Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

KPDs take time to develop. Talia spent bloody ages in the SANFL before getting to step up. I wouldn't be writing McAsey off just yet.
Correct. Talia spent almost two seasons in the SANFL before debuting in round 15, 2011. McAsey was thrown into the deep end last year, but is lining up for just his 5th SANFL game in 27 minutes time.

If McAsey didn't sign on, no one here would expect a top 10 pick in return for him (he was pick 6), no one would expect even a first round pick for him. We would expect a 2nd rounder (some pessimists not even that).

Dylan Stephens (pick 4) has shown even less, yet I get the feeling many would think a 2nd rounder isn't enough for him.

If it was us with McAsey we'd just have to accept it.

Interesting.

If McAsey didn't sign on, no one here would expect a top 10 pick in return for him (he was pick 6), no one would expect even a first round pick for him. We would expect a 2nd rounder (some pessimists not even that).

Dylan Stephens (pick 4) has shown even less, yet I get the feeling many would think a 2nd rounder isn't enough for him.

Interesting.
No, a second is perfectly fair for Stephens.

I would hope we'd get him for the Melbourne pick, and Jordan Dawson for our 2022 second.

Interesting.
not sure, I think a few of the sydney fans on their board might be thinking get what they can if he wants out.

Me personally, I would like to somehow use that Melbourne 2nd and maybe a future 3rd if we could to grab him if we are after him and he chooses to leave and nominate us. That way we hopefully get the top end mid with our 1st pick and maybe...fingers crossed..Arlo draper with our 2nd..but that might be pie in the sky stuff re draper. Roberts, Draper and Stephens coming in would represent a great get if that was at all on the cards...(pinches himself as he wakes up)

not sure, I think a few of the sydney fans on their board might be thinking get what they can if he wants out.

Me personally, I would like to somehow use that Melbourne 2nd and maybe a future 3rd if we could to grab him if we are after him and he chooses to leave and nominate us. That way we hopefully get the top end mid with our 1st pick and maybe...fingers crossed..Arlo draper with our 2nd..but that might be pie in the sky stuff re draper. Roberts, Draper and Stephens coming in would represent a great get if that was at all on the cards...(pinches himself as he wakes up)

Oooh baby!!

We are going to pull the trigger on a high end mid this draft, if we get Stephens in the same off season it starts to come together.

I'm so big on moving our 2022 first rounder into this year.

Add Pedlar, Stephens and 2x '21 first round mids into our team and I'm fine with no first in '22.

Oooh baby!!

We are going to pull the trigger on a high end mid this draft, if we get Stephens in the same off season it starts to come together.

Add Pedlar, Stephens and 2x '21 first round mids into our team and I'm fine with no first in '22.
I disagree with moving the 2022 first to this year as I want that for a crack at Rankine or Lukosius when they fall out of contract at the end of next season (assuming they don't sign on). I hope that something along those lines might be on the cards and would want to make damn sure we have the draft capital to make it happen

Oooh baby!!

I’d only move our 2022 first to North for their pick 1 for some Horne time.

I disagree with moving the 2022 first to this year as I want that for a crack at Rankine or Lukosius when they fall out of contract at the end of next season (assuming they don't sign on). I hope that something along those lines might be on the cards and would want to make damn sure we have the draft capital to make it happen

I'd rather prioritise the midfield, but that's just me.

I'd rather prioritise the midfield, but that's just me.
In this case I think we can do both as we still get a likely top 5 pick come seasons end and will have a decent 2nd to invest and if Stephens is gained in a trade that is 3 guys to add to the midfield. Rankine in my eyes has always had the potential to be the next Andy Mcleod skillwise..he just needs to ask himself how much he wants it. His ceiling is so high. I would have him or Lukosius here in a heartbeat

This kid was thrown in the deep end last year, without any senior footy under his belt.
He was mostly terrible at AFL last year, with harsh assessments - myself included.
Covid year - no reserves etc.... so moving on....
This year, watching all SANFL games, he is showing improvement. (Not withstanding the bias umpire decisions). Much the same as Doedee and Butts did IMO, so I just wanted to say, keep improving boy!
Not sure if pick 6 would be worth it, but it doesn't matter now; a new 2 year, I wanted to try to be positive and bring attention to signs of improvement on a 20 yo kid, which frankly is what we want to see now.

