Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit, this has caught me off-guard. Thought there might have been something in the rumours surrounding Fischer, although that could be a reflex, based on how I've been burnt before by some of our young guys (Gunston, Lever, Gov etc)

That said, VERY happy about this. Would love to see him succeed, and I think once he develops into his body, he has a great shot at doing so

I think what we've seen is the BF posters are still very traumatized by regimes of yesteryear and they believe the worst even when its spread from nothing but BF thread hearsay and opinion based on past lost players.

When in reality it seems evident that there is a lot less information being leaked from this regime. Re-signings are seemingly coming from left field over and over!

People shouldnt live in the past. Its very positive to see player after player signing on at the club. Makes me think the people with the most information and qualifications - the people at the club - think the club is going in the right direction and they are happy.

Do you watch much SANFL? If you do, what do you say his strengths have been?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've seen every match this year so far. He is very strong at reading the play and getting in the right positions, and his marking is quite good. Getting better at the 1-on-1 defensive stuff too. His main issue is disposal which is very much like Daniel Talia

People shouldnt live in the past. Its very positive to see player after player signing on at the club. Makes me think the people with the most information and qualifications - the people at the club - think the club is going in the right direction and they are happy.
I 100% agree. It infuriates me when I see people in BF or the media claim how losing players like Phil Davis and Jack Gunston is in anyway a valid indication of us not keeping player X or player Y.

Those 2 players played under Neil Craig, that was 5 head coaches and god knows how many football department staff ago...

I certainly wouldnt have put my house on him staying.. and must say I’m pleasantly surprised.

hes been playing some good footy in the sanfl in recent weeks to..

we beed another tall key defender this week.. get him in.

worrell for hamill
Mcasey for mcpherson
+1

Particularly as GWS will likely go very tall with Hogan, Finlayson and Himmelberg (Riccardi out I'm assuming)

I 100% agree. It infuriates me when I see people in BF or the media claim how losing players like Phil Davis and Jack Gunston is a valid reason to believe we won't keep player X or player Y.

Those 2 players played under Neil Craig, that was 5 head coaches and god knows how many in house staff ago...

Both are near retirement haha!! I didnt mind Davis decision. Gunston was a twat though. Some people struggle to let go, kind of like how some people think every girlfriend must be cheating on them because when they were 14 their girlfriend at school kissed another guy behind the shed...

I've seen every match this year so far. He is very strong at reading the play and getting in the right positions, and his marking is quite good. Getting better at the 1-on-1 defensive stuff too. His main issue is disposal which is very much like Daniel Talia
Watching his highlights from 2020 he was definitely able to get into the right spots and showed that at the top level but I noticed the games he played in that period was when we were going bad. His only 10 games have all been losses, bit surprised we didn't play him late 2020 when our form turned around just to give him more confidence.

Do you think his disposal is real bad at the moment or would you back him to improve that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching his highlights from 2020 he was definitely able to get into the right spots and showed that at the top level but I noticed the games he played in that period was when we were going bad. His only 10 games have all been losses, bit surprised we didn't play him late 2020 when our form turned around just to give him more confidence.

Do you think his disposal is real bad at the moment or would you back him to improve that?

He doesn't have bad disposal and doesn't suffer from Hartigan's woeful decision making. I don't know if it will improve but the best I can say is it's a carbon copy of how Talia kicks in every way. You wouldn't want him attempting to laser a 50m pass into the corridor

Surprised but happy to hear this. Was clearly not ready to play last year, other year and he would have played SANFL all year.

Glad to get this one out the way to avoid another 6 months of speculation in the media.

He doesn't have bad disposal and doesn't suffer from Hartigan's woeful decision making. I don't know if it will improve but the best I can say is it's a carbon copy of how Talia kicks in every way
That is definitely a plus then, don't want another Hartigan, lets hope that he can touch up his disposal then. I mean Talia in his career has been judged on his shut down ability and it has gained him 2 All Australian selections but definitely would be nice to have a defender with good disposal.

So all of Butts, Worrell and McAsey resigned and surely we retain Murray after this year seeing he has exceeded all expectations. Pretty solid effort by the end of April.

It does beg the question of are we preparing for a life without Talia sooner, rather than later?

Well I was wrong, and Roo was right.

Thought he was going to be another Gunston, especially considering the club never seem to wheel him out for media oops.

Wonder if this turns the player retention blow torch over to a few other clubs with unsigned 1st rounders from 2019. Few interesting names on that list as well.

D.Stephens (Syd), T. Green (GWS), S.Flanders (GCS), W.Day (Haw), C.Weightman (WB), C. Stephens (Geel), B. Kemp (Carl), T.Dow (Rich)

Back