List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

I just think he's more of a Jonas replacement (but far better) than an actual intercept defender based on how he plays. To be a good intercept defender you need to have the ability to read the play from a long way out.

And I like the fact that Worrell has played everywhere on the ground because it means he'll be comfortable pushing forward which is what we like.

Here's a question for you: if I said that trading out Howard, 27 and 9 would get you Worrell and Lukosius, would you do it?

Yeah probably

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I think we need to address the glaring deficiency in our team, and that is decent size mids with a bit of zip, evasiveness, can stay in the game all game, and nice foot skills. Apart from Rozee perhaps in a year or two, I don’t think we have any players like this. No way are we going anywhere with Wines, Rocky and SPP in the midfield together. Very Melbournesque. Is there anyone likely to be at our first pick like this? Sam Flanders?
Schoenberg is your man. On the smaller end of decent size but buzzes around stoppages and is a fantastic clearance player with neat skills. Plays a bit like Boak. 9 might be a high for him though.

I just watched the second quarter of vic country and wa. Very confused.

Ash was beyond woeful. Every kick was horrendous.

Young was as bad as Ash but had less run.

Kemp didn’t do much but what he did was quality and tough.

Serong barely touched the ball.

Baldi but kicking poor.

Flanders didn’t do much and kicking poor.

Weightman couldn’t get near the ball.

Cahill got a soft free kick goal and looked meh.

Comben was good.

For Wa.

Sharp was actually very good. His kicking is a weapon. He ran hard.

Robertson was brilliant. He hit contests at speed, won the ball, distributed well.

Jackson didn’t do much in the ruck.

Henry was brilliant and skilful. (Freo)

So. Really dunno. I think that some of the top eight picks could be duds.

Keen on Robertson and Kemp. Worrell looks like he has the potential to be very good. Stephens and Gould look low risk players. Sharp has weapons. Schoenberg is a very good mid.
Comben looks like such a Port Adelaide pick. Not sure he’ll end up big enough to be a first ruck but he offers so much around the ground like Howard/Frampton/Ladhams. Really like him for a late pick.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
It seems a top 10 is emerging:

Rowell
Anderson
-----------
Green (GWS)
Kemp
D.Stephens
Gould
Ash
Young
Serong
Flanders
-----------
That would be good for us except that Green is NGA and with GCS likely to get a priority pick, our first pick is likely to be #11.

It would be nice to trade up a spot or two.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Kemp is one of 4 I hope we get with our first pick (9) even with his injury …. the other 3 are Stephens, MsAsey & Worrell

Brodie Kemp is
193cm/82kg
Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Utility
The knee reconstruction will see him unavailable until late next year, meaning he will start his AFL career on the sidelines. It was especially disappointing given Kemp had just hit the best form of his season after a brilliant finish to the championships for Vic Country. Kemp had started to show his skills as a strong and tall midfielder with good reach above his head.

Dylan Stephens
183cm/70kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

He has done some nice things at senior level for Norwood, including a classy goal two weeks ago against North Adelaide that saw him zip away from the centre square, accelerate when under pressure and nail the running shot. Continues to show Andrew Gaff-like tendencies as a run and carry left-footer.

Fischer McAsey
195cm/86kg
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Key defender/forward

McAsey had spent most of his life playing as a tall forward. He switched into the backline for his draft year and has blossomed there, winning MVP honours for Vic Metro after a standout championships. But he's not lost his forward craft, and is comfortable playing around goal, where he is good at crashing packs, having strong hands under pressure and creating chances. A versatile option who shapes as the leading tall available.

Josh Worrell
195cm/74kg
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Key defender/forward
Worrell had already shown enough as a marking backman who can cut off opposition forward forays, plus his own form when he's closer to goal

hopefully we can get 1 or 2 of these players

we should be looking Stephens (even if we can keep Amon). Having the mix of Rozee and Stephens adding potential pace in the midfield has me excited.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
we should be looking Stephens (even if we can keep Amon). Having the mix of Rozee and Stephens adding potential pace in the midfield has me excited.
Annoyingly, so many of the clubs picking before us are also desperate for players like Stephens. I think the probability of him getting to pick 9/10 and past Melbourne, Sydney, St Kilda and Fremantle is very low.

