List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

OK lets trade out and target some more 2016/17/18 draftees to add to the squad

Edit: Also there’s never been a phrase that rings more PORTIA! BAD DRAFT! alarm bells than:
Worst draft for talls possibly ever

Last edited:
Watching the champs I was thinking maybe next year won’t be good as where are the 2020 guys. Every year some underagers stand up (a few have these champs) but expected more
But then I remember that Schofield and thilthorpe are injured as is lazzaro. I think 2020 should be okay.

Coincidentally, if you go by the theory that a kid will display talent at around 8-9 years of age, that means that the years that Gold Coast and GWS came into the competition are exactly the reason why these drafts are bad. Imagine if you're 8 years old and you're thinking of playing football as a career, and then you see GWS and Gold Coast getting smashed every week?

I'd change career path too.
LOL. Like 8 or 9 year olds are hooked into the inner workings of the draft. They'd all be 'I'm going to play for <insert my favourite team>!'. By the time they reach 13-15 and start getting an inkling they could end up anywhere they are likely still committed to footy and even if not, they'd see it's not that hard to get out of a team you don't like after 2 years. By that time they'd be more 'look at all that money! And girls?!?! I want!' and lots not give a stuff really where drafted.

Edit: Also there’s never been a phrase that rings more PORTIA! BAD DRAFT! alarm bells than:
So we're likely to ditch Frampton and risk Marshall wanting out because Ken doesn't develop talls, at just the worst time :drunk:

To give people an idea of how stupid it is to not try to develop the key forwards you have there isn’t a kf in this draft I rate better than Frampton.

All things being equal I would take Frampton over Jeka. Maybe that’s a close call and maybe Jeka has better forward craft than Frampton who relies on size. Maybe Hinkley gives more opportunity to another kid which is why rotating through prospects can sometimes be a positive but I reckon Jeka is the type Hinkley would be very adverse to playing.

The next best kf in the draft after Jeka wouldn’t be fit enough to tie Daniel Stewart’s shoelaces much less compare to Frampton.

It’s why you’ve got to really make the most of the prospects you have when they show some signs they could be a player.

LOL. Like 8 or 9 year olds are hooked into the inner workings of the draft. They'd all be 'I'm going to play for <insert my favourite team>!'. By the time they reach 13-15 and start getting an inkling they could end up anywhere they are likely still committed to footy and even if not, they'd see it's not that hard to get out of a team you don't like after 2 years. By that time they'd be more 'look at all that money! And girls?!?! I want!' and lots not give a stuff really where drafted.

Inner workings? They would've seen their team beating up GWS and Gold Coast by their favourite team and realised that if they are any good there's a good chance they'll end up there, based on the fact that all the good players that year ended up there.

I'm not saying it would have been rational - if it was a rational action and they actually knew how the draft works, they would have said that in 10 years GWS and Gold Coast would probably be good teams, so there was no chance of going there (Gold Coast being s**t now doesn't change the fact that most said they were going to be really good when they started). When I was 8 or 9 I was talking to a friend of mine about creating a video game like Wolfenstein 3D called Total Carnage - we had the story mapped out and everything. By 11 or 12 everyone was talking about girls and where they were going to go to high school etc. They might have had favourite teams, but if you think they don't understand what's going on, think again.

Don't patronise kids. They are smarter than you think.

I can definitely see us trading our second round pick back to 2020. Trying to turn it into something around 20 next year. Wouldn’t even be shocked if we make finals to see us trade our first round pick in a reverse 2016/17 manoeuvre.

Setting ourselves up for potentially a stronger draft, Schofield as a F/S and a crack at Lukosius/Rankine.

Don't you have a rule that we don't draft under 184cm. I couldn't remember but i do remember how many times you stir your cup of tea. :p

THIS year's leading draft prospects will take the field on Friday at GMHBA Stadium as the NAB AFL Under-18 championships go up a gear.

Vic Metro will play the Allies, starting at 10.30am local time, before the unbeaten Vic Country line-up will face South Australia, with that game beginning at 1pm.

