Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let this be the death of FAITH claims that we desperately wanted Stephens and that McAsey wasn’t our priority

Draft guru Callum Twomey takes you inside the first round of the draft
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-12-05...t-round-twists-turns-bluffs-and-the-big-calls

That to me reads we wanted either, not so much we wanted McAsey ahead of Stephens or vice versa. Technically this doesn't go against what Faith was saying. Hamish could still had a "hard on" for Stephens..

I guess the issue is they wanted either, Stephens was gone so McAsey became a priority and wasn't worth the risk of the Carlton trade.

Now if both were available...what would they have done? So I guess that would never be known.

That's my take anyway...🤷🏼‍♂️

That to me reads we wanted either, not so much we wanted McAsey ahead of Stephens or vice versa. Technically this doesn't go against what Faith was saying. Hamish could still had a "hard on" for Stephens..

I guess the issue is they wanted either, Stephens was gone so McAsey became a priority and wasn't worth the risk of the Carlton trade.

Now if both were available...what would they have done? So I guess that would never be known.

My take is we were always taking McAsey with our 1st and it's pretty much confirmed by the fact we took another quality tall prospect in Josh Worrell who we weren't expecting to be available at Pick 28. Pretty much what Hamish had said prior to the draft where Talls and mids were to be a particular focus.

McAsey looks to have the attributes of a defensive general.

People have mentioned Aaron Naughton as an example of someone who was drafted as a defender and moved forwards. If he can do it then so can McAsey. That doesn't look likely to me.

Here was Naughton's draft profile:

STRENGTHS
- Intercept marking
- Reading the play
- Mature body
- Agile - his time of 8.22 seconds in the agility test at the National AFL Draft Combine was in the top 13 per cent

Now here is McAsey's draft profile:

STRENGTHS:
- Marking
- Reading the play
- Contested work
- Versatility
- Size
- Footy IQ

IMPROVEMENTS:
- Athleticism
- Kicking composure

Naughton's agility and athleticism give him the chance to get clear of a close checking defender.

McAsey's draft profile, not so much. He won't be able to reliably get clear of his defender.

If you look at the key forwards worth having in the last 10 years, they are all agile for their size. Tredrea Kennedy Franklin Roughead Riewoldt Riewoldt, Walker pre-knee.

McAsey's draft profile reads like a Phil Davis, Daniel Talia, Ben Rutten defensive general. I would say we have drafted him as the long term Daniel Talia replacement.

My take is we were always taking McAsey with our 1st and it's pretty much confirmed by the fact we took another quality tall prospect in Josh Worrell who we weren't expecting to be available at Pick 28. Pretty much what Hamish had said prior to the draft where Talls and mids were to be a particular focus.

I can understand your point, but that article alone does not constitute clear evidence as the post I quoted was inferring...

Huh?

Pretty sure hamish or Reid said around the time of the pick swap or possibly even after the draft that there were 4 guys after the obvious first 2 that they rated by trading to pick 6 at a minimum there was one of those who would be left.
By trading we did not have 1 guy selected.

Pretty sure hamish or Reid said around the time of the pick swap or possibly even after the draft that there were 4 guys after the obvious first 2 that they rated by trading to pick 6 at a minimum there was one of those who would be left.
By trading we did not have 1 guy selected.
They would say that though, imagine if they said there is one guy and GWS or Sydney took him? They’d look like idiots.

The only player they knew GWS and Sydney were no chance of taking was McAsey. They could afford to go back and get him.

They would say that though, imagine if they said there is one guy and GWS or Sydney took him? They’d look like idiots.

The only player they knew GWS and Sydney were no chance of taking was McAsey. They could afford to go back and get him.
I think they’d only know who GWS was taking due to an agreement with the pick swap. If you want to guarantee a pick because you have that much of a hard one for them you don’t do the swap.

I think they’d only know who GWS was taking due to an agreement with the pick swap. If you want to guarantee a pick because you have that much of a hard one for them you don’t do the swap.
They would have believed Swans were taking a midfielder, just like we were prepared to drop back further to 9, they knew Freo weren’t taking a KPD.

They would have believed Swans were taking a midfielder, just like we were prepared to drop back further to 9, they knew Freo weren’t taking a KPD.
Not sure why they would be sure Sydney didn’t want him with Grundy retiring.
I thought he said they were worried about freo taking him in his interview after?

