Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Gee the melts are gathering steam in here, be happy for the lad, at least wait till you see him play a few SANFL games before you call him a bust.

Tahney obviously didn't have the right attitude, talent only gets you so far, you still need to be a dedicated hard worker and good team mate.

thirtytwo

At Average Joes
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
DJR/ Team penske
By that definition all draftees are project players.

Scholl and Butts could play in their second year, that’s the point, at 191cms and 73kgs he doesn’t have the body to play for years, he will he snapped in two.
So you’re basing your criticism of this selection purely based on his weight and that he will take some time develop?

Is he good at football?
Thats all I care about.

I haven’t seen him play but I’m guessing he was selected on the level of football ability he potentially has, and quite obviously the club suspected others were also interested in drafting him on his..... potential, so we reached a bit.
He may turn out to be good or he may be a bust but I’m perfectly comfortable with us using our last live pick on a project player.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Quite a few highlights of him on the NAB League app.

Interesting player; positionally stays very outside, seems to be a wing/half-back, built like a twig, kicks nicely, right-footed but happy to use his left whenever it suits and seems solid with it, strong hands in the air and courageous, fine with getting his hands dirty and tackling hard whenever he’s drawn into the contest, clean hands, not at all slow but no express pace.

I’m stunned we didn’t take Taheny but this guy will be fun to watch.

Yeah, just watched some of his work on the NAB App and this sums him up nicely.

Looks pretty comfortable with either foot and not afraid of a cuddle.

Agree re his pace, not lightning quick but seems to move well across the ground.

Definitely some decent tools to work with.

Needs to leave the long sleeves in Victoria.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Genuinely puzzled why you are making such a fuss over this pick.

Players taken after pick 40 rarely make it. In the 30 picks generally taken after this point in the main draft, less than five typically amount to anything. There are rare exceptions like Sloane, Parker and Neale but these are exceptionally rare.

On top of that, there weren't many players taken after this that looked any good. Most were extremely speculative, and on top of that this was a shorter than usual draft with only 65 picks, indicating below average late depth. In fact in 2018 and 2017 there were more than 75 picks taken
You know how Big Footy works, you provide your opinion, others disagree with it, you end up arguing your opinion and then that morphs into making “such a fuss”.

Would be better if I just followed the sheep, then no fuss.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree re his pace, not lightning quick but seems to move well across the ground.

Dual sided by foot is a great asset to have

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

Needs to leave the long sleeves in Victoria.

I like all this but I hope he keeps the sleeves and Worrell keeps the hair and hairband. Have some character, boys.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We only had 37 players on our Primary List prior to selecting Gollant. Even if we thought no one else had ever heard of him and he would slip through to the last pick in the rookie draft, we had to select someone.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that there was no one else left that we wanted to offer a two year contract. The fact that he is not physically ready to go means we have to back him in for at least two years. If we want another ready to go midfielder then we can pick up Partington in the rookie draft.

We rated McAsy higher than Stephens, Young, Serong and Flanders.

We rated Schoenberg higher than Gould and Sharp.

We rated Worrell higher than Jones, Smith, Perez, Taylor amd Rantall

We rated O’Connor higher than Bianco, Ralphsmith and Ramsay

And we rated Gollant above Taheny and the other 16 players drafted after pick 48.

There is little point trying to argue that Hamish has screwed it up, just bump this thread in four year’s time.

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
A long sleever, kicked very high around the body alot.... that won't fly in the AFL

I did notice that when he was on his left side he kicked with his left foot and those kicks went somewhat high.
Then later in the highlights he kicked with his right leg which I'm guessing is his preferred side and the more accurate kick.
Have no problem with those high kicks if he was clearing a zone with his non dominant foot.
I wish more players in our team would kick with their non preferred leg.
All players at this level should have the ability to at least kick with their opposite foot when in trouble.
Small sample size of vision, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt at present.

loplop

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
afc
We complain when no one wants to come to Adelaide because it’s a fish bowl and yet here we are melting when we draft someone we never heard off? Give the lad a chance to develop and back our recruiters in as they have the runs on the board!

