Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It has finally happened

Lachlan Gollant holds a rare distinction, the only one in our club. He is the first. Can you guess what it is?

He's our first player born post-9/11... by one day. Our first draftee who's never known anything but a government at war.
Holy shite. I remember sitting up at 11pm at night watching that second plane fly into the tower. To think these kids weren’t even born then!

Holy shite. I remember sitting up at 11pm at night watching that second plane fly into the tower. To think these kids weren’t even born then!
I was in year 9 at the time, the next day we did no school work we simply watched the news coverage in every class, at recess and Lunch it's all we talked about.

i have no doubt Hamish was clueless like everyone til 48 hours out.

There we are with the no doubt thing

you were claiming (another Worpel moment for you) that Hamish had a huge boner for Stephens

which, if true (it isn’t cause you know, it’s you) means he doesn’t trade down

No one believes anything you say so why bother?

Is F1 and F2 busy today?

Did you hear the SEN interview with Hamish when asked if we let Stephens slip through our fingers and responded “No, we always expected to take McAsey with our first pick“.

So.....

1) Two weeks ago almost all the experts expected that we would take Flanders with Pick 4.

2) Over the last two weeks McAsey’s name was increasingly linked with Adelaide.

3) We then moved from Pick 4 to Pick 6 when it was agreed by the “draft experts“ that Sydney would be taking a midfielder (like errr Stephens) and Melbourne would be picking up Jackson.

4) As the Draft approached the “experts” were all in agreement that Freo would be taking Young and Serong.

5) The “experts” were also predicting that Carlton would be taking Stephens with Pick 9.

6) On the morning of day one of the draft the rumours emerged that Adelaide and Carlton were discussing a swap of picks 6 and 9.

7) Once Stephens was taken by Sydney the pick swap died.

The obvious conclusion in Faithworld is that Adelaide were desperate to take Stephens?????
We also wanted to take Gould before Shoenberg, Rantall before Worrell and Taheny before Gollent.

You made a dick of yourself by declaring endlessly that we wouldn’t use pick 6 on McAsey. Drop your pants, do a quick lap of the pool table and then STFU.

don’t forget FAITH is still determined that we really intended to take Worpel with our first pick and not Darcy Fogarty

like he DM’d Drugs Are Bad Mackay? on the day of the 2017 draft with his hit scoop we were taking Worpel with pick 12

we didn’t. We didn’t even take him with our third round pick at 40

strangely he still thinks he was right on that one 🤣🤣🤣

Is F1 and F2 busy today?

Did you hear the SEN interview with Hamish when asked if we let Stephens slip through our fingers and responded “No, we always expected to take McAsey with our first pick“.

So.....

1) Two weeks ago almost all the experts expected that we would take Flanders with Pick 4.

2) Over the last two weeks McAsey’s name was increasingly linked with Adelaide.

3) We then moved from Pick 4 to Pick 6 when it was agreed by the “draft experts“ that Sydney would be taking a midfielder (like errr Stephens) and Melbourne would be picking up Jackson.

4) As the Draft approached the “experts” were all in agreement that Freo would be taking Young and Serong.

5) The “experts” were also predicting that Carlton would be taking Stephens with Pick 9.

6) On the morning of day one of the draft the rumours emerged that Adelaide and Carlton were discussing a swap of picks 6 and 9.

7) Once Stephens was taken by Sydney the pick swap died.

The obvious conclusion in Faithworld is that Adelaide were desperate to take Stephens?????
We also wanted to take Gould before Shoenberg, Rantall before Worrell and Taheny before Gollent.

You made a dick of yourself by declaring endlessly that we wouldn’t use pick 6 on McAsey. Drop your pants, do a quick lap of the pool table and then STFU.

"Currently suspended poster FAITH has dropped a bombshell via PM.
Has RELATIVELY SOLID INTEL that we are heavily into James Worpel (whoever that is) and are a big chance to take him at 12. "​

this was such a hot take he had to PM a mod to make sure this super hot info dropped in time to restore his blown credibility.

Richo was being interviewed on talking footy when they cut live to it happening.
I just wanted them to go back to the interview

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched a few more of his highlight videos on the NAB League app today.

I wonder if he could play as the third tall in defence. He actually reminds me a little bit of Lever with his running style and kicking action.
I did the same just now, and thought exactly the same thing.

A few really nice intercept marks, moves the ball on quickly.

191 cm is a reasonable height for a third tall defender.

Don’t think I saw him kick more than 35 metres. He can do some leg weights as part of the gym program please thankyou.

Finally, a proper Hamish special.

Hamish may have rated Stephens higher than McAsey, just not higher enough to knock back a late 1st rounder.

Exactly, you make the trade, you accept the risk that you're potentially going to drop down your draft order. Simple as that. You run through the potential permutations and if its worth the risk you go ahead.

