List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospect Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Call in the Priest mate I might need an excorcist. :oops:
Then shower yourself using a cheese grater & caustic soda.

When you hit bone you may've redeemed yourself!

Nope. They count towards TPP as nominated (and contracted). If they did spread the payments over a longer term, the club wouldn’t get a double hit, but the player should get a new manager!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldn't need a new manager if its pre-arranged between yourself and the club beforehand. Straight after drafting Luke Ball, we extended his contract. Its pretty obvious that it had been organised beforehand to stop other clubs from taking him and that his nominated salary wasn't real. By the sounds of it, it would still be a feasible option for a club with salary cap space.

While we have many talented forward options at our disposal how many of them can we honestly say work just as hard defensively as they do when they sniff a goal opportunity?

Ideally we can find improvement in this area with the players we already possess but a genuine forward crumber or two who has some speed, skill and strong desire to tackle is still a need moving forward.

Richmond seem to have no trouble identifying players possessing these traits to the point they have to many of them.

Bastards.

While we have many talented forward options at our disposal how many of them can we honestly say work just as hard defensively as they do when they sniff a goal opportunity?

Ideally we can find improvement in this area with the players we already possess but a genuine forward crumber or two who has some speed, skill and strong desire to tackle is still a need moving forward.

Richmond seem to have no trouble identifying players possessing these traits to the point they have to many of them.

Bastards.
I actually think it's system and structure more than personnel. The tigers dont commit as many to aerial contests, are more disciplined in terms of bringing it to ground when a mark is unlikely and get more troops to the fall of the ball inside forward 50 than other teams. The Hawks used to be the same and probably are still, but i haven't been watching them as closely.

There's only one player I want at 35, Kyasiah Pickett.... Will be a ripper!

Hope he isn't linked to an academy or F/S!

There's only one player I want at 35, Kyasiah Pickett.... Will be a ripper!

Hope he isn't linked to an academy or F/S!
Don't think he is.

Just read an article that we were one of the 5 clubs that had approached and talked to him back in June

I'd be looking to do a deal with GWS for Pick 6.

A bid will come for their academy player Tom Green before 6.

Would take Lachlan Ash if he is available.
Line breaking speed please.

GWS are looking to move further up, not down - I reckon they'd be speaking with Melbourne or Adelaide to make that happen.

I guess we could get in their ear as a "just in case", but we don't have much to offer them in terms of picks coming back their way to match a bid on Green this year so I reckon they'd be more looking someone like Port, Geelong or maybe even Gold Coast if they were going to move back in the draft order.

I just had a look at the draft order (refer below) and it seems Carlton does not have a second round pick.

Although I think he is a bit flaky he is the type of player our team needs...…….….thoughts on picking up Jack Martin at 35?

If he's keen on getting to Carlton then he wont nominate for the ND and go straight to the PSD.

Melbourne can't afford him with his reported $700k per year wage demands so he'll end up at Carlton at pick 3 in the PSD.

Club wants Josh Worrell.

Certainly a key position player, which is what we need. Rangy athletic type who can play both ends. Would need to trade next years first rounder to get into the 12-20 range where he will likely fall. Might be a live trading option on the draft night.

GWS are looking to move further up, not down - I reckon they'd be speaking with Melbourne or Adelaide to make that happen.

I guess we could get in their ear as a "just in case", but we don't have much to offer them in terms of picks coming back their way to match a bid on Green this year so I reckon they'd be more looking someone like Port, Geelong or maybe even Gold Coast if they were going to move back in the draft order.
Yep no chance of dealing with GWS, they want to team Green with another top end pick, not bank points or picks for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I will play along......what is his salary and in turn our cap space?
Reports have him close to the same as he was at GC, which is $600k. In terms of our cap space we could probably fit him in but it would compromise our ability to re-sign Moore/Grundy/JDG so yeah, we can’t afford it.

Reports have him close to the same as he was at GC, which is $600k. In terms of our cap space we could probably fit him in but it would compromise our ability to re-sign Moore/Grundy/JDG so yeah, we can’t afford it.

I would be staggered if SOS is paying this bloke $600,000.

Suck s**t Carlton...……..now follow through Cochrane.

Hard bargain for Martin: Suns talk tough but Blues still confident
Michael Gleeson October 17, 2019

Carlton will try to secure Jack Martin for nothing in the pre-season draft rather than the national draft if another creative arrangement cannot be devised to land the player beforehand.

But Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane declared the Suns were "absolutely" prepared to re-draft Martin in the pre-season if they can't persuade him to extend before then.
Cochrane said the decision to take a stand on Martin in the trade period proved the Suns had become a stronger and better club.

The Suns will try to persuade Martin to remain at the club after a deal to get him to Carlton – the club the uncontracted player had asked to be traded to - failed in the trade period.