South Australia will welcome back important forward Cameron Taheny from injury for the contest, while midfielder Dylan Stephens and defender Will Gould will be keen to bounce back after last week's defeat to Vic Metro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it weather related down at Kardinia Park - ie trying to move the ball thru the gale that usually blows down there this time of year, or just dumb footy?
Dumb footy basically

VIC METRO 2.0 5.1 6.4 10.8 (68)
ALLIES 4.0 5.2 10.3 11.4 (70)

GOALS
Vic Metro:
Mahony 3, Bergman, Jeka, Jones, Rossiter, Rowell, Sturgess, Williams
Allies: Gore 3, Ellem 2, Gulden 2, Rosas 2, Green, Oea

BEST
Vic Metro:
Maginness, Rowell, McAsey, Anderson, Mahony
Allies: Green, Jungfer, Gulden, Gore, Kelly, Rosas

Mead looks like he borrowed Dad’s arms but they’re a couple inches too long and he’s not used to it yet. Bit fumbly collecting. I like what he does when he gets the ball though, good at hitting up targets in an SA side that today struggled with that.

Gould is the most Crows player that ever Crowed, right down to the Nigel Smart curly hair. I already hate him for the smug look after he got a free for barrelling into an opponent and dropping dead. Good potential though.

Harry Schoenberg, do not like. Cory Durdin, born Hinkleyballer.

Flanders I was a little disappointed in consistency of his finishing. I need to see more Rantall and De Koning.

Last edited:
VIC COUNTRY 2.2 5.3 6.6 9.9 (63)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 1.3 3.6 6.7 9.8 (62)

GOALS
Vic Country:
Weightman 4, Cahill, Flanders, Hollands, Kemp, J. Smith
South Australia: Durdin 2, Mead 2, Gould, Morris, O’Brien, Sladojevic, Stephens

BEST
Vic Country:
Serong, Flanders, Weightman, Kemp, Young
South Australia: Schoenberg, Gould, Hilder, Mead, Day

Avid draft watches, Malcom Rosas, thoughts? I would love to see him as a rookie selection if he was to fall!

Very exciting. His best is incredible, his worst is deplorable. Should go main draft

I must say the skills as a whole have been poor across this tournament.

Rowell and Anderson are the stand outs but I’m not as sold on them being ‘stars’ more reliable 1st 22 players. Maybe I’m being harsh as they probably sit well with the top 6-10 of last year.

It’s an interesting crop. I think some teams will do really well with astute picks who develop over a long time. Thinking Jeka and Day types. So lots of players with one or two AFL attributes but will require time, luck and good coaching to achieve AFL standard. Fewer of those sure bets, where the first 15-25 were going to play AFL and more speculative picks. I don’t think there will be as many 2019 draftees debuting in 2020, as there were from the 2018 crop. But there are a handful who have amazing potential - Young, Sharp, Taheny - and some real workman like players Mead, Green and even Stephenson who just get it done.

These are the drafts where the recruiters will earn their pay.

Having watched every game of the champs so far I thought I’d have a crack at a top 20. It’s not easy, I now have even greater appreciation for Macca ranking the whole draft class.

1. Rowell
2. Flanders
3. Young
4. Anderson
5. Gould
—————————
I think the top 5 is clear cut and fairly even. Rowell looks a born killer Michael Voss style. I love him. Flanders reminds me so much of Robbie Gray that I’m not entirely sure why I don’t have him rated number 1.

6. Kemp
7. Stephens
8. Green
9. Serong
————————-
Probably the next rung of talent. I have these guys as certainties to play a lot of AFL. Stephens reminds me a bit of a two way running Polec. He’s very outside, can fumble a bit with ground balls or in a contest but will fight tooth and nail. His potential is high.

10. Worrell
11. Sharp
12. Jackson
13. Henry
14. Schoenberg
15. Taylor
16. Robertson
17. O’Neill
18. Ash
19. Mead
20. Weightman
————————-
Much harder to place this group, especially from 14 onward. My next few could easily have slipped in somewhere:
  • McAsey
  • Budarick
  • Day
  • Maginess
  • Ralphsmith
McAsey is a bit of a cop out on my part. He couldn’t have done any more as a key defender but the only draftable key forward plays on his team.

I think there’s probably another break in talent level around this point and we are on to speculative picks and development players.

I have an asterisk next to the below guys as I haven’t seen enough or what I have seen has been such a massive outlier from where they supposedly rate:
  • Dylan Williams
  • Taheny
  • Byrnes

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back