List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospect Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished listening to this weeks Road to the Draft podcast which featured one of the Suns recruiting guys. I think their pick 19 or 20 (which is likely to be first pick of draft day 2) would be gettable.

I remember last year they came at WC overnight with a pick swap that landed them McLennan for the first pick of day 2. I wonder if we might target that pick (after day 1) if our main target is still on the board.

If they rate that talent as a first rounder I wonder if we’d trade our future 1st for 20. Or pick 35 and one of our future 2nds for 2019 pick 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jok could definitely make it as a defender

We have moved on from defenders with poor foot skills. Brown, Frost, Williams, Marsh, Toovey. I don't think we want to go back to that. Jok's footskills aren't up to it.

Gould slides, IMO. Weighing in at 106kg at the combine is not going to reflect well on him.

It’s never impacted American sport?

I wish we'd punted on Pav back in the day.

Just finished listening to this weeks Road to the Draft podcast which featured one of the Suns recruiting guys. I think their pick 19 or 20 (which is likely to be first pick of draft day 2) would be gettable.

I remember last year they came at WC overnight with a pick swap that landed them McLennan for the first pick of day 2. I wonder if we might target that pick (after day 1) if our main target is still on the board.

If they rate that talent as a first rounder I wonder if we’d trade our future 1st for 20. Or pick 35 and one of our future 2nds for 2019 pick 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have been thinking about that pick too... Suns have an Academy kid (Budarick?) who I think they'll probably want to take, but no later picks that are worth anything. If we could turn our future first and a pick from this year in to 20 and a future 2nd or 3rd it could work out well for both teams.

106kgs will probably turn a lot of clubs off this kid, but mark my words he’ll be a gun. He’ll be down under 100kgs in 1 pre-season and be a battering ram. Hope we trade up to get him if he’s still there mid first.

I feel like bigger blokes like him are potentially seen as having peaked early. Sometimes that view is true (Schache) whilst sometimes it's not (Worpel).

The draft is way too long away. Who cares about exams etc!

106kgs will probably turn a lot of clubs off this kid, but mark my words he’ll be a gun. He’ll be down under 100kgs in 1 pre-season and be a battering ram. Hope we trade up to get him if he’s still there mid first.

Even when we are Desperate for KPF Prospects

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like bigger blokes like him are potentially seen as having peaked early. Sometimes that view is true (Schache) whilst sometimes it's not (Worpel).

Agreed, let’s get on with it! Do it on the day of the last exam. Hate Can’t wait to see who we get with our existing picks or do we do a little live trading. Bring it on

I really rate high level of SANFL performance late in the season. Was why I Rozee so high last year. Gould’s production is similar. While two different players they can have the same impact next year, especially in our side. I’m all for taking a kid that is developed ready to go. But more than likely I doubt it happens this year.

Even when we are Desperate for KPF Prospects
If we are trading up, I see going after a key forward in this draft as a major risk. There’s no one worth trading up for that’s going to make us a better side. Gould is big enough to play CHB imo, could be the key to sending Moore forward if needs be.

Look at getting Riccardi to develop and I think we walk away from the draft in a good place. But that’s very wishful thinking on my behalf.

If we are trading up, I see going after a key forward in this draft as a major risk. There’s no one worth trading up for that’s going to make us a better side. Gould is big enough to play CHB imo, could be the key to sending Moore forward if needs be.

Look at getting Riccardi to develop and I think we walk away from the draft in a good place. But that’s very wishful thinking on my behalf.

How high do you expect Gould to go? In terms of production he’s top 5 in this draft and he has AFL traits, but boy I’d be nervous investing a top 20 pick on him. He’s small for a KPP, endurance will be a big Q and professionalism too, but all he needs is another inch and most of those worries disappear. The vibe I’m getting is very boom or bust where it either translates completely or he’s simply a manchild. If I’m a recruiter there’s about 3-4 clubs I’d feel comfortable working for and taking him that early (us, Geelong and Richmond).

It's too small imo. It's hard to make it at that height.
It's taller than Caleb Daniel. The issue with height is often really an issue with weight and strength. If you think he's going to be able to stick a tackle and won't be pushed over too easily at AFL level, I wouldn't worry too much about his height.

How high do you expect Gould to go? In terms of production he’s top 5 in this draft and he has AFL traits, but boy I’d be nervous investing a top 20 pick on him. He’s small for a KPP, endurance will be a big Q and professionalism too, but all he needs is another inch and most of those worries disappear. The vibe I’m getting is very boom or bust where it either translates completely or he’s simply a manchild.
I agree he’s top 5 talent but I don’t think he goes top 10, maybe 12-25. He’s the kid in the draft that has the most question marks on him so that’s probably why he slides. But geez his SANFL form for mine is too hard to ignore. Top 10 would be nervy investing but anything above would be worth it imo.

FWIW I wouldn’t read into his testing too much. Played a lot of football this year and majority of it was senior. He was a borderline athlete as it is, so he was always going to test poorly imo. Lucky he can play football. Also seems like a really good kid that will do everything he can to be the best he can be.

It's taller than Caleb Daniel. The issue with height is often really an issue with weight and strength. If you think he's going to be able to stick a tackle and won't be pushed over too easily at AFL level, I wouldn't worry too much about his height.

I'm not saying players can't make it at that height just they're a lot less likely. A lot less.

I'm not saying players can't make it at that height just they're a lot less likely. A lot less.
Most of the recruiters certainly seem to agree, I just think its a bit overplayed. Blair was ok, but it wasn't his height that stopped him being genuinely good, it was that he did a lot of dumb things. And Blair was short with mediocre pace. I'd happily draft short and electric, if he projected to be able to tackle and not just be brushed aside in a contest. But that's a big if.

Most of the recruiters certainly seem to agree, I just think its a bit overplayed. Blair was ok, but it wasn't his height that stopped him being genuinely good, it was that he did a lot of dumb things. And Blair was short with mediocre pace. I'd happily draft short and electric, if he projected to be able to tackle and not just be brushed aside in a contest. But that's a big if.

Agree... however their size makes that much less likely.

Agree... however their size makes that much less likely.

Talent usually wins out so if they’re small they just need to be mega talented to impact at the top level. Pickett’s got the talent, IMO. The question will probably be consistency which he seems to struggle with at Jnr level as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back