List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospect Discussion

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Snoop are you hearing something re our interest in talls or just your take? Because I’m scratching my head at it personally.

if we take Dunn via the SSP we’re on track to have give or take 10 guys at VFL level capable of playing a KP role in 2020. The question is quality of course, but after adding Wilson, Kelly, Keane, Cameron and Tohill over 18-19 I’m not seeing it. Especially when you compare it to our midfield profile which will sit at maybe 5-6 options at VFL level next year or small defensive with 1-2.
Are we trying to win a VFL premiership though? Trying to get someone who can replace Roughead in time (perhaps that is Kelly) and a decent key forward is a primary list need. We're not going to be too worried about (lack of) midfield depth in the VFL nor half back flankers because we've got a tonne of them in the senior team. Given we have Cox, Cameron and Lynch, i can't imagine us drafting a ruck-type who can pinch hit forward. We'd much rather a genuine key forward like Riccardi if available I imagine.
I'm not convinced that Wilson, Tohill, Dunn, Keane, Lynch, Cameron etc are going to be in our next premiership side. So supplementing them with another key position player isn't the worst idea.
I'm not convinced about Atu either, so a crumbing forward to push Josh Thomas out of the senior team would be welcome.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
If history is any guide Hine is unlikely to pick a player who is on any of BF punter’s wish lists, particularly once outside top 20. So I suggest you don’t get too attached to Riccardi, Jeka ......whoever just yet.

Are you trying to say we're going off-campus and drafting Murray?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
No love for Bianco?

I’m not wedded to a player because the reality is at the point we enter the draft it’s pot luck so I’ll be happy with any. The ones that stand out to me though are Robertson, Bianco, Rantall and Schoenberg. One of those four take us from a good to great outcome, IMO. We also shouldn’t be the least bit surprised with Gould sliding he needs a good kick up the arse for showing up at the combine the way he did and I’m not interested any longer no matter how impressive his CV is.

One things for sure I’m mentally preparing myself for some obscure name ranked around 50 on draft boards, who KM will say was poor value and hardcore nuffies like BJ will use to say that the club nailed it because it proves the masses have NFI 🤣

Pure guess, but I’m going to go with Sharman.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Are we trying to win a VFL premiership though? Trying to get someone who can replace Roughead in time (perhaps that is Kelly) and a decent key forward is a primary list need. We're not going to be too worried about (lack of) midfield depth in the VFL nor half back flankers because we've got a tonne of them in the senior team. Given we have Cox, Cameron and Lynch, i can't imagine us drafting a ruck-type who can pinch hit forward. We'd much rather a genuine key forward like Riccardi if available I imagine.
I'm not convinced that Wilson, Tohill, Dunn, Keane, Lynch, Cameron etc are going to be in our next premiership side. So supplementing them with another key position player isn't the worst idea.
I'm not convinced about Atu either, so a crumbing forward to push Josh Thomas out of the senior team would be welcome.

Absolutely not! We could go winless for the next 5 years for all I care so long as development and structure aren’t compromised. The problem is restriction of development opportunities. You have to have your seniors and reserves playing a similar system so does it really help or hinder development if our VFL structure looks like this in 2020?

FB: Murphy, Keane, Appleby
HB: Madgen, Tohill, Dunn

HF: Broomhead, Riccardi, Lynch
FF: Reid, Kelly, Wilson

We play a small senior 22 so is that system at VFL level allowing for a legitimate stepping stone? I’m not convinced by any of our reserve talls, but I’m far from convinced that using late picks in this draft will fix that issue. Not re-signing Reid and Dunn would have been more appropriate, IMO, if we plan to go tall. The problem really is the age profile with Moore aside no options in the 22-28 age bracket which is a symptom of poor list management from 12-17.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Agh re Georgiades..

20191128_101232.jpg

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would like to see the experts do a post round 1 phantom draft to see how they think it will shape
Check this out: Phantom Draft: How remaining picks will play out — and there are some hidden gems
Download the FOX Sports app here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/app?source=app @FOXSportsAUS

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
We also shouldn’t be the least bit surprised with Gould sliding he needs a good kick up the arse for showing up at the combine the way he did and I’m not interested any longer no matter how impressive his CV is.

I'm not across this. How did he show up? By boat, without a taxi ride to Margaret Court? By helicopter to the roof?

Or just overweight?

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not wedded to a player because the reality is at the point we enter the draft it’s pot luck so I’ll be happy with any. The ones that stand out to me though are Robertson, Bianco, Rantall and Schoenberg. One of those four take us from a good to great outcome, IMO. We also shouldn’t be the least bit surprised with Gould sliding he needs a good kick up the arse for showing up at the combine the way he did and I’m not interested any longer no matter how impressive his CV is.

One things for sure I’m mentally preparing myself for some obscure name ranked around 50 on draft boards, who KM will say was poor value and hardcore nuffies like BJ will use to say that the club nailed it because it proves the masses have NFI 🤣

Pure guess, but I’m going to go with Sharman.

By the way, just on Bianco, would he be any chance of senior footy in 2020? Say in a role left void by Greenwood/Aish? Of course we have Quaynor as competition but just curious.

Some would say we don't have need for a "small defender/outside mid" but I would beg to differ.

