Welcome 2019 Draft Pick #42 - Ronin O'Connor

What’s your opinion?

• Total voters

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone know what our marking stats were like for our mids in 2019? I going by the assumption that the coaches want more marks out of the midfield if they are pushing for recruiting taller mids.
There’s only a handful of contested marks taken per team each game. Height isn’t really a factor given midfields would barely share 2 between them. More marks is about ball use and getting into advantageous position without a competitor for that ball.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone know what our marking stats were like for our mids in 2019? I going by the assumption that the coaches want more marks out of the midfield if they are pushing for recruiting taller mids.
I would think it would be just simply to add some size and strength inside the contest to compliment the ball magnets Crouch X 2 with the added bonus of good pace to go with it in the case of Ronin. CEY and Hugh not known for their speed and tanks, moreso lack of same.

Last edited:

Mr_Moogle

Brownlow Medallist
May 29, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
There’s only a handful of contested marks taken per team each game. Height isn’t really a factor given midfields would barely share 2 between them. More marks is about ball use and getting into advantageous position without a competitor for that ball.
Yeah it's all about speed of ball movement now I agree.

It's kind of funny/sad that despite drafting pretty tall, we actually look like a faster more mobile side than we did before.

I would think it would be just simply to add some size and strength inside the contest to compliment the ball magnets Crouch X 2 with the added bonus of good pace to go with it in the case of Ronin. CEY and Hugh not known for their speed and tanks, moreso lack of same.
O'Connor looks like he will build into a massive unit in a couple of years. Lots of upside here if we can cover for his weaknesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom