It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Caught up on the Vic Country vs Allies game. So many draftable players running around for Country it was enjoyable to watch even if the score line was one sided. All the big names, Young, Serong, Ash, Kemp, Hollands (2020) showed their stuff.

If you had pick one you’d have to give serious consideration to Young. I can’t think of a player who kicks the ball as well as he does. At one stage he crumbed a ball at half back and got pinned running full pace on his opposite right boot and I thought this will be interesting no left footer with that good of a kick has ever been able to use their right boot but he still managed to angle a kick and drill a team mate on the wing.

I wish they would play Kemp in the middle. It just looks too easy for him playing at half back.

Rowles impressed me this week playing wing/half back. He’s got serious pace and I would not be at all surprised if he bolted up the phantom drafts over the back half of the year..

Josh Smith didn’t kick the goals he did last week but I was much more convinced by his game. Played higher up the ground and more through the ruck. Attacked the ball in the air like a mad man. I’d like him at Port.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Caught up on the Vic Country vs Allies game. So many draftable players running around for Country it was enjoyable to watch even if the score line was one sided. All the big names, Young, Serong, Ash, Kemp, Hollands (2020) showed their stuff.

If you had pick one you’d have to give serious consideration to Young. I can’t think of a player who kicks the ball as well as he does. At one stage he crumbed a ball at half back and got pinned running full pace on his opposite right boot and I thought this will be interesting no left footer with that good of a kick has ever been able to use their right boot but he still managed to angle a kick and drill a team mate on the wing.

I wish they would play Kemp in the middle. It just looks too easy for him playing at half back.

Rowles impressed me this week playing wing/half back. He’s got serious pace and I would not be at all surprised if he bolted up the phantom drafts over the back half of the year..

Josh Smith didn’t kick the goals he did last week but I was much more convinced by his game. Played higher up the ground and more through the ruck. Attacked the ball in the air like a mad man. I’d like him at Port.

Young impressed me because you never see guys who play as tight as he plays in the back lines rack up as much of the ball. 27d for a guy who plays blanket defense is amazing.

That’s the 1st time I’ve seen Brady Rowles, got a bit of it running the wings.

Riley Bonner?

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watched the first quarter of vm v wa and vc v allies as well as a bit of the first game.

Young, Ash and Serong were all brilliant. Flanders and Kemp looked slightly below their level but should be very good afl players.

Baldi, Weightman and Rowles looked like good players.

The Allies were being flogged so it was hard to notice O'Neil and Green.

Roberton, Jackson and Henry all played very well for WA. Sharp didn't look like much of an upgrade on Bonner.

McAsey was great as a kpd for metro. Rowell was underwhelming for pick 1? Anderson looks damaging. Worrell not sure about. His two contested mark / goals were really just standing there and putting his arms in the air!

Looking forward to seeing a bit of the SA kids and Taheny in particular.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watched the WA-Vic Metro replay, don't agree on your call about Rowell and Anderson. Thought Rowell was quietish, but still had a pretty solid game overall whereas I barely noticed Anderson at all. Really liked the games of Taylor up forward for WA as well as McAsey and Worrell - all showed some very nice takes in absolutely shithouse conditions. I rate Robertson, probably more a guy who you would take mid-to-late first round than a top liner but could become a solid contributor at AFL level. Is very much a midfielder though, so perhaps like another recent WA graduate, Brayden Ainsworth he will find it tricky to immediately get game time in an AFL midfield (I guess analogous to Atley here). Loved Jackson's game, was a little bit inexplicable how he fell out of the attention of draft watchers so far this season.

I don't know a heck of lot about the overall draft crop, but from what I saw there's a fair bit of AFL potential talent out there if that game is anything to go off.

Finally got around to watching WA v Vic Metro. Metro just don't play that well as a team. Country and WA have killed them in terms of running for each other and teamwork.

Player Reviews:

Robertson - There is plenty to work with here if you get him with a first rounder, which someone should. He's a gun. Good size, good running capacity, arc to arc, gets back, gets forward, wins the hard ball, contested beast. Not sure he fits us, but someone should grab him with a top 10 pick and be very happy

Rivers - He's a bit of a Hibberd clone. I like what he did, played with intent, took the game on, used it alright.

Sharp - Had 2 or 3 stinking disposals, but outside of that he was faultless in his running, in his outside play and his delivery. He seems to struggle a bit more with his long kicking. His short to mid sized kicking is very very good. Very quick. I'd love to get him. Him and Duursma on each wing would be great.

Garcia - Was my best on ground. Really enjoy how he plays. Yes he's a bit short but he's great at getting in and winning the ball, is a good tackler and is a very good user of the ball.

