Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Tony Bamford flirted with the idea of seeing Gould in the midfield in the champs. Could see him lock himself in the first 10 and challenge the 5

What's the quality of this years top end, say top 10, in comparison to other years ??

Last years is shaping up to be the best of all time.

Its probably on par with a 2016. There's 4 standout elite guys (Anderson, Rowell, Young, Flanders) and then the next batch of probably 11 players who are the rung below.

Last year I had 9 elite guys, then a batch of 14 in the rung below that.

Macca19 how do you rate the key defenders of this draft and who would be your target?

This could really be the worst talls draft of all time. 2016 was bad, this is probably on par if not a bit below. It's why we saw someone like Brodie Kemp playing as a quasi KPD on the weekend and why someone like James Schischka might play there too.

Gould is the standout but he's not really a true KPD.

Brodie Newman is a 193cm intercept defender. He looks alright, though was disappointed in his game on the weekend. Has played well for Calder this year though.

Sam De Koning is 200cm so good height, but is stick thin and very laconic. Could be good though. Played well on the weekend.

Josh Worrell is 193cm so KPD height but I like him more as a runner.

Fischer McAsey is 196cm and probably the best pure KPD in the draft. very good defensively but can take marks and has decent skills. Likes a scrap.

I'm a fan of Finlay who's 192cm from North Adelaide. Reads the play really well, good one on one, great skills. Worth a look.

Haven't seen enough of Grivell to form an opinion yet.

I think i've got 4 KPD's in my top 60 so it's pretty bare. KPF's aren't much better.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This could really be the worst talls draft of all time. 2016 was bad, this is probably on par if not a bit below. It's why we saw someone like Brodie Kemp playing as a quasi KPD on the weekend and why someone like James Schischka might play there too.

Gould is the standout but he's not really a true KPD.

Brodie Newman is a 193cm intercept defender. He looks alright, though was disappointed in his game on the weekend. Has played well for Calder this year though.

Sam De Koning is 200cm so good height, but is stick thin and very laconic. Could be good though. Played well on the weekend.

Josh Worrell is 193cm so KPD height but I like him more as a runner.

Fischer McAsey is 196cm and probably the best pure KPD in the draft. very good defensively but can take marks and has decent skills. Likes a scrap.

I'm a fan of Finlay who's 192cm from North Adelaide. Reads the play really well, good one on one, great skills. Worth a look.

Haven't seen enough of Grivell to form an opinion yet.

I think i've got 4 KPD's in my top 60 so it's pretty bare. KPF's aren't much better.

Very poor for kf but I don’t think drafts are normally that much more stocked for key defenders than this year?

I mean 2017 had naughton (who is now a kf) brander (who was a swingman I don’t know if he’s forward or back now?) Noah balta Sam Taylor and Harrison petty

I reckon that’s probably an example of a deep key defender draft and a hard one to match quality wise.

2016 had logue battle and Cox.

Extremely shallow year for key defenders. Battle has only just moved back.

2015 had weitering , Francis , himmelberg doedee burton , Ben Mackay and Kieren Collins.

Pretty decent haul but a couple of those are busts.

I think 2019 will end up looking alright in hindsight. Would be fairly stoked to land any one of this years crop at the right pick.

Last edited:
Dad was only 188cm’s, doubt the spurt will come

Darren Mead is regularly listed as 193cm from his player bios. I think that was about right. Was already 191cm as a young player at Port.

I still wouldn't count on a growth spurt. But some running training with Boak will be a bonus. Doesn't need to show all his wares before draft night ;)

Very poor for kf but I don’t think drafts are normally that much more stocked for key defenders than this year?

I mean 2017 had naughton (who is now a kf) brander (who was a swingman I don’t know if he’s forward or back now?) Noah balta Sam Taylor and Harrison petty

I reckon that’s probably an example of a deep key defender draft and a hard one to match quality wise.

2016 had logue battle and Cox.

Extremely shallow year for key defenders. Battle has only just moved back.

2015 had weitering , Francis , himmelberg doedee burton , Ben Mackay and Kieren Collins.

Pretty decent haul but a couple of those are busts.

I think 2019 will end up looking alright in hindsight. Would be fairly stoked to land any one of this years crop at the right pick.

2016 was a very good year for KPDs.

Logue, Ridley, McClarty, Watson, Rotham, Battle (if he counts), Cox, Maibaum, Young & Macreadie all went in the top 50. Some of those haven't made it, some of those are yet to impact and some have been alright, but going in it was a very deep draft for KPDs.

2017 had Naughton, Brander, Balta, Taylor, Petty, Clavarino, Payne & Zerk-Thatcher. Pretty deep again. 6 inside the top 40.

We'll see how it goes but at the moment, I can see maybe 4 going in the top 50, and 2 of them aren't even really KPD's. Good value late and through the rookie draft, but its looking light for top end KPD talent.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its probably on par with a 2016. There's 4 standout elite guys (Anderson, Rowell, Young, Flanders) and then the next batch of probably 11 players who are the rung below.

Last year I had 9 elite guys, then a batch of 14 in the rung below that.

I think Stephens could make it a top 5. Taheny, Sharp, Serong, Ash and maybe Worrell and Williams, should make it a strong top 10.

The KPP depth is very poor. All the KPP prospects are raw. Jeka has been injured and hasn’t shown the form of last year. I still see him as the most likely of the KPFs. Dean seems a little slow and one dimensional. The SA lads have a leg up as some are playing league but it’s hard to read the skill of the KPDs as they aren’t playing on good forwards their own age.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2016 was a very good year for KPDs.

