List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Didn't bother watching. Son came in and told me the news..........
After picking myself off the floor and putting my eyeballs back in their sockets, I said "you're ******* joking @#$&*".

Did Hinckley do all the drafting???

Bergman may have been an end of Rd 1 or early Rd 2 pick, the golden greek a late second rounder. And we lost another 1st rounder, although only a couple of picks lower, and we got back into 2020 2nd round, so that aspect is probably just ok.

Watchers of young talent, how come we never NGAed Manguru Fredrick's twin brother Minario???

Freo liked him and took him pick 61.

Coach even flew in from Melbourne on the way home today, to say g'day

Interesting read

FFS - take a cold war mentality towards our drafting strategies, shut up, say nothing, don't let anything out, not worry about the PR s**t and trying to engage with the fans. Get the premiership won then reveal some strategies.

Last edited:
Any chance you could summarise? It's locked behind a paywall.
Port Adelaide this week presented its 2019 national draft strategy exclusively to The Advertiser to provide an insight into how it wanted the nights to unfold – and believed they would pan out. A document The Advertiser was privy to revealed the four names of the players the Power planned to select with its picks in order.

Port, led by its national recruiting manager Geoff Parker, list boss Jason Cripps and head of football Chris Davies, succeeded in getting exactly what it wanted: Miles Bergman first, followed by Mitch Georgiades, Dylan Williams and father-son nominee Jackson Mead. It can sound like a cliche when clubs say they are thrilled with their hauls and land who they are after, but it is true for the Power this year.

Davies told The Advertiser teams did not always get their targets – often they snare one of a group of players they were keen on in a particular spot – so it was pleasing when all the planning paid off.

“(Draft war-rooms) are a calm place and you’re just listening to the picks and working out where different players are going to fall,” Davies said. “When you’re picking the guys you want along the way, it’s a relief that they’ve got to your pick. “Then after that there’s a little bit of pride, I’m sure, for Jason and Geoff, who do the mountain of work. “There’s no doubt they’re big moments for people involved.”

Last edited:
Any chance you could summarise? It's locked behind a paywall.

Port draft players, claim it's exactly who they wanted all along.

I mean of course we did considering most were considered to be reaches.. not like we would've chosen these guys if Rowell, Anderson and Green were still available.

Real test is whether our talent ID is on point, not whether we got our men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
FFS - take a cold war mentality towards our drafting strategies, shut up say nothing, don't let anything out, not worry about the PR s**t and trying to engage with the fans. Get the premiership won then reveal some strategies.
The club is feeling the heat. They need to show competence somewhere.

They could give them the document because they knew that no-one was taking those players before their picks.

It's like handing someone a revolver with one bullet in it that you know the first five chambers are empty. All the strategy was done during trade week and leading up to the draft. So there's no harm in letting people know what you were doing before the fact.

Once we got inside Geelong with 16 we were sweet.

The club is feeling the heat. They need to show competence somewhere.
And gee its great to show it somewhere it won’t be proven actually competent for four+ years

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
They could give them the document because they knew that no-one was taking those players before their picks.

It's like handing someone a revolver with one bullet in it that you know the first five chambers are empty. All the strategy was done during trade week and leading up to the draft. So there's no harm in letting people know what you were doing before the fact.

Once we got inside Geelong with 16 we were sweet.
By "The Advertiser," they probably mean one reporter Port really trust. It would be silly to reveal our interest in Georgiadis on the eve of the draft after spending months trying to hide it from everybody.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Sounds like they locked away a group of players they knew were absolute locks for top 10 and then said, "of the rest of the available draftees, these are who we are targeting", knowing that there would be massive variances between pick 10 and 50 between clubs as they were so "even".

We selected injury prone players with good 2018 form, whose exposed form this year was a little mysterious, and maybe seen as "reaches" to be drafted before pick 25 by some other clubs as a consequence - but who we thought could be rehabilitated by our club medicos to reach their "ceilings".

High risk : high reward.

They end up a bust - blame it on bad luck with injuries. They end up stars - our list managers are Gods!

The document is honestly just dumb.

It should say we want Rowell with 12, Anderson 16 and Young with 18.

I don’t think any document is saying we got the best 4 players. It’s about draft strategy, reading tea leaves and moving around in the draft regardless.

The actual black art of pick swaps and trades to manipulate draft position really interest me.

It would never happen for a host of reasons but imagine how interesting it would be if every club post draft released their pre draft strategy and you could look at what they did in that context.

Mind you the advertiser article didn’t give much detail. I’d love to know for instance when we locked in our targets at each position and which trades those decisions influenced.

So I guess what I’m saying is that if the reporter really did have inside knowledge of our strategy, then the article is pretty vanilla.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its really worrying tho that everyone keeps saying about the injuries these players have had.
This has a massive potential to be a big bust year.
key words being used is potential and injuries on all of them doesnt fill you with confidence.
They are either going to be excellent players, high reward, or big busts

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Its really worrying tho that everyone keeps saying about the injuries these players have had.
This has a massive potential to be a big bust year.
key words being used is potential and injuries on all of them doesnt fill you with confidence.
They are either going to be excellent players, high reward, or big busts
I'ld take busts right now. Would rather prepare to leave Schoefield with a list stacked with elite talent, or a terrible list to rebuild. he will be given a few years grace to build his troops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back