes it it will be as a role player. I don't think he'll be an A grade AFL talent. Might be a decent B grader. Similar level to a Bonner or Amon type.

4. His skills are exceptional. He'd be in the top 5 in the draft for kicking. Not just the actual act of kicking, but his vision to spot someone quickly and execute the kick is really really good. He's good in and under. Lays tackles, can get first hands on the ball. I think he's the type you don't notice all the stuff he does. I think most games I've seen him play I've pegged him as having 4-5 touches below what I thought he did.

Needs to work on his pace somehow, needs to work on staying in the game more consistently

5. I think the player he reminds me of most, from a pure gameplay perspective, is Oli Florent in his draft year.

Overall, i'm excited by getting him, but i'm not going overboard. Fair chance he makes it, also fair chance he doesn't.

Sounds like Scott Pendlebury.

3. Not sure
Sounds like pre draft Rory Sloane.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riley Thilthorpe is in the Under-17 NAB All Stars 'Futures' clash on Grand Final morning.
This kid looks really good as a tall lead up forward and has already played a few games for West Adelaide seniors.
Tall and well built for his age (199cm and 96kg)

Looks real good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back