Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
i'm willing to accept Hamish rated McAsey + GWS 1st rounder next year > Stephens.
But not willing to accept they rate McAsey > Stephens.

I have no doubt if both were available at 6, we would've take Stephens.

Its all done now, im not gonna keep going on about it.

Look forward to watching both their careers closely.
Like I said.. it's your opinion - and you're welcome to state it as such. However, it is only your opinion, and it is not supported by any actual evidence.

The facts are:
  • Hamish traded down from pick #4 and pick #6
  • Sydney selected Stephens with pick #5.
  • Clubs have a pretty strong idea of which players will be selected where, particularly early in the draft.
  • Thus, it is highly likely (not established fact) that Ogilvie knew that Stephens would be unavailable before he traded down to #6.
  • We saw Brisbane give use 2x 2nd round picks to draft Robertson - I doubt (opinion, not fact) Ogilvie would have traded down if he rated Stephens ahead of McAsey.
  • McAsey was clearly rated as the best KPP in the draft, and it was absolutely no surprise to anyone when we selected him at #6 (every single journalist had us selecting him).
  • Adelaide had lost a large number of KPPs this year, and had an aging collection of KPPs still on the list (Walker, Talia, Hartigan).
  • Adelaide's merit order is based on a number of factors, weighted by needs - and KPPs were definitely a big need this year.
All of this evidence suggests that McAsey was higher on Ogilvie's merit order list than Stephens.

Your evidence is non-existent, it is only opinion. Do not attempt to pass it off as fact (and yes, I am often accused of doing the same thing).

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Like I said.. it's your opinion - and you're welcome to state it as such. However, it is only your opinion, and it is not supported by any actual evidence.

The facts are:
  • Hamish traded down from pick #4 and pick #6
  • Sydney selected Stephens with pick #5.
  • Clubs have a pretty strong idea of which players will be selected where, particularly early in the draft.
  • Thus, it is highly likely (not established fact) that Ogilvie knew that Stephens would be unavailable before he traded down to #6.
  • We saw Brisbane give use 2x 2nd round picks to draft Robertson - I doubt (opinion, not fact) Ogilvie would have traded down if he rated Stephens ahead of McAsey.
  • McAsey was clearly rated as the best KPP in the draft, and it was absolutely no surprise to anyone when we selected him at #6 (every single journalist had us selecting him).
  • Adelaide had lost a large number of KPPs this year, and had an aging collection of KPPs still on the list (Walker, Talia, Hartigan).
  • Adelaide's merit order is based on a number of factors, weighted by needs - and KPPs were definitely a big need this year.
All of this evidence suggests that McAsey was higher on Ogilvie's merit order list than Stephens.

Your evidence is non-existent, it is only opinion. Do not attempt to pass it off as fact (and yes, I am often accused of doing the same thing).

no one had a clue before our trade with gws (including Hamish) that Stephens would be taken by Swans @ 5. All the talk was he would go 6-12.
All the talk for Swans was Flanders, it was only the day of the draft that Hamish knew Stephens would go to the Swans.

As i said. Even now im willing to give you McAsay + GWS 1st rounder > Stephens, but not McAsay > Stephens.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
no one had a clue before our trade with gws (including Hamish) that Stephens would be taken by Swans @ 5. All the talk was he would go 6-12.
All the talk for Swans was Flanders, it was only the day of the draft that Hamish knew Stephens would go to the Swans.

As i said. Even now im willing to give you McAsay + GWS 1st rounder > Stephens, but not McAsay > Stephens.
Sydney stated that they were taking him 24 hours before the draft. I doubt Ogilvie was in any doubt when he did the GWS trade.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sydney stated that they were taking him 24 hours before the draft. I doubt Ogilvie was in any doubt when he did the GWS trade.
i have no doubt Hamish was clueless like everyone til 48 hours out.

look at his interview the day before the draft on afl site, he said Swans pick is really unknown which way they go.

As i said, its done now. We move on.

look at his interview the day before the draft on afl site, he said Swans pick is really unknown which way they go.

If it was really unknown which way they'd go, why would we risk it?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

Even if he didn't know they wanted Stephens (and thought they wanted Flanders), he knew they didn't want McAsey - and that's all he really cared about! He knew he could safely trade down from #4 to #6, and get the same player at the later pick.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
If it was really unknown which way they'd go, why would we risk it?
It really doesn't matter whether he thought they would pick Flanders or Stephens. What matters is that he knew they weren't interested in McAsey, who was our draft target. Knowing that, he knew it was safe to trade down from #4 to #6, knowing that he'd still be getting the same player.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
because as i said, the worst situation was McAsey + Gws 1st rounder > Stephens.
Close... that was the best, worst, and most likely situation. All evidence suggests that he rated McAsey ahead of Stephens.

Putting it mathematically...

McAsey > Stephens
therefore
McAsey + GWS 1st >> Stephens

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
because as i said, the worst situation was McAsey + Gws 1st rounder > Stephens.
Seriously, you are being a dick. Clearly you were wrong with all your bullshitting and now you’re doubling down.

Just like your intel that Geelong were desperate for Flanders and yet when they had to give up bugger all they didn’t move for him.

You are full of s**t, a confirmed bullshitter. Why you keep it up is just weird, you need help.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
This is the Gollant thread right? Not the Stephens V McAsey thread? I feel like I'm a bit lost.

Gollant looks to have some promise, BUT looking at his build, I'm not even sure he can play SANFL next year. He looks like a guy that still needs to play U18's. I wonder if we can do a deal with CC and ask them to still play him as an overage player? Will let him keep developing while we still have him on our books?