This kid was thrown in the deep end last year, without any senior footy under his belt.
He was mostly terrible at AFL last year, with harsh assessments - myself included.
This year, watching all SANFL games, he is showing improvement. (Not withstanding the bias umpire decisions). Much the same as Doedee and Butts did IMO, so I just wanted to say, keep improving boy!
Not sure if pick 6 would be worth it, but it doesn't matter now; a new 2 year, I wanted to try to be positive and bring attention to signs of improvement on a 20 yo kid, which frankly is what we want to see now.

Last year was a shocker for developing a first round KPD selection...

It's too early to make a call either way with McAsey

How many AFL games had Talia played by Round 12 in his Draft + 2 year after being a first round pick? 0
How many AFL games had Doedee played by Round 12 in his Draft + 2 year after being a first round pick? 0

High quality AFL defenders can still take some time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is getting better after looking like he was not interested in playing in the trial games and early part of the year. He is a very good ball user and composed when gets the agate. He just needs to stronger when in the contest. He still gets too many goals kicked on him each week by failing to spoil when it is a high ball. He needs to be tried again at th higher level because he would put a little more balance into our backline in terms of height and good users of the ball.

why do we need the draft capital?.. if Rankine (or alternatively, luko) doesnt re-sign next year and asks to be traded to the crows.. then the suns can only ask us for what we have available..

if we have our 2022 pick 1.. they will ask us for that and our 2023 pick 1.. but... if we havent got our 2022 pick 1 because we traded it into 2021 then we say “sorry... we can only give you a 2nd rounder and our 2023 1st...”

once the player has made up their mind which club they are going to the club they are moving from can only ask for what the new club has.. and they cant go “oh.. were not gonna trade with you because you havent got enough draft capital”.. the only other option for them is to take nothing and send the player to the PSD which would be silly.

the player ultimately says what club they want to go to and thats it.. those two clubs then need to nut out the deal with whatever the receiving club has to trade with..

i’m all for trading our 2022 1st rounder on draft night into this year if there is something promising on the board ripe for the picking..

Took an excellent mark in the forward line and laid a big tackle on Dixon (who is a beast to tackle) showed he has something. Pick 6 might be too high but he was clearly our target so we traded down and also got pick 9 (Pedlar).

why do we need the draft capital?.. if Rankine (or alternatively, luko) doesnt re-sign next year and asks to be traded to the crows.. then the suns can only ask us for what we have available..

if we have our 2022 pick 1.. they will ask us for that and our 2023 pick 1.. but... if we havent got our 2022 pick 1 because we traded it into 2021 then we say “sorry... we can only give you a 2nd rounder and our 2023 1st...”

once the player has made up their mind which club they are going to the club they are moving from can only ask for what the new club has.. and they cant go “oh.. were not gonna trade with you because you havent got enough draft capital”.. the only other option for them is to take nothing and send the player to the PSD which would be silly.

the player ultimately says what club they want to go to and thats it.. those two clubs then need to nut out the deal with whatever the receiving club has to trade with..

i’m all for trading our 2022 1st rounder on draft night into this year if there is something promising on the board ripe for the picking..

Also, I think the '22 first rounder needs to be used on a mid, not Lukosius or Rankine.

Whether we select a mid in '22 or move it to '21 and get that mid in earlier should be the question.

Very solid point here..

If we go after a Suns player, screw the Suns, offer them a bare minimum, that's what they have always done to us
There are 3 there we should put big contracts in front of at the end of this year for them to consider next year with an eye to snaring 1 or maybe 2 at the end of 2022. Rankine, lukosius and hollands

There are 3 there we should put big contracts in front of at the end of this year for them to consider next year with an eye to snaring 1 or maybe 2 at the end of 2022. Rankine, lukosius and hollands
Holland's?

Yet to kick a ball in any comp yet since the draft.

If Rankine and or Luko nominate us and GC get pushed into the corner with a below value pick or lose them to the draft, maybe we won't need a super early 1st rounder. Could an early 2022 1st be turned into 2 later firsts?

Back