List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I know everyone likes McAsey but I have some concerns that make me want to pass on him.

McAsey signed with Connors Sports which is the player agent causing issues with clubs and also gets his clients 400k contracts in their 3rd and 4th years. Combining that with him being Vic Metro and having below average speed its just too much risk for me to want to use our first pick on him.

Went from early first rounder to not even invited to the draft all in the space of a couple weeks.
i guess we’ll see. could be great pick 18 imo

might be another weird one like how worpel and hayes dropped stupidly far

I've listened to a few interviews with Mead. He really doesn't sound like he is overly keen to come to port. Like I'm sure he will be happy to come to us, but doesn't sound like he has grown up dreaming of playing for port.
probably hasnt been guaranteed Port will match so he can’t overcommit

I know everyone likes McAsey but I have some concerns that make me want to pass on him.

McAsey signed with Connors Sports which is the player agent causing issues with clubs and also gets his clients 400k contracts in their 3rd and 4th years. Combining that with him being Vic Metro and having below average speed its just too much risk for me to want to use our first pick on him.
I’m not overly excited about much around our pick.
Give the fat kid a go (Gould) at least he won’t be pushed over easy.

Gould would be a good pick up, skin folds would be one of the easiest things for a footballer to remedy i would've thought. I like the fact that he knows how to football first and foremost and is a man child so will be good to go from the get go with a decent pre season under his belt.

Got that stocky nuggety frame that would be hard to match up on.

definitely doesn't look in peak physical condition but not that far off, looks somewhere in between jeremy mcgovern and shannon hurn.

Gould would be a good pick up, skin folds would be one of the easiest things for a footballer to remedy i would've thought. I like the fact that he knows how to football first and foremost and is a man child so will be good to go from the get go with a decent pre season under his belt.

Got that stocky nuggety frame that would be hard to match up on.

definitely doesn't look in peak physical condition but not that far off, looks somewhere in between jeremy mcgovern and shannon hurn.
Yeh man. Being a bit fatter doesn't make you any less talented.

Gould will slide massively IMO.

Sorry, but putting on that much weight before the draft is like rocking up to a job interview in shorts and thongs. It’s one thing to celebrate a premiership but it’s another to completely write yourself off physically like he did. Is it a ploy to stay in Adelaide and get to the Crows? If so, why would you want him?

Any chance we trade in another top 20 pick for this year? I thinking something like Gold Coast's 15 and 20 for our 2020 first and 29?

I hope whatever we do, we don't trade out a future first rounder. Not a good ploy given where we could finish on the ladder

Compare Gould to Mead:

Port Adelaide father-son nominee Jackson Mead is The Professional.

When members of South Australia’s under-18 team are asked who the most switched on player in their 2019 squad was, the answer is unanimous.

“Jackson was the most professional in our team, his professionalism is second to none,’’ said captain Will Gould, who played in Glenelg’s league premiership team this year at the tender age of 18.

“He just ticks every box.’’

Mead – the 18-year-old son of triple Port Adelaide SANFL premiership defender and inaugural Power club champion Darren Mead – has such attention to detail that it has become legendary among those who know him.

Norwood’s Dylan Stephens – tipped to be the first SANFL player picked at the November 27 national draft – recalls rooming with Mead at the AFL under-17 Futures games in Melbourne last year and being blown away by his professionalism.

“Like Gouldy said, it’s second to none,’’ midfielder Stephens said.

“I was rooming with him and lying in bed watching TV and he’s on the roller for 45 minutes and then saying, ‘let’s go to the pool and do some recovery work’.

“He’s just flat out with it and I learnt a lot from him by just the way he goes about it, with what he eats, he’s elite, the most professional of our SA crew.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare Gould to Mead:

Port Adelaide father-son nominee Jackson Mead is The Professional.

When members of South Australia’s under-18 team are asked who the most switched on player in their 2019 squad was, the answer is unanimous.

“Jackson was the most professional in our team, his professionalism is second to none,’’ said captain Will Gould, who played in Glenelg’s league premiership team this year at the tender age of 18.

“He just ticks every box.’’

Mead – the 18-year-old son of triple Port Adelaide SANFL premiership defender and inaugural Power club champion Darren Mead – has such attention to detail that it has become legendary among those who know him.

Norwood’s Dylan Stephens – tipped to be the first SANFL player picked at the November 27 national draft – recalls rooming with Mead at the AFL under-17 Futures games in Melbourne last year and being blown away by his professionalism.

“Like Gouldy said, it’s second to none,’’ midfielder Stephens said.

“I was rooming with him and lying in bed watching TV and he’s on the roller for 45 minutes and then saying, ‘let’s go to the pool and do some recovery work’.

“He’s just flat out with it and I learnt a lot from him by just the way he goes about it, with what he eats, he’s elite, the most professional of our SA crew.’’
Whilst that’s good, I see a player whose extra intense with training and preparation pre-draft we like a player whose already a man-child. In that I wonder how much improvement they’ve left in them. Given a slacker and a professional at 17/18 playing to the same level I’d expect the former to have a higher ceiling. Whether they’ll reach it is a different question.

