List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams is a funny one. Hasn’t done sfa all year, didn’t go into the midfield and didn’t show more than last year.

Having said that I like his size, his body looks great through the hips and core. He knows how to use his body and hips in a marking contest. As a forward I really really like him and think he could be a very good unit at afl level but I can’t bet on him being involved much when he hasn’t shown that he can do that. At the right spot in the draft I would be interested, hopefully he’s a garner style slider.

I think Hinkley has changed our priorities regarding drafting and trading. We need hard working, skilled clutch players rather than go with the flow, cherry on the top flaky players. On face value, players like Serong and Kemp seem like they would be good picks for port.

I have watched a reasonable amount of the Champs and my opinion is It Just Is is right!

I think Ash (maybe more risk than the other 9) would round out the top ten and it is an even top ten.

I like Kemp and Serong higher than Flanders.

I also think Day is very high on potential and someone is likely to rate Worrell.

If we could end up with two picks 5-10 (trade second and a player?) and were able to use points with late picks for Mead then it would be awesome.

Here's my list at the moment:

I think there is 3 standouts this year who are as close to a sure thing as you are likely to get. Young is just too good to not be part of this elite group. Anderson with his height and ability to play in multiple positions is the best prospect this year, despite the fact Rowell never plays a bad game.

1. Anderson
2. Rowell
3. Young
--------------------------------
I think these 4 are potentially excellent, match winning AFL players with some elite qualities, but with maybe one thing with a question mark over them. Worrell, can he settle in one position? Stephens, will he be able to work on his inside game at AFL level? Serong height, Flanders scope for improvement.

4. Flanders
5. Worrell
6. Stephens
7. Serong
I think this group you can throw a bit of a blanket over. All with plenty of potential but each with one or two things with a question mark for me. Each could be very good.

8. Gould
9 Ash
10. Green
11. O'Neill
12. Sharp
13. Jackson
14. Robertson
15. Kemp
16. Taheny
17. Cassar
18. McAsey
19. Williams
The talent is there with these guys to be good foot soldiers at AFL level.

20. Bryan
21. Mead
22. Henry
23. Jeka
24. Maginness
25. Taylor
26. Sparkes
27. Dow
28. Pickett
29. Cahill
30. Day
31. Martyn
32. Weightman
33. Budarick

I've got about 75 others that i've got notes and an opinion on but I think these above players are the ones that have the most potential to have an AFL career.

Not that anyone necessarily cares but for interests sake to see where we all diverge here’s my rough list

after the first couple of groups they aren’t in any particular order, especially the last group which is essentially just a list of names I want to watch more.

Anderson
Rowell

Young
Stephens
Flanders
Green
Kemp
Serong
Ash
Maginess

McAsey
Gould
Robertson
O’Neill
Taheny
Sharp
Worrell
Day
Finlay

Schoenberg
Potter
Henry
Rivers
Hilder
B.Smith
Rantall
Williams
Taylor
L. Jackson
Weightman

Ruscoe
Rosas
Cassar
Shute
Mead
Bergman
Dow
Cahill
C. Stephens
Rowles
Dekoning
Jeka
Newman
Bianco
Mahony
Sturgess
Mott
Butler
Grivell
Park
Warner
McNeil
Morris
Searle
Magor
Jones
Bryan
Comben
Johnson

Not that anyone necessarily cares but for interests sake to see where we all diverge here’s my rough list

after the first couple of groups they aren’t in any particular order, especially the last group which is essentially just a list of names I want to watch more.

Anderson
Rowell

Young
Stephens
Flanders
Green
Kemp
Serong
Ash
Maginess

McAsey
Gould
Robertson
O’Neill
Taheny
Sharp
Worrell
Day
Finlay

Schoenberg
Potter
Henry
Rivers
Hilder
B.Smith
Rantall
Williams
Taylor
L. Jackson
Weightman

Ruscoe
Rosas
Cassar
Shute
Mead
Bergman
Dow
Cahill
C. Stephens
Rowles
Dekoning
Jeka
Newman
Bianco
Mahony
Sturgess
Mott
Butler
Grivell
Park
Warner
McNeil
Morris
Searle
Magor
Jones
Bryan
Comben
Johnson

Potter is the other one I just don't know how to rate at this point. His best is awesome, his worst is laughable.

I think there is 3 standouts this year who are as close to a sure thing as you are likely to get. Young is just too good to not be part of this elite group. Anderson with his height and ability to play in multiple positions is the best prospect this year, despite the fact Rowell never plays a bad game.

1. Anderson
2. Rowell
3. Young
I think these 4 are potentially excellent, match winning AFL players with some elite qualities, but with maybe one thing with a question mark over them. Worrell, can he settle in one position? Stephens, will he be able to work on his inside game at AFL level? Serong height, Flanders scope for improvement.

4. Flanders
5. Worrell
6. Stephens
7. Serong
I think this group you can throw a bit of a blanket over. All with plenty of potential but each with one or two things with a question mark for me. Each could be very good.

8. Gould
9 Ash
10. Green
11. O'Neill
12. Sharp
13. Jackson
14. Robertson
15. Kemp
16. Taheny
17. Cassar
18. McAsey
19. Williams

20. Bryan
21. Mead
22. Henry
23. Jeka
24. Maginness
25. Taylor
26. Sparkes
27. Dow
28. Pickett
29. Cahill
30. Day
31. Martyn
32. Weightman
33. Budarick

I've got about 75 others that i've got notes and an opinion on but I think these above players are the ones that have the most potential to have an AFL career.