“We wanted to send a strong message that we are not the club we were. We have changed and in line with that we have made a strong and bold statement,” Cochrane said.

The Suns will try to persuade Martin to remain at the club after a deal to get him to Carlton – the club the uncontracted player had asked to be traded to - failed in the trade period.

“We had said all along that if we could not get a first round draft pick involved for Jack Martin we would pass,” Cochrane said.

“Firstly, we didn’t want Jack Martin to go. We will use the next month to make our case again to Jack to stay.

“Carlton for all of their talk about what a great player he is and how much they could pay him, the best they could say he was worth was a second round draft pick. Their actions didn’t live up to their words.

“Any transaction requires a buyer and a seller to be happy or a deal doesn’t happen, and this didn’t happen.”

Carlton could encourage Martin to nominate for the pre-season draft, with contract terms on his head and hope that Gold Coast and Melbourne do not select him before them. Any player taken in the draft must be contracted for two years and nominated contract terms must be for two seasons.

Luke Ball moved to Collingwood from St Kilda through the national draft, not the pre-season draft, by employing a similar strategy – putting hefty contract terms on his head to dissuade others from selecting him.

That ploy would be highly unlikely to succeed for Martin in the national draft as Carlton has pick nine, which is too early for them to take Martin, and currently they do not have another pick until 43. Another club would likely take Martin before then, regardless of his contract terms.

“It’s his prerogative to consider drafts if we can’t re-sign him. Carlton are going to have to come up with some way of getting him because Gold Coast has the first pick in the pre-season draft, but there is also another club who have a pick before Carlton in that draft,” Cochrane said.

“We will absolutely look at re-drafting him if it comes to that. One of the core reasons we didn’t trade him was we still want him here.”

Clubs can continue to trade draft picks right up to the draft and on draft night.

Gold Coast and Carlton will continue to discuss options for trading picks.

The Suns have said they are prepared to move money around from other players and they have sufficient salary cap space that they would draft Martin back in the pre-season draft, even if he nominated high contract terms.

They could also try to re-contract Martin for one season after which he becomes a free agent and they would get compensation if he were to leave as a free agent at the end of next year.

Depending on the size of the contract Carlton offered him, the free agency compensation would likely be an end of first round pick or earlier.

During the trade period Carlton offered their future second and third round draft picks for Martin, a proposal Gold Coast rejected.

The Suns believed those picks were of little value to them given they have an additional pick at 11 already in next year’s draft.

The Suns proposed giving Martin and pick 15 to Carlton for the Blues' pick nine, an arrangement Carlton rejected. There was also talk of a possible future pick from the Blues.

Gold Coast also suggested swapping pick nine this year for the Suns' compensation pick in next year’s draft at pick 11 for Martin.
Carlton believed the early picks in next year’s draft would be heavily compromised because of the number of highly talented academy, next generation and father-son players, who will be bid for and taken out of the draft pool.

Wouldn't need a new manager if its pre-arranged between yourself and the club beforehand. Straight after drafting Luke Ball, we extended his contract. Its pretty obvious that it had been organised beforehand to stop other clubs from taking him and that his nominated salary wasn't real. By the sounds of it, it would still be a feasible option for a club with salary cap space.
Cmon now, I am sure that Ball extension on low dollars was just something that occurred to them well after he signed on. Shame on you for thinking otherwise. ;) My new manager line was just a gag about extending out the term without paying extra dollars, just spreading them over a further year.

Snoop Dog Pie 4 Life Knightmare

Folks whilst strictly not this season it now appears a fait accompli that Reef McInnes will be Collingwood bound end of 2020.

Where do you think he’ll be bid on and where do you see him in the scheme of things?

Mid?
Forward?
Elsewhere?

And who else next year do we have dibs on that looks a serious prospect?
He's a first round pick for sure. Inside mid is his best position, but can play forward or back. He's pretty versatile, and showed that during the finals series playing out of defence, but he's got that big body like a Bontempelli type who runs a sub-three second 20m. He just needs to improve his endurance and he is going to be pretty good. Like most inside mids, he can be a bit hit and miss with kicking at times, but athletically he's very impressive with his burst from a stoppage.

Pretty much the year after it's Youseph Dib and Nick Daicos. Dib an U16 AA player - hard nut, touch of class and has the Isaac Quaynor look in terms of the afro and running ability, loves to tackle. Daicos is well, Daicos. He's been rated as one of the elite talents for a few years now, if he can live up to it, he could well be in that top 10/first round frame the year after.

Any thoughts on Worrell Pie 4 Life? Looks pretty handy to me. Tall, good pace/closing speed... looks like Bont when he kicks.
Yeah he's a talent who unfortunately has just had his injuries. He's got high upside, but he's in consideration with a top 10 pick. Doesn't mean he will go there, but a club is considering it, and we'd have to get a top half first rounder to be likely in with a guarantee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back