List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

It will also be interesting to see our strategy regarding mead.

Ideally if we expect a bid to come around 22 (or wherever it could be different as players move up or down the order just using 22 as an example) It would be ideal if we could push our second rounder up before that bid.

Other teams have manipulated the system so I hope we take our chance. It would be better value to use those 4th rounders to pay for a second round f/s bid.

Then we would walk away with 3 high draft picks for the second year in a row and look for the late sliders again.

Trouble is finding a team that would want to downgrade a pick to our second.

Gws could be a possible candidate if Tom green looks likely to attract a top bid they may look for extra points.

Otherwise just trading our second out for a 2020 draft pick. I expect there would be quite a few teams interested.

Interesting times ahead. If we think Mead will be bid on between our first and second we should package them to try move up our first rounder right up, or as you said move our second pick up before we think he’ll go.

Taj Schofield you’d think at this point would be a likely first round pick so do we try do the same for next years draft (2020) and get a really early pick, or use that pick to try get a second early pick this year (2 in the top 10, or a top 5 and late first ?) or trade for a player either this coming trade period or next years.

Depending on where Tex Wanganeen sis in his draft year (is 2021 or 2022 ?) we may find ourself in a similar position where we are better trying to trade our first pick up or for a player and get a great FS as well, although I fully expect the AFL to change the system to stop us gaining a benefit from it by then.

Last edited:
Macca19

Who’s your early favourites?

How do you like Caleb serong?

I’m keen to see Dylan Stephens. Didn’t really get eyes on him last year but people are saying good things.

From SA I really really like Taheny. I haven't seen basically any of Stephens yet either.

I like Finlay and I love Pickett, despite the fact he's so small I reckon he'll be successful at AFL level.

Oakleigh could easily have the top 3 picks in the draft with Anderson, Rowell and Williams. Rowell looks great as that brute mid but there is something pretty special about Anderson. He's got x-factor and class written all over him.

2 in my like but unsure category at the moment are Gould and Flanders. I need to see a bit more from Gould as I don't think a 191cm, 100kg defender will make it at AFL level. Flanders as well looked great last year and I hope he continues to develop as he could be something special too.

Emerson Jeka and Lachlan Ash are probably my two favourites of this year at this point in time.

It will also be interesting to see our strategy regarding mead.

Ideally if we expect a bid to come around 22 (or wherever it could be different as players move up or down the order just using 22 as an example) It would be ideal if we could push our second rounder up before that bid.
Odds on the swamp dwellers putting in a bid just to annoy us and force us to go earlier than we otherwise would?

I believe Lukosius will be like pavlich... a 1 franchise player. Would throw the kitchen sink and everything else if there was a chance of him coming home.
Gold Coast locked down a bunch of average players to long term deals so they realise they need players who will stay long enough to establish some stability there (even if they aren't absolute top notch).

Given that when it comes down to the contest between us and Adelaide, if we want to budge him then, IMO, we'd do better to offer a top quality under 25 player, along with a first round pick, as our starting point. Adelaide always has players wanting to leave and I have to give it to them, they do a s**t load better extracting value then we do (witness what they got for Cameron and Lever versus Wingard and Polec). So we are unlikely to outbid them on draft picks.

So which quality under 25 player are people willing to give up? Emphasis on the quality. So it should be a player where you go 'He's on my list of untradeables'. Because those are the players we need to offer up if we want to win that auction.

Last edited:
At this point in time, we currently have...

- Default first round
- Default second round

- Default fourth round
- Adelaide's fourth round
Crows traded to Gold Coast in pick swap (they then used said pick on Tyson Stengle), Gold Coast then traded that pick to us for Jack Hombsch
- Western Bulldogs' fourth round Bulldogs traded it to Hawthorn for Taylor Duryea, it was then traded to us in the Wingard/Burton trade
- North Melbourne fourth round traded to us in the Polec/Pittard trade
- Default fifth round

Our third round pick was traded to Hawthorn in the Wingard/Burton trade

Supposing the 2019 ladder finishes identical to last season, the picks we would have would be:

9, 27, 60 (Western Bulldogs), 61 (Adelaide), 63, 64 (North Melbourne), 81 (2666 points)

I presume we have stocked up on later picks for bids on Jackson Mead and/or Trent Burgoyne

Last edited:
Gold Coast locked down a bunch of average players to long term deals so they realise they need players who will stay long enough to establish some stability there (even if they aren't absolute top notch).