Wishinman

All Australian
May 6, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Is Michael Frederick and relation to Martin ? 3 goals so far in the U18s final.
Was at the game. Kicked all his goals playing on the wing. 21 disposals at close to 100% efficiency I reckon. Ran hard all day and should have been used a quite a few more times. Impressive game.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Annoyingly, so many of the clubs picking before us are also desperate for players like Stephens. I think the probability of him getting to pick 9/10 and past Melbourne, Sydney, St Kilda and Fremantle is very low.

Melbourne and St Kilda are both into Langdon and Hill from Freo so if they both get who they want then Stephens would still be there. Melbourne have said they are willing to trade Pick 2/3 for a number of later picks as well. Sydney are also contemplating bidding on Tom Green from GWS's Academy (as do the Crows) so GWS supposedly want to move up the draft order for that as well.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was at the game. Kicked all his goals playing on the wing. 21 disposals at close to 100% efficiency I reckon. Ran hard all day and should have been used a quite a few more times. Impressive game.
Wonder if we could get him the same way we got Martin?

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I'm all for using this year's first and next year's first to get Lukosius- add in SPP (or whatever we can get for him or Wines) if it will get the deal done.

But if we do go to the draft with our high picks, we need to bolster the forward line with class- Flanders and Serong stand out for me. We usually take best available with our first pick but we need to get more goal scoring power.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we lose Frampton, i agree, if not Dylan Stephens has pace and can play a wing just fine, some outside run.

Rowell's going at pick 1. Just saying. We talking about Worrell? It's interesting, everyone seems to have McAsey and Jackson rated higher of the talls. I think I want Gould at 9. He's not majorly injured or with big question marks about his game.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rowell's going at pick 1. Just saying. We talking about Worrell? It's interesting, everyone seems to have McAsey and Jackson rated higher of the talls. I think I want Gould at 9. He's not majorly injured or with big question marks about his game.
Yeah I know you were talking about Josh Worrell, he can play forward or back, that's why I said if we lose Framptom I would lean that way. Although unless he's dam good 195cm could be a little short for a key forward.

I don't know much about Gould, I will do a bit investigating.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Norwood coach Jarrod Cotton told AFL.com.au he had no doubt left-footer Stephens would be highly sought after in November.

"He'll probably go in the top 10 of the draft," Cotton said.

"He reminds me a little bit of an Andrew Gaff-type player.

"He runs both ways very well, very good ball use, can play inside, can play outside.

"His running capacity is elite, his tackling pressure's really improved and his ball use has been excellent, and he's hitting the scoreboard as well.

"He's had a fantastic year."

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gould looks okay but I wouldn't mind a pacey mid or outside type, if Amon goes that leaves Duursma to carry the outside work. If Billy goes then we do have to look at a back up forward. We have Hayes but I feel he's more a ruckman.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To me, Amon looks faster and a better kick than Stephens. To be fair gaff isn't express fast with a great kick, more work hardery.

Gould's pretty fast and a very good kick.

I want to keep amon!

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To me, Amon looks faster and a better kick than Stephens. To be fair gaff isn't express fast with a great kick, more work hardery.

Gould's pretty fast and a very good kick.

I want to keep amon!
Remember how long Amon's been in our system though, I'm sure Stephens will improve in time, like wise for any draftee.

I am all in for players that have good skills as that's something we lack, so if Goulds what we need, I would hope the dummies running our club would identify that.

Yeah sorry, Worrell.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gould looks like a sure bet and has Shannon Hurn qualities. You wouldn’t regret picking him up, although with Burton and Garner (who may not end up as good as Gould) we are well stocked with solid HBF types. Gould looks to be a better interceptor though.

I’d still like us to recruit a well-rounded, polished and prolific midfielder with our first pick.

Back