The more melts on draft nights the more likely the player turns out to be a gun!

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I don’t know this guy but I’m sure not criticising a pick where I don’t know

If it’s a player I’ve seen and I don’t rate I’ll say but who knows

I’d never seen Doedee and thankfully I kept my mouth shut because I know better than to comment on someone I don’t know about

So I’m willing to see
Little bit the same with this one.

We've taken a swing at him, so let's see how it plays out.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
BACCS interesting to hear Hamish’s comments “we think another year as a 19 year old and he could have gone anywhere so we grabbed him now” or words to that effect, no word of GWS going to take him ;) he didn’t expect him to be drafted

I’ve edited my comment, no it isn’t

Fair enough.

There is no point getting caught with your dick in your hands trying to be cute if you rate someone, unless you know you can get away with it (which I suspect we weren't able to confirm, as we would have traded down to incur more points in 2020 if we thought we were alone in rating Gollant in the ND). Equally to that, if you rated the smokey at 25, as long as you've had enough picks that this will most likely be the point you'll bow out of the draft, go for it, not every draftee needs to be ready round 1 to play, especially talls. Otherwise, gambling on other clubs not seeing what you see is either just hubris or some serious confidence issues.

Doedee is a fun example of that one, and I doubt that's a pick we're regretting.

By that definition all draftees are project players.

Scholl and Butts could play in their second year, that’s the point, at 191cms and 73kgs he doesn’t have the body to play for years, he will he snapped in two.

If you're gunning for midfield time with Gollant, he could start contributing at 82-83 kgs which would be doable in a season without impacting fitness too heavily (just a lot of gym work, but strength would have to be the priority here anyway). Even third tall positions that'd be a comfortable start point, which is no different from Butts timeline-wise.

Likely to be 2 years away, which is fine.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's look at it this way.

H and his team has been scouring the country all year looking at a lot of kiddies playing in boring, crap football games.

Come draft night it's time to get serious. The first four picks are for substance and nutrition, meat and three veg.

Then at the end of the night, at the end of a long year, it's time for a fun dessert. Some chocolate ice-cream with a cherry on top.

Gollant is H''s fun pick, (It will also be fun for us to see if Twiggy Gollant can make the grade).

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
We only had 37 players on our Primary List prior to selecting Gollant. Even if we thought no one else had ever heard of him and he would slip through to the last pick in the rookie draft, we had to select someone.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that there was no one else left that we wanted to offer a two year contract. The fact that he is not physically ready to go means we have to back him in for at least two years. If we want another ready to go midfielder then we can pick up Partington in the rookie draft.

We rated McAsy higher than Stephens, Young, Serong and Flanders.

We rated Schoenberg higher than Gould and Sharp.

We rated Worrell higher than Jones, Smith, Perez, Taylor amd Rantall

We rated O’Connor higher than Bianco, Ralphsmith and Ramsay

And we rated Gollant above Taheny and the other 16 players drafted after pick 48.

There is little point trying to argue that Hamish has screwed it up, just bump this thread in four year’s time.

No.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
All evidence suggests that we did - given that we willingly traded down from 4 to 6. Hamish would have had a very good idea who Sydney wanted, so he would have known that Stephens was unlikely to be available at #6 - and yet he did the trade anyway.

All evidence suggests that Hamish rated McAsey ahead of Stephens.

You have no evidence other than your personal opinions, which is not evidence.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
All evidence suggests that we did - given that we willingly traded down from 4 to 6. Hamish would have had a very good idea who Sydney wanted, so he would have known that Stephens was unlikely to be available at #6 - and yet he did the trade anyway.

He’s just being an utter flog

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United

i'm willing to accept Hamish rated McAsey + GWS 1st rounder next year > Stephens.
But not willing to accept they rate McAsey > Stephens.

I have no doubt if both were available at 6, we would've take Stephens.

Its all done now, im not gonna keep going on about it.

Look forward to watching both their careers closely.

Back