Player Watch Lachlan Gollant - Contract Extension to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryson DeChambeau gained 30 pounds in the offseason and is hitting bombs
December 6, 2019 2:04 pm

"Tiger Woods was criticized for transforming his body midway through his career and bulking up significantly, but Bryson DeChambeau believes that following the same path with not only help his game, but also prevent injuries.

DeChambeau revealed in early October that he planned to look “like a different person” in time for the 2019-2020 PGA Tour season. A few weeks later, DeChambeau – who stands 6-foot-1 – had already bulked up from 195 pounds to 220, and hoped to reach a target weight of 230."

Cardio hurts gainz and Im sure the cardio regime is very different playing AFL compared to golf.

For those of you basing your opinions on the highlights package offered by the AFC, I suggest you download the NAB league app and watch the full set of highlights from each of his games played. This offers a much better insight into this kid’s abilities and provides a good 15 minutes of viewing during the footy vacuum over Xmas.

From what I can see, his overhead contested marking is a huge strength and for a 71kg frame he does extremely well, better than McAsey in my opinion. His kicking action is awkward and a little rough, but he has the same raw potential as someone like Doedee had when Hamish selected him out of the blue. He’s also a competitive player and isn’t afraid to lay a shepherd after giving the ball off. All good attributes if he can just add 20 kilos to his frame over the next three years.

Likewise you can watch all of the highlights from McAsey and Worrell on there. FWIW, I’m not super excited about McAsey, he’s a a touch too slow for my liking and has a very Ken McGregor feel about him. Best position may be up front as a tall leading forward, as I’m worried he’ll be caught behind his opponent too often in defence. He barely makes any contest whilst defending in those highlights on the NAB app, but what he does do is roll off his player well to intercept mark.

But who knows really :laughing:

For those of you basing your opinions on the highlights package offered by the AFC, I suggest you download the NAB league app and watch the full set of highlights from each of his games played. This offers a much better insight into this kid’s abilities and provides a good 15 minutes of viewing during the footy vacuum over Xmas.

From what I can see, his overhead contested marking is a huge strength and for a 71kg frame he does extremely well, better than McAsey in my opinion. His kicking action is awkward and a little rough, but he has the same raw potential as someone like Doedee had when Hamish selected him out of the blue. He’s also a competitive player and isn’t afraid to lay a shepherd after giving the ball off. All good attributes if he can just add 20 kilos to his frame over the next three years.

Likewise you can watch all of the highlights from McAsey and Worrell on there. FWIW, I’m not super excited about McAsey, he’s a a touch too slow for my liking and has a very Ken McGregor feel about him. Best position may be up front as a tall leading forward, as I’m worried he’ll be caught behind his opponent too often in defence. He barely makes any contest whilst defending in those highlights on the NAB app, but what he does do is roll off his player well to intercept mark.

But who knows really :laughing:
Mate, Gollant is way, way more out of the blue than Doedee.

Gollant was playing school footy for St. Bedes in the Calder Cannons zone and was only invited into their program mid way through the season where a lot of the lads spend 2 or 3 years in their program once they show promise at local junior level. And he never even made the Vic Metro original squad before the final cut. The only hint there was some interest in Gollant came when he got an invite to the Victorian State Combine

Doedee was always in the Geelong Falcons program even when he was concentrating on basketball and only playing the odd game of school footy for St. Joeys one of which I witnessed against St Pats where he played as a Forward. When in his draft year he gave up the basketball dream and decided to have a serious crack at footy he played well enough in defence for the Falcons to make the Vic Country squad eventually playing all 4 National Championships game for VC and doing particularly well as a lock down defender and was ultimately invited to the AFL National Combine. He had interviews with 14 AFL clubs in the run up to the draft which would indicate there was quite a bit of interest from clubs.....he was a certainty to get drafted the only thing out of the blue was where we picked him at but given we only used 2 picks the 1st on Milera he must have been top of Hamish's list when it came to our pick though if my memory serves that was after our bid on Harrison Himmelberg was matched.?

Pick 48 is a mid third round pick, a mid range pick overall, on no level is that a late pick. If that’s a late pick, what’s 63 we used on Scholl? A really really late pick? Or how about the pick 80 odd on Atkins?

Jack Graham played in a flag after going 53. There are plenty of examples.

He’s 191 and 73kgs, unless he is going on the roids he ain’t getting to AFL playing weight for years, if at all.
This size comment has aged well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hamish might eventually have the last laugh on the little we've seen of Lachie at this juncture, some serious aerial ability and excellent footy I.Q.

I really liked what I saw of him earlier this year. Such a shame the injury came when it did as I thought he was set to really take a step forwards. Had he been injury free, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him play AFL this year. He definitely has some AFL attributes.

Is he contracted beyond this season?

Not yet, though considering how bullish we've been on him in literally every preseason report, and that he's a 0 game pick 40-50 from the 2019 draft, it should be a pretty simple deal.

Is he contracted beyond this season?
Nope but I'd be very confident he'll be re-signed after Hamish emphasised Gollant would take time after we drafted him. From what Hamish said then they really didn't expect him to play any AFL at all in 2020 but they couldn't take the chance on missing out on him the following year's draft if as they expected he elevated his prospects as an over-ager. Worth remembering he only came into the NAB League for the Calder Cannons after showing great improvement for his local footy club St. Bernards mid way through his draft year.

I reckon his AGSV grand final performance for PEGS in the AGSV Private School's comp might have been what got Hamish and his crew worried someone might pick him off in the rookie draft or they would likely have had to contend with other AFL clubs interest the following year.

I've liked what I've seen of him, as have a number of players within the club.

Would've been close to a game if not for injury (insert sub joke)

A 12 month contract extension seems like a no-brainer. Ditto O'Connor.

I'd be very tempted to demote O'Connor to the rookie list at the end of the year, just to free up another main list spot. Seems the most out of place kid we have at the moment.

A 12 month contract extension seems like a no-brainer. Ditto O'Connor.
Seems that way, but it'll depend how many picks we want in the draft.

Mackay, Strachan, Davis, Hinge.... Not sure whether Gibbs and Stengle are still on the list.

Seems that way, but it'll depend how many picks we want in the draft.

Mackay, Strachan, Davis, Hinge.... Not sure whether Gibbs and Stengle are still on the list.

Hinge should stay
Agree on the first three
Lynch should retire or be delisted
Frampton might be kept on in place of Strachan
Himmelberg should be on the trade table
We'll no doubt also lose a few in trades and FA. McAsey and Matt Crouch the most likely to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back