Ruscoe - Had a very very good game. Just wish he was 3-4cm taller.

Taylor - Loved the way he threw himself into marking contests and ground ball contests. Elite user of the ball. Reminds a lot of Curtis Taylor from last year. Surprise packet

Henry - Perfect crumber, good pace, full of x factor. Had some truly brilliant moments.

L Jackson - Yep, very good. goes back up my rankings now. Great athlete, good leap. His kicking is very mechanical but overall he's a very good package. Should go earlier than he will go.

Bennell - Absolute lightning quick and his goal was the goal of the day but he's very short. Rookie at best but could be another rookie success story

Pina - Did a good shut down role. Want to see him get more of it next match.

Vic Metro:
Rowell - Was "quiet" but was still in the top 3 players on the ground. Just lacked a bit of impact in what he did this week. Still, 24 touches, 8 clearances, 6 inside 50s and a goal on a down game is incredible.

Anderson - A lot of the ball but lacked impact outside. Capable of so much more

Worrell - Such a star. I love how he plays. Further up the ground this week. To go forward and kick 4 goals from a wing, 4 very good goals too was incredible. Would love him at Port.

Potter - Much better this week, but still lacking the trademark run. Was ten times cleaner with the ball.

Mott - Was good as a secondary mid. Finds space well, gets it inside. Will be a good value pick for someone.

McAsey - Was put under the pump and played great I thought. Crashed packs, spoiled the ball, took some marks, led the backline well.

Dean - Has almost made himself undraftable with his performances the last 2 weeks. Just another NAB bully.

Maginess - Much better this week. Similar to Mott, as a late 2nd/3rd rounder he'll be decent value.

Jones - Really like the way he goes about it. Very smooth in everything he does.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty well settled. We just take Worrell.
Might need a better pick though.

Worrell / Rozee is meant to be.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haven’t seen any stats but quick thoughts on the wa v sa game (missed the first 5 mins as was in and out of the room)

Sa won 46-35

Pickett - lively around the ball had one amazing play where he beat several players on the boundary and kicked a goal. Aside from that meh

Durdin - 2020 draft kid. Small but tenacious little ball hunter. Good second half and one of few Sa mids who looked okay.

Stephens - decent game one of few sa players holding sa in it early. Lots of nice little pickups in contested situations. Stephens would have benefited from having a wines type inside instead of sa relying on a guy who weighs less than a wet towel to fight ten west aussies for the clearance

Taheny - frustrates the hell out of me I can’t tell what he can be. Has moments of great play between hours of doing * knows what. Good overhead. Needs to be more than a 2 trick pony though. He’s one I think you can’t judge off screen need to see lots of games live.

Shute - ran the wings and looked ok.

Park - also running the wings. Surprised me I don’t know him at all but found a bit of it in 1st half. Sa has 2 long lean long kicking wingers that serve them pretty well.

Day - one of the best players on the ground. Great overhead, took 1 on 1 marks cleanly all day long. One touch in everything. Clean. 187-188cms (?) and I assume 13kgs.

Schoenberg- around it a bit I don’t know what to think of him

Morris - bad haircut

Mead - walked into the ground at half time and realised there was a football match on. Got more involved from there but one of Sa’s most disappointing players today.

McNeil - love so see how many touches he had because he was around the ball a lot. Got his hands on it everytime as well. I’m not sure what his level is but was a very good game from him.

Edwards - looked decent without having to do much. 2020 draft good size and played a role today on the back half.

Magor - played his role well

Gould - very good. his defensive work was good and rebounding and ball use very good. Loved seeing him push up the ground take a ball break through 14 tacklers to get a handpass off that resulted in a goal. Also loled at him picking up a wa kid off a pack with one hand like he was picking a shirt up off the floor.

Hilder - (195cm key defender) yeah I don’t get why he isn’t really highly rated. Marked everything with ease. Just knows how to stand under a ball and take it at a really high point. With his body he will be a beast in no time. I’m not sure how the rest of his game stacks up but moves ok so enough to work with.

Finlay - another tall defender marking everything. Sa won this game because of finlay Gould hilder and day. Finlay looks like the type who loves to run and jump at the ball while hilder likes to camp so they’re a great match. There would be a few teams in the afl that would be wise to draft both and continue that pairing I reckon.

Grivell did his part. Another I can’t really place just yet.

Without seeing stats I probably would have Gould hilder finlay day Stephens and McNeil as Sa’s best today.

Didn’t watch wa closely at all.

From wa Luke Jackson put in his best game so far. Tap work better than I’ve seen previously but he was against smaller rucks than he will face in the afl.

Sharp was sharp. Always looks good running and he is for sure an afl player , but he’s an afl player who might piss his teams fans off after a while. He is a fair sized unit though.

Robertson Robertsoned. Could win the medal for best over the champs whatever that medal is called. He demolished Sa’s inside mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ravenhawke

Debutant
Jun 3, 2018
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven’t seen any stats but quick thoughts on the wa v sa game (missed the first 5 mins as was in and out of the room)

Taheny - frustrates the hell out of me I can’t tell what he can be. Has moments of great play between hours of doing **** knows what. Good overhead. Needs to be more than a 2 trick pony though. He’s one I think you can’t judge off screen need to see lots of games live.

Day - one of the best players on the ground. Great overhead, took 1 on 1 marks cleanly all day long. One touch in everything. Clean. 187-188cms (?) and I assume 13kgs.

Robertson Robertsoned. Could win the medal for best over the champs whatever that medal is called. He demolished Sa’s inside mids.

Robertson or Serong for mine in regards to the medal, can't wait to see them go head to head.

Almost wet myself when you said "assume 13kgs" 😂😂😂 couldn't agree more. Really needs a gym program and some protein shakes.

Taheny was one I was super excited to watch. The hype was legit and after a 5 goal SANFL performance had me thinking he'd rip the champs apart....could you imagine him at a bottom 5 club where you don't get hit lace out every f50 entry??? His body langue really put me off and as a recruiter it would raise alarm bells

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robertson or Serong for mine in regards to the medal, can't wait to see them go head to head.

Almost wet myself when you said "assume 13kgs" 😂😂😂 couldn't agree more. Really needs a gym program and some protein shakes.

Taheny was one I was super excited to watch. The hype was legit and after a 5 goal SANFL performance had me thinking he'd rip the champs apart....could you imagine him at a bottom 5 club where you don't get hit lace out every f50 entry??? His body langue really put me off and as a recruiter it would raise alarm bells

I’ve watched all his sanfl games. As I said I think he’s got 2 great tricks (overhead mark and kick for goal).

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’ve watched all his sanfl games. As I said I think he’s got 2 great tricks (overhead mark and kick for goal).

People said the same of Rozee this time last year too

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
People said the same of Rozee this time last year too

Maybe. But Rozee did have that year of playing midfield before that apparently and showed something when he went back for north. I know taheny is good at what he does but he’s very hard to judge right now especially watching him on a screen. He’s one I would love to watch live and often to get a read on him.

What’s your view on taheny?

My first thought is which dickhead decided the umpires wearing yellow with black shorts would be a good idea?

I really like Taheny and his SANFL record speaks for itself at this point. I raise Rozee only because he had a relatively poor championships compared to what he did as a bottom ager and also on the expectation coming in, but class shines through and Taheny has a lot of class.

He's not as explosive as Rozee and definitely doesn't have the capability to move further up the field like Rozee has, at this point in time. He's not too dissimilar to Will Hayward (so is Josh Morris). Good mark, good pace on the lead but still has some limitations. He's a great kick for goal. As we've seen with Farrell, impact can outshine quantity with certain player types.

Needs to find more of the ball and be a better team mate. But I like him. Do I want Port to pick him? Potentially. He's not in the top couple of my want list but he's in the picture. A forward line with Farrell, Rozee and Taheny would have a lot of potential goal scoring prowess.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My first thought is which dickhead decided the umpires wearing yellow with black shorts would be a good idea?

I really like Taheny and his SANFL record speaks for itself at this point. I raise Rozee only because he had a relatively poor championships compared to what he did as a bottom ager and also on the expectation coming in, but class shines through and Taheny has a lot of class.

He's not as explosive as Rozee and definitely doesn't have the capability to move further up the field like Rozee has, at this point in time. He's not too dissimilar to Will Hayward (so is Josh Morris). Good mark, good pace on the lead but still has some limitations. He's a great kick for goal. As we've seen with Farrell, impact can outshine quantity with certain player types.

Needs to find more of the ball and be a better team mate. But I like him. Do I want Port to pick him? Potentially. He's not in the top couple of my want list but he's in the picture. A forward line with Farrell, Rozee and Taheny would have a lot of potential goal scoring prowess.

We absolutely need avenues to goal who can kick at goal reliably.

Had a chance to watch the game?

The more I think about it the more underrated Stephens game was. Some of his Contested pickups while fighting for the ball were pretty ace for a very skinny kid. Speaks to what I think he could do when he packs on size. Also sa is super lacking an inside mid this year they would kill to have one of last years big bodies inside and I reckon that would have helped Stephens today.

I have Stephens >>>>>>> well above taheny right now.

We absolutely need avenues to goal who can kick at goal reliably.

Had a chance to watch the game?

