Welcome 2019 Draft Pick #28 - Josh Worrell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Mutineer can you explain why De Koning was considered a better prospect than Worrell?
Short answer : He wasn't by very many other than Geelong and Stephen Wells and given the Cats Ruck group I'd say that's what got him over the line with them with his extra height. Worrell is the far more impressive of the pair, way more athleticism and better skilled. As long as Worrell settles into the AFL system I think he has way more potential to be a "special" player than De Koning as I've heard he can be a a very "extroverted" character. I'm sure Hamish would know this so obviously they're confident it can be tempered.

Last edited:

Peter J

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Short answer : He wasn't by very many other than Geelong and Stephen Wells and given the Cats Ruck group I'd say that's what got him over the line with them with his extra height. Worrell is the far more impressive of the pair, way more athleticism and better skilled. As long as Worrell settles into the AFL system I think he has way more potential to be a "special" player than De Koning as I've heard he can be a a very "extrverted" character. I'm sure Hamish would know this so obviously they're confident it can be tempered.
Yeah his interview was interesting where he straight up refers to himself as a smart arse. Also that it took a bit to fix his attitude at training as a junior.

I guess admitting that stuff straight out is a good indication of recognition and rectification

FAITH

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2007
Road To LFC Treble 2019-20
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Short answer : He wasn't by very many other than Geelong and Stephen Wells and given the Cats Ruck group I'd say that's what got him over the line with them with his extra height. Worrell is the far more impressive of the pair, way more athleticism and better skilled. As long as Worrell settles into the AFL system I think he has way more potential to be a "special" player than De Koning as I've heard he can be a a very "extroverted" character. I'm sure Hamish would know this so obviously they're confident it can be tempered.
DeKoning is a much better pure kpd prospect than Worrell.
Worrell has some dash to him though.

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Someone mentioned earlier that Worrell's brother in-law is on our recruiting team.... is that true? Does that mean Worrell's sister lives here in Adelaide or is our recruiting still based in Melbourne?

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
DeKoning is a much better pure kpd prospect than Worrell.
Worrell has some dash to him though.
Reckon Worrell has more X Factor and upside than De Koning, still very good overhead but really damaging kicking and rebounding, as well as better athleticism and run than De Koning and McAsey. AFL draft central summed it up well - 'kicks like a small, marks like a tall'. A really good compliment to McAsey, and a superb get at 28

FAITH

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2007
Road To LFC Treble 2019-20
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Reckon Worrell has more X Factor and upside than De Koning, still very good overhead but really damaging kicking and rebounding, as well as better athleticism and run than De Koning and McAsey. AFL draft central summed it up well - 'kicks like a small, marks like a tall'. A really good compliment to McAsey, and a superb get at 28
In terms of pure kpd though, DeKoning is miles ahead.
Worrell will be fun to watch.

SaltPeter

"I’m a professional bullshitter"
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Someone mentioned earlier that Worrell's brother in-law is on our recruiting team.... is that true? Does that mean Worrell's sister lives here in Adelaide or is our recruiting still based in Melbourne?
Hamish mentioned it in 1 of the interviews (SEN I think). Probably 1 of the Melbourne based recruiters ..?

Top Bottom