Given that when it comes down to the contest between us and Adelaide, if we want to budge him then, IMO, we'd do better to offer a top quality under 25 player, along with a first round pick, as our starting point. Adelaide always has players wanting to leave and I have to give it to them, they do a s**t load better extracting value then we do (witness what they got for Cameron and Lever versus Wingard and Polec). So we are unlikely to outbid them on draft picks.

So which quality under 25 player are people willing to give up? Emphasis on the quality. So it should be a player where you go 'He's on my list of untradeables'. Because those are the players we need to offer up if we want to win that auction.
Then there's the problem of what high quality kid would go to the gold coast? Dont believe we have any young queenslanders who would go "home" to the gold coast..

Only reason I would move up to the gold coast would be if I'm a fringe player looking at getting a couple more years out of my career.

In case like me you were wondering about the name Anzac, Bicks has provided the answer

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-25/anzac-day-2017-boys-named-anzac-in-family-tradition/8469914

A teenager named Anzac will honour his name and his great-great grandfather by wearing his medals during today's march in Adelaide.

On this day, the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander soldiers recognised for making the ultimate sacrifice grows and stories like Private Arthur Thomas Walker's are told.

Pte Walker was one of 21 Ngarrindjeri people from near the Murray Mouth who enlisted illegally to fight in World War I.

He survived Gallipoli, then went to Egypt and finally France, where he was killed in action on the Western Front.

"I think it's a marvellous story of the purity of love of country, that men in the Aboriginal community and that small community of Raukkan [with] a very small community, had 21 men who volunteered to serve," South Australian veteran Bill Denny said.

Taj Schofield you’d think at this point would be a likely first round pick so do we try do the same for next years draft (2020) and get a really early pick, or use that pick to try get a second early pick this year (2 in the top 10, or a top 5 and late first ?) or trade for a player either this coming trade period or next years.

Depending on where Tex Wanganeen sis in his draft year (is 2021 or 2022 ?) we may find ourself in a similar position where we are better trying to trade our first pick up or for a player and get a great FS as well, although I fully expect the AFL to change the system to stop us gaining a benefit from it by then.

Trying to predict taj gets a bid before our 2020 1st is far too risky for me.

What if we ended up with pick 5 and he gets bid on at 7? We get two top 7 picks.

Worst case scenario we can trade out our 2020 1st when and if it became apparent taj will go that high. (I have no idea whether he will go that high it’s very early)

2020 draft is supposedly another huge year for sa kids. I want to keep those picks.

From SA I really really like Taheny. I haven't seen basically any of Stephens yet either.

I like Finlay and I love Pickett, despite the fact he's so small I reckon he'll be successful at AFL level.

Oakleigh could easily have the top 3 picks in the draft with Anderson, Rowell and Williams. Rowell looks great as that brute mid but there is something pretty special about Anderson. He's got x-factor and class written all over him.

2 in my like but unsure category at the moment are Gould and Flanders. I need to see a bit more from Gould as I don't think a 191cm, 100kg defender will make it at AFL level. Flanders as well looked great last year and I hope he continues to develop as he could be something special too.

Emerson Jeka and Lachlan Ash are probably my two favourites of this year at this point in time.

I normally hate small forwards who are small, but it’s usually because when people tell me they are fast and good at pressure it means they are normal speed, with the 10% loading attached because they are small they must be fast type thing going on.

But Pickett is genuinely fast fast. If anyone in the afl right now is faster than him I would say they don’t show it. I don’t care he is only 170cms. I do care he only touches the ball like 10x a game when I’ve seen him.

What’s Jeka? Roaming CHF? What’s he like? Key forwards in drafts devoid of them either go way too early or slide.

Gould looks pretty mobile to me for a big guy and he will lose that puppy fat in an AFL system. He gives up 2cms in height to clurey, and I can’t see that he is slower than him.

Testing data on the Father-Sons this February.

Jackson Mead
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
5m: 1.31
20m: 3.23
Agility: 8.76
Yo-Yo: 21.3

Trent Burgoyne
Height: 177cm
Weight: 67kg
Did not test

Taj Schofield
Height: 177cm
Weight: 74kg
5m: 1.15
20m: 3.06
Agility: 8.42
Yo-Yo: 20.7

Thanks Neddy!!