The more I think about it the more underrated Stephens game was. Some of his Contested pickups while fighting for the ball were pretty ace for a very skinny kid. Speaks to what I think he could do when he packs on size. Also sa is super lacking an inside mid this year they would kill to have one of last years big bodies inside and I reckon that would have helped Stephens today.

I have Stephens >>>>>>> well above taheny right now.

Just starting the last quarter now

Very low scoring game, but thats what happens when both teams have 6 witches hats up forward. I don't think i've seen a game of football where two forward lines have had so little influence on a game. Both were terrible. Taheny kicked a couple but didnt do much else, Pickett kicked goal of the day but was otherwise anonymous, i'm not even sure Sladojevic actually had a possession, Morris did nothing, Freitag only did ok in the ruck. WA was the same story, Taylor had one great snap but didn't get enough of it, the three smalls in Henry, Thorne and Bennell were kept very quiet and Martin did nothing as well.

Great performance by both backlines though. Good on SA winning that. A lot of role players who did their job well on the day.

PLAYER REVIEWS

WA:
Pasini - I'm a big fan. Two great games now. Reads the play really well, great closing speed, a real competitor in one on ones, doesn't like to lose and has a good clearing kick on him. Has good AFL potential

Rivers - Wasn't 100% sold on him in the first game but had a better game today. There's a bit of Ben Jacobs about him, but he's a good user of the ball and gets in good position to receive. Decent in contests.

Robertson - He's just a solid as a rock player. Didnt put a foot wrong again, got plenty in the middle, did alright when down back, ran on the wing for a while. Very good.

Sharp - Loved his game again. Pace, height, attacks the play, takes it on, good confidence, not afraid to go for his kicks. I love him.

Jackson - Not as good as game 1 but still had the better of Burrows and Freitag

Garcia - He's fast becoming one of my favourites of the WA crop. Just a good footballer who knows how to position himself, knows how to use the ball, has decent physical traits, he's just a bit small. Plenty to work with.

SA:
Magor - He's one of my favourites of the SA crop this year and today showed why. Played a role down back, won his position, wins the hard ball, uses it really well. I like him better in the midfield, but he was great as a stopping defender who can use it well out of the backline.

Hilder - One of the stars of the day. Good size at 196, I like that he goes for his marks, is strong in contests and has a good kick on him. Has shot up my rankings on that game.

Grivell - Another who did his role for the team. Is an interesting size, good agility, decent user of the ball. Probably needs a couple more tricks but keen to see a lot more of him.

Gould - Not his best day I thought. Was very sloppy early, made some poor choices with his disposal. Was very good in the second half though.

Finlay - A touch too short at 192 but is as wide as a house. Very strong, reads it well. Hilder looks better, but Finlay won't let you down.

Day - Gun. Didn't waste a disposal, was clever in contests, was dependable all day. One of SA's best for sure. Is a good size at 187, but yeah, has a body of an 11 year old at the moment.

Shute - 'Dwight' didn't have his best day, but I still like what he brings. Very athletic, good turn of pace, good size for a mid and is ready to play. Hoping he guns it next week.

Stephens - I agree with philthy in that I thought he was excellent. His contested work was impressive for someone who's largely an outside type. Great agility, can turn on a dime, good user of the ball, has jets. Well in the running for a top 5 pick and should be well in the running for our pick.

Park - Played well. Hadn't really seen much of him before, but had a good day on a wing.

Tucker - Busy, but overall didn't do much

Taheny - See above for my thoughts. Has to get involved more, but was deadly when he had it

Sladojevic - I can't remember him touching the ball

Morris - Disappointing. Bad leading, bad positioning, poor second efforts. Got some of the ball up on a wing and through the middle but as a forward he did nought.

Pickett - Kicked goal of the day, seemed busy around the packs and laid some tackles but just didn't get into the game at all.

Mead - Quiet one. Looked quicker out there than I thought he would be, but just couldn't find a way to impact the game.

Edwards - Was my pick for BOG. Looked like he could play AFL tomorrow. Perfect back flankers game. Directed the ball, found space, dropped in the hole numerous times, was courageous, showed class in his disposal and wasn't afraid o run up the ground quite a bit too. Gun.

Now that everyone has played, heres my early AA team:

B: Butler, Hilder, Ash
HB: Young, McAsey, Rivers
C: Sharp, Robertson, Stephens
HF: Worrell, Smith, Hollands
F: Weightman, Taylor, Henry

R: Jackson, Rowell, Serong

I: O'Neill, Day, Anderson, Edwards

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was a bit sceptical of mead before today, on that game we’re not using our second on mead. I’m not sure he would attract a 3rd round bid right now. He could turn it around and become a player maybe.

The good news is that there is quite a few mid draft guys I like that we can use picks on.

Back