Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-30/u18-championships-20-young-guns-to-watch

THE NEXT generation of AFL stars will take the field over the next month throughout the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

This year's carnival starts on Saturday, when Vic Metro and Vic Country lock horns at the MCG at 10.35am local time.

Solid summary. Probably another 10 players who are solid, becomes speculative after that. Championships may change that though. Going to be an intriguing few weeks

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
It’s a disappointing year for there to be no key position players at the pointy end of the draft but another exciting bunch from SA.

Dylan Stephens sounds like the midfielder we need, although we might need to tank/trade our way into a top 5 pick. I’ve heard him variously compared Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly.

Gould maybe fills less of a short term need for us but looks like an absolute certainty to play a heap of AFL football. The end will come fast for Tom Jonas and Gould is a similar type but with a beautiful long kick.

Tahney fits a need as a dangerous medium forward. It will be interesting to see if he can dominate the championships.

Last edited:
Stephens is the one we need to pick if we have the chance. Would fit into our side seamlessly.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder what we would have to trade to grab those two?

Dunno. I’m really unsure where Stephens is rated in clubland but imagine he is in that 3-8 group. Can’t see us trading into that position unless we use next years first and trade with gws for dons pick.

Taheny could go anywhere. Crows fans are probably hoping he will be available at their Carlton second rounder.

Dunno. I’m really unsure where Stephens is rated in clubland but imagine he is in that 3-8 group. Can’t see us trading into that position unless we use next years first and trade with gws for dons pick.

Taheny could go anywhere. Crows fans are probably hoping he will be available at their Carlton second rounder.

Taheny should be long gone by then. Pretty sure clubs rate him very highly.

Stephens might be there at our first pick.

Looks like a big upset today. Can't wait to watch it

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah I wasn’t sure how clubs rate him. Strange one to rate cause he will sometimes only get like 6 touches but get 3 goals from that lol. The game vs the magpies was something like that. Made all his goals look like training drills but invisible aside from that.

I would be stoked if Stephens was available at our pick and also surprised. But lots of kids putting their name up for top ten especially today. No one will trade out of there unless gws does for points.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dean was very underwhelming for possibly the highest rated tall forward in the draft? Metro didn't seem to have a lot of draftable kids so I assume the draft will be shallow. Young looked like a quality player for country. Country just had much more run than metro.

wayb2912

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2009
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Just watching the under 18 championships. Am I the only person who thinks Rowell is overrated. Just a hard working mid, not a generational player. Doesn't seem to have any outstanding x factor attributes. If Adelaide take him pick 1 ill be very happy.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just watching the under 18 championships. Am I the only person who thinks Rowell is overrated. Just a hard working mid, not a generational player. Doesn't seem to have any outstanding x factor attributes. If Adelaide take him pick 1 ill be very happy.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anderson looked like he had more potential than Rowell. Young looked quality but he is a flanker. I suppose Rowell is low risk but his kicking is nothing special.

Anderson has more x factor and spark and would be my pick for #1.

Rowell looks like a sure thing though. I know some recruiters who would have picked him at 1 last year had he been eligible. Theres not much wrong with his game. Hes very good at everything

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham

today threw up more questions than answers

my favourite type of 18s game :)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If serong was a fraction taller he would be a lock for top 3.

In the respect that port is very good at turning players into running machines serong would be perfect for us.. I’m confident port would be as good a chance as anyone to develop serong into a great mid.

In reality when we already have butters and Farrell drafting another 178cm mid/forward might not be the best fit.

I think he is the type our recruiters would love too. Is incredibly active, Hard and quick.

Back