Could be one of our biggest needs outside of the KPF.

I'm not across this. How did he show up? By boat, without a taxi ride to Margaret Court? By helicopter to the roof?

Or just overweight?
He looked like he stayed at macca’s for months apparently

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Or just overweight?

When you’re 18 and show up bulkier than some ruckmen it’s not a good luck. I heard something about a few recruiters getting stuck into him over it and that he’s since dropped weight, but I’m over guys with commitment issues.

Check this out: Phantom Draft: How remaining picks will play out — and there are some hidden gems
Download the FOX Sports app here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/app?source=app @FOXSportsAUS
Not sure what Balmer is thinking, but us taking 3 talls is a 0% chance. That would mean we’d have 7 (8if you include Madgen) developing talls to play alongside Reid, Cameron and possibly Dunn. You can’t have 9-10 talls running around in the VFL.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
He looked like he stay at macca’s for months apparently

Few too many meals at Lazy Moes perhaps!

Not sure what Balmer is thinking, but us taking 3 talls is a 0% chance. That would mean we’d have 7 (8if you include Madgen) developing talls to play alongside Reid, Cameron and possibly Dunn. You can’t have 9-10 talls running around in the VFL.

I'm sure Pie 4 Life said we were 100% taking a tall this year but that was at least a month ago. Assuming Balmer has the same intel, but may be taking it much more literally.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Snoop are you hearing something re our interest in talls or just your take? Because I’m scratching my head at it personally.

if we take Dunn via the SSP we’re on track to have give or take 10 guys at VFL level capable of playing a KP role in 2020. The question is quality of course, but after adding Wilson, Kelly, Keane, Cameron and Tohill over 18-19 I’m not seeing it. Especially when you compare it to our midfield profile which will sit at maybe 5-6 options at VFL level next year or small defensive with 1-2.

nah the word I hear is that they have put work into a couple of talls. The ones I hear (in no order) are Jones / Riccardi / Comben. I had heard that they were trying to move up to grab Jones. Having said that at that part of the draft someone could slip and they would just take them bc as per your view they think they have enough.

As i have said previously I dont really rate any of them as capable / likely to make a meaningful contribution in 2020 when we are in the window hence I think Riccardi is a must for us. You would 'overs' just to get him bc as we found out Ben Reid wasnt a good outcome and certainly wont be with another year under his belt.

Few too many meals at Lazy Moes perhaps!

I'm sure Pie 4 Life said we were 100% taking a tall this year but that was at least a month ago. Assuming Balmer has the same intel, but may be taking it much more literally.
We will take a tall but I'm sure we will have a crack at trading up to grab Jones (or perhaps even Worrell) so that could still be in play. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take two, but I reckon three is a stretch. Though the third is probably a best available type scenario.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers

If Dylan Williams was there at 39 then I'd hope that we'd be all over him, not Riccardi. Kid had a bad age-18 year by his standards but the he has talent to burn and is dangerous around goal.

Like the Sharman pick at 50 - kid could be anything,

We'd have some tough choices to make at out third pick if Pasini (who I don't mind), Chirgwin, Byrnes and Jeka are all available.

Given a similar order would we be happy with Williams at 39, Sharman at 48 and one of Chirgwin or Byrnes (both natural footballers who can get the pill) at 55?

I don't think it would ever come about in the live draft but it looks like a nice tidy little haul from where I'm sitting.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
When you’re 18 and show up bulkier than some ruckmen it’s not a good luck. I heard something about a few recruiters getting stuck into him over it and that he’s since dropped weight, but I’m over guys with commitment issues.

The SA U18 coach was asked about this on a draft podcast last week and he tried to downplay his combine conditioning. Said the kid can seriously play so don’t be too concerned.

Apparently he was given the green light to go out and enjoy the Glenelg premiership win with his teammates (week before combine). Sounds like he did. Lucky he decided not to go with the team on the end of season trip.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will take a tall but I'm sure we will have a crack at trading up to grab Jones (or perhaps even Worrell) so that could still be in play. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take two, but I reckon three is a stretch. Though the third is probably a best available type scenario.
I would love to get Harry Jones.

The kid is a jet and he genuinely comes from a great family. Top quality kid.

His old man is a very good friend of my brother and was a gun cricketer and is a top fella.

The SA U18 coach was asked about this on a draft podcast last week and he tried to downplay his combine conditioning. Said the kid can seriously play so don’t be too concerned.

Apparently he was given the green light to go out and enjoy the Glenelg premiership win with his teammates (week before combine). Sounds like he did. Lucky he decided not to go with the team on the end of season trip.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Footy is getting ridiculous when we're concerned about an 18 year olds conditioning a couple of weeks after he's won a flag and thus been drinking with the big boys.

I would love to get Harry Jones.

The kid is a jet and he genuinely comes from a great family. Top quality kid.

His old man is a very good friend of my brother and was a gun cricketer and is a top fella.
Yeah, was nervous using a R1 pick on him, but anything from this point on I'm more than happy to use on him (including Port's R1). We'd probably need to give up #35 and our R1 next year but I'd rather that than just pick up an okay or average tall. At least his upside is clear. One you can really develop.

Back