Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I laugh how pick 48 is now deemed a late pick. Plenty of picks in the 40 play early, we had Sloane and Gov.

And we aren’t even talking early, this guy is years away from playing. This has had to be a rookie selection or we move on.
I mean only 65 picks this year so well and truly in the back half of the draft, I'm not massively fussed. Over the moon with our first three picks, and that's probably what's going to matter going forward

I mean only 65 picks this year so well and truly in the back half of the draft, I'm not massively fussed. Over the moon with our first three picks, and that's probably what's going to matter going forward

Yep the depth of the draft nosedived around pick 40-45. Most picks after that were highly speculative

I can make a case for Ronin O'Connor but Gollant is a real gobsmackerm if Hamish gets this one right I will NEVER question him again. Ever.

When you consider lads like Callum Park [ he is still available?] look to have as much or more development in them and they're local. I'm truly gobsmacked with this one. 48 is not what I consider a late pick/

I can make a case for Ronin O'Connor but Gollant is a real gobsmackerm if Hamish gets this one right I will NEVER question him again. Ever.

When you consider lads like Callum Park [ he is still available?] look to have as much or more development in them and they're local. I'm truly gobsmacked with this one. 48 is not what I consider a late pick/
Will be watching with interest then !

Park/Shute still a chance in the rookie draft, three more opportunities to pick up some good talent so I'm not hugely fussed about us passing those guys up either. Who knows, Shute or Park might be our first pick tomorrow

Pick 48 is a mid third round pick, a mid range pick overall, on no level is that a late pick. If that’s a late pick, what’s 63 we used on Scholl? A really really late pick? Or how about the pick 80 odd on Atkins?

Jack Graham played in a flag after going 53. There are plenty of examples.

He’s 191 and 73kgs, unless he is going on the roids he ain’t getting to AFL playing weight for years, if at all.
I’m not sure why you keep picking random guys picked in the 40s and 50s, you can literally do that in any draft and sound like a guru in hindsight.

My brother is best mates with Lachy. You guys have loved him since mid year when he burst onto the scene and GWS were gonna take him at the next pick so had to take him at that pick.
Has a lot going for him, got a perfect score in year 12 biology when he was in year 11.
No doubt he’ll take time though
Well the selection makes a lot more sense now, cheers for that.

If he wasn’t from SA, would you even know who he is?

He was talked about a lot as a potential first round pick last year, so yes.

I'm happy to give Ogilvie the benefit of the doubt and if he pulls this one off, he's a genius. However, the comparisons with Taheny are going to start immediately and rightfully so.

I never said it was a blanket rule, I said your claim was the exception rather than rule. I notice you’ve completely ignored the post above too explaining why we selected him.
So we don’t back ourselves into find players who are ready to go when we’ve already shown we can?

I just read that, a couple of things, first the bloke doesn’t know for sure if GWS were going to and second, GWS with their list can afford to be speculative and for someone to take 15 years to get a game, we aren’t in that position

He was talked about a lot as a potential first round pick last year, so yes.

I'm happy to give Ogilvie the benefit of the doubt and if he pulls this one off, he's a genius. However, the comparisons with Taheny are going to start immediately and rightfully so.
Why rightfully so? We watch just as much, if not more, of players outside of SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we don’t back ourselves into find players who are ready to go?

I just read that, a couple of things, first the bloke doesn’t know for sure if GWS were going to and second, GWS with their list can afford to be speculative and for someone to take 15 years to get a game, we aren’t in that position
It was our last live pick, those tend to be on project players. Hamish says every year to be patient, and every year there’s posts like yours expecting them to be able to play afl from day dot.

My brother is best mates with Lachy. You guys have loved him since mid year when he burst onto the scene and GWS were gonna take him at the next pick so had to take him at that pick.
Has a lot going for him, got a perfect score in year 12 biology when he was in year 11.
No doubt he’ll take time though
Elite Crow, this guy doesn’t have any doubts the Giants were selecting him at their next pick, not the type of thing to makeup about a random player nobody has heard of either. Stop making up s**t, he clearly wasn’t lasting until the rookie draft.

So we don’t back ourselves into find players who are ready to go when we’ve already shown we can?

Alternatively, we back ourselves that our projects aren't a waste of time.

It's our 5th pick, and we've picked pretty safely prior to this point, we can also afford a speculative shot. Considering the draft only went for another 15 players past this point, it's also clear we were scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

Elite Crow, this guy doesn’t have any doubts the Giants were selecting him at their next pick, not the type of thing to makeup about a random player nobody has heard of either. Stop making up s**t, he clearly wasn’t lasting until the rookie draft.
Now how many clubs have told players the exact pick they will be drafted?

Cmon clubs show interest but no one says we are definitely taken you with pick 49.

Alternatively, we back ourselves that our projects aren't a waste of time.

It's our 5th pick, and we've picked pretty safely prior to this point, we can also afford a speculative shot.
In the rookie draft, this was a pick in the 40s

It was our last live pick, those tend to be on project players. Hamish says every year to be patient, and every year there’s posts like yours expecting them to be able to play afl from day dot.
Scholl a project player? Or someone who could get a game in his second year? Butts a rookie could get a game next year in his second year.

It was a pick in the 40s, you’re making out it was a pick in the 80s where project players tend to go.

Now how many clubs have told players the exact pick they will be drafted?

Cmon clubs show interest but no one says we are definitely taken you with pick 49.
Clubs won’t tell you the exact pick, but do you think Hamish wouldn’t have some sort of idea where the Giants will take him? There is no way that poster came on here to make something up, what’s the point? It’s just explaining why the Crows pounced at their last live pick instead of waiting for the rookie draft.

In the rookie draft, this was a pick in the 40s

And? We had 4 picks prior.

If you think the kid has a very high ceiling, but needs a lot of work, your last pick is the time to take said player.

Why rightfully so? We watch just as much, if not more, of players outside of SA.

The local player talked about as being in first round contention last year who had an injury hampered year yet still managed to average 2.5 goals a game in the SANFL versus the guy nobody has heard of who may well have been available in the rookie draft. That's why.

I will also say, that Gollant does look to fill our needs better than Taheny.

Clubs won’t tell you the exact pick, but do you think Hamish wouldn’t have some sort of idea where the Giants will take him? There is no way that poster came on here to make something up, what’s the point? It’s just explaining why the Crows pounced at their last live pick instead of waiting for the rookie draft.
No player would have an assurance they would be picked up, it just doesn’t happen and that’s what the guy said. If you want to take it as gospel from some random you don’t know, go for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back