End of the day we were on record as saying there were 3-4 players that were very much in the mix for pick 4, rated very similarly. Dropping from 4-6 we still get one of those picks and at worse drop 2 picks down our draft list, potenitally get the same player. When the return is a likely mid-late 1st next year, then you make that trade every day of the week in a sport which requires 22 players per team.

The only reason you don't make the trade if the gulf between one player available and the rest is massive. If there was 1 thing the "experts" regarding this draft agreed upon, it was that ~3-10 was very even.

there could have been a player they rated 20 spots higher at that pick. At best they could tell a player that they’re looking to take them with a certain pick but that would be conditional on their talent order largely being extinguished as expected. But if a higher rated player is still available at that pick then that’s the kid they go with.

Its funny, every time we pick a relative unknown it seems we get a random poster come on saying "Club X were about to pick him with their next pick..."

It may be true, but almost happens with clockwork regularity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to put this kid on the same regimen Sholl is on.
Sholl has stacked up nicely within 12 months, so I don’t know why some on here thinks Gollant needs another 3 years to be of decent size. Continuing on with the Sholl comparison, I see in his highlights that he’s capable of kicking on both sides, a really handy skill.

Sholl has stacked up nicely within 12 months, so I don’t know why some on here thinks Gollant needs another 3 years to be of decent size. Continuing on with the Sholl comparison, I see in his highlights that he’s capable of kicking on both sides, a really handy skill.
Sholl who is 6cms shorter weighed 2 more kilos than Gollant when they were both drafted.

Given we don’t know if Sholl is still physically capable of playing AFL, perhaps there’s your answer why some might think it’s going to be 3 years until Gollant is a decent size.

Well Gollant does need to gain ~ 20 kg before he's at an ideal weight.

If he gains 10 kg this year he'll probably be at the point he could debut next year. The good thing about a lack of natural pace (though I suspect he's faster than the 3.15 he posted for a 20 m sprint) is that it isn't as fine of a balancing act to put the weight on.

If he gains 10 kg this year he'll probably be at the point he could debut next year. The good thing about a lack of natural pace (though I suspect he's faster than the 3.15 he posted for a 20 m sprint) is that it isn't as fine of a balancing act to put the weight on.
Ideal weight can take a few years to reach. You don't need to be at an ideal weight to be tried a few games though. A fair few skinny lads come to mind and have done well when tried - Butters (Port), Hayward (Swans). Even our DMac was a skinny starter (and some might say he still remains that).

Ideal weight can take a few years to reach. You don't need to be at an ideal weight to be tried a few games though. A fair few skinny lads come to mind and have done well when tried - Butters (Port), Hayward (Swans). Even our DMac was a skinny starter (and some might say he still remains that).

How could anyone forget Xavier Ellis when was drafted. He was the definition of skinny.

Role is super important.

You can get away with it on the outside, you can't on the inside. Regardless Gollant is 10 kg away from even being considered as a skinny kid who is getting games. Still though, he's a rather young 18 year old and has time on his side.

Odds are it's 2 years before he's in contention for our 1sts.

Watched a bit more footage, reminds me a fair bit of Jasper Pittard in his movement and running style...lets hope he doesn't quite have as many brainfades!
Reminds me of another Hamish 'Tassie' special....

1575801727689.png

Doesn't look even close to a 3.15ms 20m sprint in that footage. Looks actually of a decent pace, quicker than your CEY 191cm types.

Hard to assess his disposal because they cut off literally every possession but his highlights were good attack on the ball, decent in the air, and a tackle.

Yeah it's interesting. I wonder if the club sees him as more of a general midfielder, who could also fill a role at HB or HF? I don't really see a winger in him at all, especially with that 3.15 20m sprint time. I mean you don't HAVE to be lightning quick to play wing, but without decent pace and/or endurance it makes it tough. As I said, would not surprise me to see this guy used in more centre square and contested stuff, rather than on the outside.

10kg is a lot to gain in one year...trust me, I know

10kg is a lot to gain in one year...trust me, I know

It's definitely pushing it, though, it's more 15 months, seeing he'd want to be 82-83 kg come round one next season if he wants to push for game time.

That said, it'd be made harder if Gollant was genuinely quick.

Bryson DeChambeau gained 30 pounds in the offseason and is hitting bombs
December 6, 2019 2:04 pm

"Tiger Woods was criticized for transforming his body midway through his career and bulking up significantly, but Bryson DeChambeau believes that following the same path with not only help his game, but also prevent injuries.

DeChambeau revealed in early October that he planned to look “like a different person” in time for the 2019-2020 PGA Tour season. A few weeks later, DeChambeau – who stands 6-foot-1 – had already bulked up from 195 pounds to 220, and hoped to reach a target weight of 230."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back