Logue, Ridley, McClarty, Watson, Rotham, Battle (if he counts), Cox, Maibaum, Young & Macreadie all went in the top 50. Some of those haven't made it, some of those are yet to impact and some have been alright, but going in it was a very deep draft for KPDs.

2017 had Naughton, Brander, Balta, Taylor, Petty, Clavarino, Payne & Zerk-Thatcher. Pretty deep again. 6 inside the top 40.

We'll see how it goes but at the moment, I can see maybe 4 going in the top 50, and 2 of them aren't even really KPD's. Good value late and through the rookie draft, but its looking light for top end KPD talent.

Of the 2016 group, love the look of Battle and Rotham who I reckon will be long term players for their respective clubs. Logue has a lot of potential, injuries have afflicted his time in the AFL so it remains to be seen he's got what it takes. Cox also very talented, not sure the extent to which he makes it though. I note Young and Macreadie have both recently broken in for games, but haven't really formed an assessment on them.

Taylor has been sensational for a KPD so inexperienced. Easily see him becoming an All Australian 250 game player. Naughton is obviously now a very exciting full forward, I hope he can really kick on with his career and become a dominant player because it's always great to see exponents of the contested mark do well. Balta seems to have stitched up his future as a second ruckman / roving wrecking ball which suits him rather than a more defined and restricted role forward or back. Brander is going ok for the Eagles reserves, but seems to be playing more midfield than anything which I still feel is an unlikely future for him at AFL level, I've liked him as a CHB more.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Via Chris25 last weekend stats with a large number of under 18s already playing league & reserves:

League
Will Gould - 19 touches, 7 marks, 5 rebound 50s
Dylan Stephens - 25 touches, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s
Cameron Taheny - 9 touches, 6 marks, 5 goals

Reserves
Angus Rana - 6 touches, 29 hitouts
Dyson Hilder - 9 touches, 4 marks
Brady Searle - 16 touches, 6 clearances, 8 inside 50s
Declan Carmody - 12 touches, 8 tackles
Jackson Mead - 22 touches, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Darnell Tucker - 19 touches, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s
Daniel Sladojevic - 14 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal
Oliver Grivell - 14 touches, 4 rebound 50s
Josh Shute - 14 touches, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
Jed McEntee - 15 touches, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 1 goal
Lachlan Burrows - 10 touches, 7 tackles, 14 hitouts, 1 goal
Jordan O'Brien - 13 touches, 4 tackles

U18s
Harrison Magor - 37 touches, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 7 clearances
Luke Edwards - 26 touches, 11 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Callum Park - 22 touches, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50s
Corey Durdin - 28 touches, 7 marks, 7 inside 50s
Jack Carpenter - 24 touches, 8 marks, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Riley Thilthorpe - 18 touches, 5 marks, 6 rebound 50s
Tom Rundle - 13 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Damon Freitag - 15 touches, 8 marks, 15 hitouts, 5 clearances, 3 goals
Harry Schoenberg - 25 touches, 5 tackles, 7 clearances
Jamie Coff - 19 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Just finished the replay of the Metro vs Country game.

Hayden Young. Wow. That’s as good an individual game as you’ll see. Reads the play really well but it’s his disposal that’s next level. He kept going for kicks inside where I’d cringe thinking he tried to bite of too much but he hit the target every single time. Hope he gets some midfield minutes during the champs.

Overall, enjoyable game but I think WA and SA would be loving their chances at a title this year. Vic Metro are basically Melbourne, a few good inside mids but no key position players, outside runners and questionable depth.

A few stray thoughts on players:

Dow - there is so much to like about his game, actually quite similar to his brother, but his kicking is a bit of a disaster. The kind of guy you like to watch but hope another team drafts.

Flanders - he looks like Darcy Lang’s dad.

Rowell - first game I’ve ever seen where he wasn’t best on ground. Probably second best. He’s my number 1.

Comben - the surprise packet for me. Was good in the ruck, good around the ground and lively up forward. Think he might be a touch short to be a dominant AFL ruck? Big frame though. I thought in the first half he could maybe be a Nathan Vardy type as a negating second ruck and ok forward. In the third quarter I thought he reminded me a bit of Dougal Howard in his first year at the Magpies. Keen to see more and interested to know how well he tests athletically. I’d draft him.

Ash - very good. Way better then when I saw him in the game against Casey. Thought he was a bit of a bomb scare that day. I’d like to see him against better opposition and ideally play 5 weeks of league football before using an early draft pick.

Newman - liked his game although another midsized half back isn’t high on Port’s priority list.

Martin - has tricks and smart with ball in hand. On the raw side which makes him intriguing. Keen to see more.

Cahill - a bright light in a game where not many forwards showed a lot. Once he got involved Country got on top. He’s a nugget and snapped a Paul Chapman like left foot goal at one point.

Serong - I mean this in the best possible way - I didn’t really notice him - think Dion Prestia.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok I'm confused.
Pickett wasn't thought to be eligible but now is?
Pickett is not eligible?
Pickett was thought to be eligible but now isn't?

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d still like to think we might draft Kossie Pickett . Looks like he”ll be around pick 10-20 so there’s a chance we’d pick him up.
I guess if he explodes at the Carnival he’d shoot up into the top 10 .
Either way he would probably have to be our first pick so a lot may depend on wether we rate him that highly . I’m assuming we’d probably pick up Jackson Mead with the second pick .
I think uncle Byron’s advice about being careful off field who he hangs out with etc. I think Byron’s own experiences may have been the reason he didn’t get picked up by Port originally.
Yet to be seen but the young fella is definitely an excitement machine . Didn’t see Byron get up too high but Kossie flies like a bird .
Byron snrs. brother Norm Pickett was nicknamed Ansett from his high flying exploits .

Back