Whilst that’s good, I see a player whose extra intense with training and preparation pre-draft we like a player whose already a man-child. In that I wonder how much improvement they’ve left in them. Given a slacker and a professional at 17/18 playing to the same level I’d expect the former to have a higher ceiling. Whether they’ll reach it is a different question.
Same things said of Baily Smith last year. It's no concern. Having professional habits from before the draft is definitely a bonus. Habits last a lifetime.

I think Gould may slide too. I haven't seen enough of him to know myself, butDraft Central rate his speed as "Below Average". They use testing results as well as in game observations. This is the major concern for me. Others had claimed he has a burst of pace. While there are doubts about his pace, he is in the "don't want" category.

"The paperwork does not guarantee Port will select Mead - a member of its father-son academy - but it gives the club the option of matching a bid made for him.

Fremantle and Hawthorn appear the clubs most likely to try to hijack the Power's plans, with Mead revealing the two clubs were “keen earlier in the year’’.

Strongly built at 194cm and 83kg, Mead said he had been interviewed by the Crows but that they had told him the chances of him ending up at West Lakes were ‘’minimal’’ after Port nominated him as a father-son prospect.

Having played two league games for the Eagles in rounds 14 and 16, he said it would be a dream come true to play for Port."

Hawthorn has 30. They are no chance to hijack our plans.

Fremantle might with 22...but I'd like to think part of the Hill/Howard trade was that they wouldn't bid on Mead.

Gould will slide massively IMO.

Sorry, but putting on that much weight before the draft is like rocking up to a job interview in shorts and thongs. It’s one thing to celebrate a premiership but it’s another to completely write yourself off physically like he did. Is it a ploy to stay in Adelaide and get to the Crows? If so, why would you want him?
Gould is a bit different than the school boys - he's had a year at Uni and has been living in a share house. He's enjoyed his year by both winning a SANFL grand final (and being one of the best) but he's also had some fun. If he'd been living at home with his parents (or still in the boarding house at PAC) he'd be leaner. I don't think we can judge him by this year and putting on a few kegs after the footy season finished. He's lost 5kgs in just the past few weeks - he'll be just fine once he's planning professional footy.

Any chance we trade in another top 20 pick for this year? I thinking something like Gold Coast's 15 and 20 for our 2020 first and 29?

What would that achieve? A stupid idea.

We need picks next year and beyond for father/sons AND NGA.

2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2020 - Lachlan Jones (NGA)
2021 - Jace Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen

What would that achieve? A stupid idea.

We need picks next year and beyond for father/sons AND NGA.

2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2020 - Lachlan Jones (NGA)
2021 - Jace Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen
Only need to keep out first rounder if Taj and Jones very high up the order. We can always trade back into the second round if we need to.

"The paperwork does not guarantee Port will select Mead - a member of its father-son academy - but it gives the club the option of matching a bid made for him.

Fremantle and Hawthorn appear the clubs most likely to try to hijack the Power's plans, with Mead revealing the two clubs were “keen earlier in the year’’.

Strongly built at 194cm and 83kg, Mead said he had been interviewed by the Crows but that they had told him the chances of him ending up at West Lakes were ‘’minimal’’ after Port nominated him as a father-son prospect.

Having played two league games for the Eagles in rounds 14 and 16, he said it would be a dream come true to play for Port."

Hawthorn has 30. They are no chance to hijack our plans.

Fremantle might with 22...but I'd like to think part of the Hill/Howard trade was that they wouldn't bid on Mead.
194 s**t his grown lol

Couple questions.

With picks 12 and 18: Is there a key forward or fwd/ruck we can get,

Fisher McAsey can play key forward so he's an option. Josh Worrell as well.

Luke Jackson would be the only Ruck/Fwd, but he's more ruck, less fwd. Clubs will try and develop his forward craft more.

Jack Bell is an option late.

and is there any fast wingers, or medium/small defenders that play on the last line of defence (not talking about flankers that can't defend).

In terms of fast wingers, these are some guys that can play there:
Trent Bianco
Mitch O'Neill
Jeremy Sharp
Dylan Stephens
Darcy Cassar

Some later options:
Flynn Perez
Ryan Sparkes
Daly Andrews
Josh Shute
Brady Rowles
Isaac Wareham
Angus Hanrahan
Ryan Gardner
Leo Connolly

In terms of defenders that you are after:
Lachlan Ash
Ben Johnson
Brock Smith
Elliot Dunkin
Harrison Magor
Harrison Pepper

Fisher McAsey can play key forward so he's an option. Josh Worrell as well.

Luke Jackson would be the only Ruck/Fwd, but he's more ruck, less fwd. Clubs will try and develop his forward craft more.

Jack Bell is an option late.

In terms of fast wingers, these are some guys that can play there:
Trent Bianco
Mitch O'Neill
Jeremy Sharp
Dylan Stephens
Darcy Cassar

Some later options:
Flynn Perez
Ryan Sparkes
Daly Andrews
Josh Shute
Brady Rowles
Isaac Wareham
Angus Hanrahan
Ryan Gardner
Leo Connolly

In terms of defenders that you are after:
Lachlan Ash
Ben Johnson
Brock Smith
Elliot Dunkin
Harrison Magor
Harrison Pepper
Who are your dream picks at 12 and then 18 Macca?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back