I worry about Luke Jackson’s tap rucking ability when he gets to the afl and faces multiple excellent 202+cm rucks across the league. Not enough to write him off but I’m not spending a top 30 pick on him.

Worrells got some stuff but I wouldn’t want my team to be the one to drop a top 10-15 pick on him.

Sharps got some afl traits and enough holes that make me believe he will be a guy you love one minute then hate the next.

Serong is one of my absolute favs to watch. He has that giannis or Westbrook stankface going on half the time and you know all that’s going through his head is GET BALL. I still struggle to put him too high because he’s 178cms and looks a very compact 178cms. s**t he’s good though. I would have him at 1 if he was 182+.

1. Anderson
2. Rowell
3. Young

4. Flanders
5. Worrell
6. Stephens
7. Serong

8. Gould
9 Ash
10. Green
11. O'Neill
12. Sharp
13. Jackson
14. Robertson
15. Kemp
16. Taheny
17. Cassar
18. McAsey
19. Williams

20. Bryan
21. Mead
22. Henry
23. Jeka
24. Maginness
25. Taylor
26. Sparkes
27. Dow
28. Pickett
29. Cahill
30. Day
31. Martyn
32. Weightman
33. Budarick

What’s the knock on Schoenberg? I thought he looked a very good prospect. Particularly rate his positioning and movement around stoppages, plus he’s a high possession player that uses it well.

It’s crunch time in the Under 18 Championships as the very best draft prospects converge for the final round of the highly touted carnival.

And there’s no better time for a player to push their draft credentials then at Marvel Stadium on Wednesday.

The final round of the carnival will include a winner takes all battle between Vic Country and Western Australia, with plenty of future AFL stars in action.

Potential top two picks Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson won’t be in action, given Vic Metro concluded their carnival on Friday. But there is still a host of big names playing, including ‘Patrick Cripps clone’ Tom Green and one of the best kicks in the draft pool, Hayden Young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

afl draft central released their power rankings today. They are reasonably similar to most rankings.

The most noteworthy ratings are; O'Neill at 8. Mead at 12. Bianco at 13.

I might have to go and watch some of the metro v allies game although apparently it wasn't a good game for O'Neill.

Also my gut says pick 1 for gcs is a bad thing. If they draft Anderson he probably won’t even unpack his bags. They should trade down and grab Hayden young and some of his Vic country teammates.

Anderson and Rowell are best friends and possible 1 and 2. If gold coast finish bottom and carlton second bottom then adelaide's pick 2 could be attractive as a large chunk of lukoscius.

Last edited:
Mead at 12 is an eye opener but its not that bad a call imo. Statistically he has been very consistent at all levels and has picked up good numbers all year. Whilst he's fairly unfashionable, there is enough to suggest that he can convert his reserves and 18's output to senior and then AFL football.

Bianco, bit of a poor mans Lindsay Gilbee to me. He's got a good kick and output, but I think there are too many question marks over decision making, lack of defensive ability and he's pretty small.

What’s the knock on Schoenberg? I thought he looked a very good prospect. Particularly rate his positioning and movement around stoppages, plus he’s a high possession player that uses it well.

He's one I can see moving higher in my list the more I see of him. I need to watch the SA champs games again as i'm having trouble placing Shute, Schoenberg and Searle. Schoenberg comes across as maybe a bit vanilla at this point to me, i've got him at 51 at the moment.

If he is on a Big Footy Podcast then Macca and co. will ask. If its not on Big Footy what is the link?
You’re a legend REH!

Cal Twomey from AFL.com.au does a weekly 30 minute podcast running from just prior to the national championships through to the draft. He recaps games, interviews players, recruiters and list managers. If you are interested in draft/list management it’s good listening.

Link is below and the Twitter details are at the bottom of the page.

Mead’s not out of place in the back half of the first round. His last game vs Vic Country was super. Bit of a footballers’ footballer in that he does every single aspect of the game well as far as I can tell. Seems to have a happy knack of picking off handballs that look about to release an opposition player into space which makes me think a very high football IQ.

He should get plenty of exposure to finish the year with the Magpies and hopefully a final or 2.

He's one I can see moving higher in my list the more I see of him. I need to watch the SA champs games again as i'm having trouble placing Shute, Schoenberg and Searle. Schoenberg comes across as maybe a bit vanilla at this point to me, i've got him at 51 at the moment.
Interesting, I really like him. Very balanced and always on the move around stoppages. Seems above average pace/explosiveness and endurance. His kicking is good too. My only real knock was that he has a smallish frame but I think with his running and ball use he could play more outside at the next level then he has for SA.

Good luck with Shute and Searle! They are exactly the type I was thinking of when I said i don’t know how you rank a whole draft class. Shute I don’t mind but have no idea what position he’d play at AFL level. Searle I just have no idea, his kicking is alright I think.

I don't quite follow the draft prospects with as much enthusiasm or time as a few years ago, but I have to agree that on the eye test to me from what I have seen over the past year Mead looks about right in that late first round early second bracket. I think philthy tends gets caught up a bit in making big, loud definitive calls on juniors. Opinions are good, but from experience I've generally found it's never cut and dried - particularly with father-son or "high profile" prospects where it's simply easier and natural to look for flaws (& try stand out as a draft watcher) - Brad Hill (especially), Darcy Moore & Josh Dunkley all ones I've got badly wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back