List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospect Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What if we traded next years first round to Geelong for their picks 24 and 36?, that would give us 24, 35. 36.62 and 74 in this years draft which would mean we won't need next years first round to use on Reef and allow us to go into this years with a lot more confidence and the chance of getting some quality talent into the side. Thoughts Scodog10

I’m probably not the one to answer because my draft knowledge is limited, but what I can say is that from a list management perspective it’s a tick. We’ve got an ageing list (not old) with limited high end talent underneath so I would like us to have half a dozen picks inside the first 2 rounds over the next two drafts.

I don’t mind that idea. However, Scodog10 had a great idea, which I think might be the one our recruiting team use.

Let’s assume Reef is a top 10 talent Next year.

We keep our 2020 first. We trade out our 2021 first round pick for another 2020 first.

Bundle both our picks and move above the “Reef bid”.

Ie we get 2 top 10 talents next year.

I don’t think it was me that suggested it because I wouldn’t do that trade.

Depending on the circumstances and cost I’m all for moving up the draft to get a selection before Reef’s bid, but I wouldn’t use the 2021 1st.

With both Daicos and Dib live chances in that draft we may well need 2000+ draft points which will be hard to do if we traded that pick. There is the option of going into surplus, but that doesn’t appeal to me.

I’m probably not the one to answer because my draft knowledge is limited, but what I can say is that from a list management perspective it’s a tick. We’ve got an ageing list (not old) with limited high end talent underneath so I would like us to have half a dozen picks inside the first 2 rounds over the next two drafts.

I don’t think it was me that suggested it because I wouldn’t do that trade.

Depending on the circumstances and cost I’m all for moving up the draft to get a selection before Reef’s bid, but I wouldn’t use the 2021 1st.

With both Daicos and Dib live chances in that draft we may well need 2000+ draft points which will be hard to do if we traded that pick. There is the option of going into surplus, but that doesn’t appeal to me.

Hmm, I must have misunderstood. But I doubt we would be able to move up, unless we traded one of our superstars or 2021 1st rounder.

Hmm, I must have misunderstood. But I doubt we would be able to move up, unless we traded one of our superstars or 2021 1st rounder.

There’s plenty of ways we can do it. WHE for a 2nd, Cox and a 3rd for a 2nd, Phillips for a late 1st, Langdon for a 2nd (if Murphy and Shaz come on) etc. all of which can be used to move up the draft before we consider releasing a key player. Too much water to go under the bridge for us to discuss it now though, IMO.

Ben Sokol has a meeting with the pies tomorrow FYI. Take of that what you'd like...

Seems a reasonable mature aged pick but a small forward. I guess we are going to rely on DeGoey and Stepho moving up the ground so it’s not the worst call.

Medium forward who plays a lot taller than he is. Probably the best mark of the state leagues.

Yeah he sounds alright. 6 goals and best on in WAFL grand final this year (Subiaco won by 96 points). Still only 23yo too. Don’t mind going down this path at 35 plus this year; whilst we are in the window.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Heads up Soups about Sokol please for the layman.
He’s put together 3 very good years in the WAFL with 150 odd goals. Good tank and great hands. I think a lot of people are going to ask the question why do we really need him? but I think he adds more fire power to the forward line imo and that’s never a bad thing.

He’s put together 3 very good years in the WAFL with 150 odd goals. Good tank and great hands. I think a lot of people are going to ask the question why do we really need him? but I think he adds more fire power to the forward line imo and that’s never a bad thing.

Gives us flexibility to move De Goey or Stephenson up the ground. More grunt and class in midfield (De Goey) more pace on a wing (Stephenson) is appealing. Also good to have goal kickers in the VFL if that's where Sokol cuts his teeth (assuming we draft him). Imagine Riccardi and Sokol, gives us some productive forwards putting pressure on our incumbents.

Gives us flexibility to move De Goey or Stephenson up the ground. More grunt and class in midfield (De Goey) more pace on a wing (Stephenson) is appealing. Also good to have goal kickers in the VFL if that's where Sokol cuts his teeth (assuming we draft him). Imagine Riccardi and Sokol, gives us some productive forwards putting pressure on our incumbents.
Agreed. Pretty much my ideal draft scenario this year. A lot won’t like it but I think it’s a smart move, if it comes off.

50 goals a season?

Just draft him........I am sold.

We have to have a strong VFL team if we want to win Premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the sound of Sokol. Hopefully we can get both Sokol and Riccardi

Have you dropped off the Greek Georgiades already Re?

How many hand outs are Suns going to get, just fold them already

I'm probably in the minority but I honestly think the turnaround the Lions have made in the last 2 years is the best thing that could've possibly happened for the Suns.

Players will be more likely to stay, players will be more likely to go there (Ellis, Greenwood as a starting point) knowing that things could change fairly easily.

I think once King/Lukosius/Rankine hit their 4th years (if they all stay) and Rowell/Anderson hit their 3rd year's, they have potential to be a really, really good side.

Just depends - for those that do leave - if they can constantly turn their elite departing talent into older experienced guys (think GWS trading Taylor Adams into Heath Shaw) or draft picks to start the cycle again (think Adam Treloar).

Apologies if this has already been shared
Thanks for this

The kid I heard we were really keen on trading up to get is listed in that phantom draft at pick 8

I suspect our chances of getting him are non-existent

I’ve finally decided on which players I’d like us to take this year.

My first preference is Will Gould, but we have next to no chance to drafting him.

Jake Riccardi - 195 - KPF
Harrison Jones - 195 - KPF
Trent Rivers - 188 - inside Mid
Jeremy Sharp - 189 - outside mid
Jay Rantall - 184 - HFF

Josh May - 198 - Winger
Cooper Sharman - 192 - KPF
Sam Philip - 185 - Inside Mid

The 3 boys towards the end may be available at our later picks. However, the other blokes (bloke) would have to be taken with our second round pick.

Harrison Jones & Josh May are the players I’d choose. I suspect Riccardi will be fine by our pick. Hoping a few slide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back