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Close... that was the best, worst, and most likely situation. All evidence suggests that he rated McAsey ahead of Stephens.

Putting it mathematically...

McAsey > Stephens
therefore
McAsey + GWS 1st >> Stephens

nope:
ideal/what we were hoping for situation: we get our man Stephens @ 6 and Gws 1st rounder;
next best situation: we get McAsay @ 6 + GWS 1st rounder.
Worse situation: we get Stephens @ 4 with no gws 1st rounder

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Seriously, you are being a dick. Clearly you were wrong with all your bullshitting and now you’re doubling down.

Just like your intel that Geelong were desperate for Flanders and yet when they had to give up bugger all they didn’t move for him.

You are full of s**t, a confirmed bullshitter. Why you keep it up is just weird, you need help.
At least FAITH puts up his thoughts, which opens him & others to criticism .....you just sit in the cheap seats & snipe at every positive post, whilst not offering anything of value to read

Anyone can rip a post apart ....it's your forte

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
At least FAITH puts up his thoughts, which opens him & others to criticism .....you just sit in the cheap seats & snipe at every positive post, whilst offering anyting of value to read

you would think he'd spend his time at Centrelink in a much more productive manner :)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
nope:
ideal/what we were hoping for situation: we get our man Stephens @ 6 and Gws 1st rounder;
next best situation: we get McAsay @ 6 + GWS 1st rounder.
Worse situation: we get Stephens @ 4 with no gws 1st rounder
Faith, the Crows have always started "rebuilds" starting with the spine .....never in th clubs history, has it rebuilt using a player like Stephens

Stephens would be the type of player we'd select in 2 years time ....same as we wouldn't have selected Milera in this draft

We wanted to go back from #6 to #9 ...to still get McAsey, not because Stephens was off the table

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
This is the Gollant thread right? Not the Stephens V McAsey thread? I feel like I'm a bit lost.

Gollant looks to have some promise, BUT looking at his build, I'm not even sure he can play SANFL next year. He looks like a guy that still needs to play U18's. I wonder if we can do a deal with CC and ask them to still play him as an overage player? Will let him keep developing while we still have him on our books?
Lease him out one of the SANFL teams to play U18's as an over ager?
;)

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Faith, the Crows have always started "rebuilds" starting with the spine .....never in th clubs history, has it rebuilt using a player like Stephens

Stephens would be the type of player we'd select in 2 years time ....same as we wouldn't have selected Milera in this draft

We wanted to go back from #6 to #9 ...to still get McAsey, not because Stephens was off the table

you know i respect your opinions more than most on here, but respectfully disagree with you here.

are we even in rebuild phase? our top 12 players are absolutely elite. wouldn't surprise me if we played finals next season.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
you would think he'd spend his time at Centrelink in a much more productive manner :)
Statler & Waldorf always springs to mind with EC

1574990410518.png

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
you know i respect your opinions more than most on here, but respectfully disagree with you here.

are we even in rebuild phase? our top 12 players are absolutely elite. wouldn't surprise me if we played finals next season.
Yes we are ....but to our credit, we've got the timing right .....GEEL are leaving their's too late IMO

Bring the youth in, whilst you still have a good core ....and you have an aging spine.....kids will develop quicker, history has shown this

I wouldn't be surprised to play finals ....who did we lose that was a critical piece ....maybe Keath ...but not Dougie, Greenwood, CEY, Jenkins

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least FAITH puts up his thoughts, which opens him & others to criticism .....you just sit in the cheap seats & snipe at every positive post, whilst offering anyting of value to read

You absolute hypocritical tosser.

Go back to the beginning of this thread, I offered my thoughts on this selection and read the subsequent responses.

I offer my thoughts plenty, but because they don’t often fit in with the Mary Poppins brigade it often turns into a s**t fight from all angles because I don’t buckle to drivel.

As for Faith, he’s bullshitting, he’s been proven to have bullshitted, he’s making you and anyone who believes him look like fools. If that’s the type of positive posting you want, I refer back to my first line.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey guys, I do come in peace.

I was able to watch a fair few Nab league games which featured a few CC games. I must admit I am quite shocked he was drafted. I thought rookie list at best perhaps or maybe another year in the NAB league as an overage player.

I did see that maybe he was spotted during school footy games and that's where the interest might have popped up. He's very skinny, but definitely has some tools that in a full time AFL environment could turn him into a tall wingman/running HB. Extremely raw and will need a good 12 to 18 months of good development which is why these are the picks that can turn into gold if he develops well and plays good regular senior footy in the future.

At this pick I had you guys looking at maybe Cam Tahney, Josh Honey or even a Jake Riccardi.

All the best for next year.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yes we are ....but to our credit, we've got the timing right .....GEEL are leaving their's too late IMO

Bring the youth in, whilst you still have a good core ....and you have an aging spine.....kids will develop quicker, history has shown this

I wouldn't be surprised to play finals ....who did we lose that was a critical piece ....maybe Keath ...but not Dougie, Greenwood, CEY, Jenkins

Probably the worng thread, but you think we could play finals next year?
Other than Keath possibly Betts, we havent lost much.
New coach, no burton or campo, enthusiasm etc, wouldnt surprise me.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Probably the worng thread, but you think we could play finals next year?
Other than Keath possibly Betts, we havent lost much.
New coach, no burton or campo, enthusiasm etc, wouldnt surprise me.
Yep .....but injuries will cruel us

Back