I thought he said they were worried about freo taking him in his interview after?
If they were worried they wouldn’t have done the trade which they didn’t. No such issue going back to 6.

I think the freo worry was more then concern of them trading with Geelong who may have moved up to grab him.

live trading makes sliding back too far more of a risk as there’s a lot more variables

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were worried they wouldn’t have done the trade which they didn’t. No such issue going back to 6.
That’s my point. They were clearly happy to get 1 of the 4 that were going to be left. What if Geelong came in with a big offer for Sydney’s 5?
We may well have known who they were taking but as Tex danger said below, there are more variables with live trading.

That’s my point. They were clearly happy to get 1 of the 4 that were going to be left. What if Geelong came in with a big offer for Sydney’s 5?
We may well have known who they were taking but as Tex danger said below, there are more variables with live trading.
To get pick 5 was going to have to be a very big offer, maybe they knew it wasn’t going to happen

Kinnear Beatson gave a pretty big hint Dylan Stephens was right in Sydney's wheelhouse with his comment the day before when he was asked if they were going to bid on Tom Green. His answer was along the lines he didn't think they were likely to bid on Green as they might like a "different" type of midfielder to Green i.e a balanced mid [Stephens,Flanders] not an inside bull mid.

That’s my take too. Pretty much a toss of the coin if both were still on the table but we chose to forego the choice in favour of an extra 2020 first rounder.

McAsey looks to have the attributes of a defensive general.

People have mentioned Aaron Naughton as an example of someone who was drafted as a defender and moved forwards. If he can do it then so can McAsey. That doesn't look likely to me.

Here was Naughton's draft profile:

STRENGTHS
- Intercept marking
- Reading the play
- Mature body
- Agile - his time of 8.22 seconds in the agility test at the National AFL Draft Combine was in the top 13 per cent

Now here is McAsey's draft profile:

STRENGTHS:
- Marking
- Reading the play
- Contested work
- Versatility
- Size
- Footy IQ

IMPROVEMENTS:
- Athleticism
- Kicking composure

Naughton's agility and athleticism give him the chance to get clear of a close checking defender.

McAsey's draft profile, not so much. He won't be able to reliably get clear of his defender.

If you look at the key forwards worth having in the last 10 years, they are all agile for their size. Tredrea Kennedy Franklin Roughead Riewoldt Riewoldt, Walker pre-knee.

McAsey's draft profile reads like a Phil Davis, Daniel Talia, Ben Rutten defensive general. I would say we have drafted him as the long term Daniel Talia replacement.
Jono Brown, Lloyd, Hall, Pav, Hawkins, Lynch, Ben Brown,...just as many non-agile KPFs too

Jono Brown, Lloyd, Hall, Pav, Hawkins, Lynch, Ben Brown,...just as many non-agile KPFs too
Hawkins and Ben Brown I agree. I don’t think they are as good as the more agile key forwards I listed but still good quality key forwards. I assume you would be content if McAsey turns out about as good as either of them?

Pav could play midfield! He went okay. Think you are underrating Lloyd, Hall and Lynch there too, at least until their latter years where they became older and slower.

Jon Brown, if we are going that far back we can include Daniel Bradshaw and Alistair Lynch as well. The behemoth key forward was a lot more common in those days.

I think extra numbers back and more expectation of forward pressure makes it a lot harder these days.

Hawkins and Ben Brown I agree. I don’t think they are as good as the more agile key forwards I listed but still good quality key forwards. I assume you would be content if McAsey turns out about as good as either of them?

Pav could play midfield! He went okay. Think you are underrating Lloyd, Hall and Lynch there too, at least until their latter years where they became older and slower.

Jon Brown, if we are going that far back we can include Daniel Bradshaw and Alistair Lynch as well. The behemoth key forward was a lot more common in those days.

I think extra numbers back and more expectation of forward pressure makes it a lot harder these days.
I was talking about Tom Lynch now at Richmond.

Pav played mid because he was good at playing football, not because he was agile.

You are the one who mentioned Tredrea, so I went with Jono Brown. Don't blame me for going too far back.

Carey...again, not overly agile.

I think this means that agility is a bonus for a KPF, not a prerequisite. I'd take contested marking over agility for a KPF - Wasn't that what everyone here has been complaining about for the last 2 years?

Back