If that measurement is accurate mead has grown as the last measurements I saw were 181

Is that 20m time on the slow side I don’t follow testing much?

In any case he doesn’t look like a guy who relies on speed for his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st is far too risky for me.

What if we ended up with pick 5 and he gets bid on at 7? We get two top 7 picks.

Worst case scenario we can trade out our 2020 1st when and if it became apparent taj will go that high. (I have no idea whether he will go that high it’s very early)

2020 draft is supposedly another huge year for sa kids. I want to keep those picks.

Just speculative at this point, not saying we should or shouldn’t do anything . The club would have a better idea where he sits, certainly by the end of the yeardeprnding on how much U28 he plays as an underaged, by which point we should have a clearer picture where we should be likely to finish next year based on this years results and the way our young guys are developing (but you’re never certain)

If we get 5 and he goes at 7 great, two top 10 players.

But what if we end up have 15-18 are we happy just using that pick or do we want to use our second pick which slides (or lose it) anyway as it would be part of points to match the bid anyway to try move our first pick up the order and get those two elite talents ?

All to early to really say, just thinking outloud at this point in time. All risk vs reward, could be a master stroke if done well or miss out on good players if done poorly.

Thanks Neddy!!

If that measurement is accurate mead has grown as the last measurements I saw were 181

Is that 20m time on the slow side I don’t follow testing much?

In any case he doesn’t look like a guy who relies on speed for his game.

The last combine testing results I have was 2016 and 3.23 over 20m would have been the 2nd slowest player tested in that year. So he's very slow based on that, but it doesn't mean his result will be the same by the end of the year

What’s Jeka? Roaming CHF? What’s he like? Key forwards in drafts devoid of them either go way too early or slide.

He's a 197cm athletic KPP who can play at both ends but has looked better as a key forward. Good pace, good marking, good agility.

The last combine testing results I have was 2016 and 3.23 over 20m would have been the 2nd slowest player tested in that year. So he's very slow based on that, but it doesn't mean his result will be the same by the end of the year

Where did you manage to score the combine results?

Where did you manage to score the combine results?

giphy.gif

THE RUCKMEN in this year's NAB AFL Draft look set to be renowned for their athleticism, with three big men running three seconds or under in the 20m sprint at recent national Combine testing days.

Bendigo Pioneers ruckman and Vic Country Academy squad member Aaron Gundry (200cm) ran a time of 2.98sec, while Vic Metro and Sandringham prospect Andrew Courtney (200cm) ran 2.99sec over the distance.

West Perth product Zak Patterson (202cm) clocked a time of three seconds flat to highlight his speed, with any time under that three-second barrier considered exceptional for a player of that height.

West Australian ruckman Luke Jackson (198cm), a possible top-10 pick in this year's draft after forgoing a promising junior basketball career, ran a time of 6min 41sec in a recent 2km time trial to underline his credentials as a prime tall prospect.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/athletic-ruckmen-abound-in-2019-draft-crop

THE RUCKMEN in this year's NAB AFL Draft look set to be renowned for their athleticism, with three big men running three seconds or under in the 20m sprint at recent national Combine testing days.

Bendigo Pioneers ruckman and Vic Country Academy squad member Aaron Gundry (200cm) ran a time of 2.98sec, while Vic Metro and Sandringham prospect Andrew Courtney (200cm) ran 2.99sec over the distance.

West Perth product Zak Patterson (202cm) clocked a time of three seconds flat to highlight his speed, with any time under that three-second barrier considered exceptional for a player of that height.

West Australian ruckman Luke Jackson (198cm), a possible top-10 pick in this year's draft after forgoing a promising junior basketball career, ran a time of 6min 41sec in a recent 2km time trial to underline his credentials as a prime tall prospect.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/athletic-ruckmen-abound-in-2019-draft-crop
Jack Allen, 194cm, did 20m in 2.92s.

We should recruit Aaron Gundry so we have a Grundy and a Gundry. That would freak out commentators and BigFooty name butchers.

We should recruit Aaron Gundry so we have a Grundy and a Gundry. That would freak out commentators and BigFooty name butchers.

They'll both be Grundry's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back