SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Its more that we dont need a first-round small forward imo
Agreed. I know we want to move Rozee into the midfield, but he could literally be the best small forward in the comp as early as next year.

Oh and how could I forgot about Robbie Gray! That’s 7 genuine small forwards on our list already.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like Tyrone Thorne as a very late pick. I know he is tiny but he is fast, evasive, skilful and most importantly he throws his body around with no fear.

Fischer McAsey reminds me of a tall Jonas. I suppose a tall Jonas is a useful player.
A tall Jonas is an AA full back.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its more that we dont need a first-round small forward imo
I still want Pickett.

I'm not sure why as i am usually critical of teams over spending on small forwards when they don't have the pillars in place.

I think mentally I have given up on ultimate success on the short to medium term so i just want to have someone who is fun to watch.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If 12 and 18 can be turned into an earlier top 8 draft pick go for it. Would explain why conceded 10 to get 18.
not interested in drafting any of the talls as early picks.
take mead best way possible.

If 12 and 18 can be turned into an earlier top 8 draft pick go for it. Would explain why conceded 10 to get 18.
If we go for pick 8 with 12 and 18 we've pretty much traded pick 10, Howard, Ryder and a 3rd round pick to go up 2 spots.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
where ever Pickett goes it doesnt really matter, if another club wants to do all the prep work on him then thats good because he will be at Port sooner or later and we will trade him in for a third rounder.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Stephens or Kemp don't slide to pick 12, McAsey would seem like a sensible choice.

We can't keep kicking the can down the road when it comes to drafting quality talls with early picks.
At some stage we need to bring in the best possible tall talent we can with our first round selections, and this would seem a sensible draft to do so, given that McAsey and possibly Worrell seem to fall close to our selections in terms of many draft board rankings.

We have 4 major intermediate to long-term needs as I see it:
1. Potential A-grade key forward
2. Potential A-grade key defender
3. Productive and classy inside-outside midfielder
4. Explosive, game-breaking small forward

We clearly won't get all 4 in this draft, but working to do so over the next 2 years via drafts and trades, should be the goal.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We do not need a small forward. We have Farrell, Butters, Rozee, Cox, Woodcock and Motlop.

There are considerable doubts over three of those players establishing themselves at AFL level, while Rozee and Butters should evolve into high production midfielders over the next 3 years. Motlop could be anything (good or bad) for the remainder of his AFL career, and Gray won't have many years left at the top of his game.

While I wouldn't use pick 12 or 18 on a small forward, bringing in someone with a later pick who has X-factor and Charlie Cameron-like qualities isn't at all unreasonable.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are considerable doubts over three of those players establishing themselves at AFL level, while Rozee and Butters should evolve into high production midfielders over the next 3 years. Motlop could be anything (good or bad) for the remainder of his AFL career, and Gray won't have many years left at the top of his game.

While I wouldn't use pick 12 or 18 on a small forward, bringing in someone with a later pick who has X-factor and Charlie Cameron-like qualities isn't at all unreasonable.
Yeh I agree. I feel like using a top 15 pick on a small forward is a flawed approach, unless they are superstar-tier at u18 level. Much prefer using those picks on proven A grade midfielders, prototype midfielders (Fyfe/Bont) or KPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?

It can be done. If GWS have to match a bid on Green before their first pick, they will look to swap #6.

It can be done. If GWS have to match a bid on Green before their first pick, they will look to swap #6.
Dougal Howard didn't die for us to go up 4 spots.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Stephens or Kemp don't slide to pick 12, McAsey would seem like a sensible choice.

We can't keep kicking the can down the road when it comes to drafting quality talls with early picks.
At some stage we need to bring in the best possible tall talent we can with our first round selections, and this would seem a sensible draft to do so, given that McAsey and possibly Worrell seem to fall close to our selections in terms of many draft board rankings.

We have 4 major intermediate to long-term needs as I see it:
1. Potential A-grade key forward
2. Potential A-grade key defender
3. Productive and classy inside-outside midfielder
4. Explosive, game-breaking small forward

We clearly won't get all 4 in this draft, but working to do so over the next 2 years via drafts and trades, should be the goal.

This, except I would switch 1 and 2.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I still can't understand why we had to move back 2 spots surely this wasn't a deal breaker for the saints? Howard and Ryder for 18 was bad enough but to move our first back is next level stupid.
We went back 2 spots to get a future 3rd included for the FS and NGA players we have coming next year.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As spoken about ad nausem this draft is an odd one and hard to read. I think there are some low risk types who probably will play 100-200 games but not ever be AA material, then quite a few high risk, high reward types who might be in and out in two years or actually be something pretty good.

It’s also a year to stock up on flankers and outside mids, which is one of our needs. The talls just aren’t there and I’m not sure that outside of the top 3, any of the others are worth more than a rookie. Was keen on Jeka but he just hasn’t done anything and I’m just not sold on Hilder, Jones or the others. But it may turn out that we end up picking the best player who is just to good to pass up rather than any particular type. We are well placed for this draft, sure we gave up a bit but 2018 and 2019 could set us up for the next 5-10 years.

Best case scenario:

Pick 12: Stephens, Kemp, McAsey
If Stephens is there we have to take him. Fits us perfectly. One of those low risk but perhaps boring types who you could lock in for 200 standard games. Kemp is one I’ve been swayed by others, I don’t rate him as others do and see it more as a tall could be anything type. He doesn’t fill a need but would be too good not to take. McAsey is the best KPP in the draft, although I wouldn’t mind seeing what Jackson could do as a forward, and fills a need. He isn’t a reach at this pick and would complement what we have very well.

Pick 18: Worrell, Gould, Williams, Sharp,

Tougher pick as hard to know how the cookie crumbles at this stage of the draft. If Worrell is there, we should jump at that, athletic tall defender who could swing forward. I think he will become something solid, maybe not the next Rance or McGovern but a good, reliable player.
Gould is a hard one to read. I’m not sure we need another slow half back but he does have a booming kick and reads the play well. But he needs to slim done and I’m not sure he can play elsewhere or become a tall back. I’m less convinced he is Shannon Hurn and more that he is Mitch Harvey. Williams would be great here. A potential top ten who struggled with injuries but could really be anything. Sharp is one that surprises me he isn’t rated higher. Great left boot, good speed and runs all day. He needs to get more of it and maybe he is a reach here but would be happy getting him to Port.

Pick 29: Sharp, Williams, Taylor, Ralph-Smith, Cassar, Rivers, Bianco
I think any of Williams, Sharp, Rivers or Bianco here would be great value. Taylor on potential should be higher but on output this is about right for the small forward. Cassar would be a reliable Riley Knight type, not sure he will be anything amazing but could get a good standard 100 games out of him. Ralph-Smith is a reach here based on output but I think he has something. Settle him forward then develop him into a fairly balanced mid, with his athleticism he could be very good.

Then match a bid for Mead, nab Burgoyne as a cat 2 rookie and take Riccardi as a rookie.

Back