List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems to me that somewhere along the way to acquiring both Bruce and Keath, we trade pick 13 and at least 2 of our picks in the 40's ending up with the two aforesaid players, a second round pick and a second round pick next year. All good.

We must draft at least 3 players under the AFL rules.

I am therefore interested in reading about draft choices early to mid 2nd round, 3rd round and a late one (rookie or VFL promotion).

I suppose the next week or two will firm all this up so am probably being premature, might be wrong too but still am keen to see more thoughts about 2nd and 3rd round gems.

Interested in thoughts about trading any remaining second rounder and taking two with very late picks. Under this scenario, we have Bruce, Keath, another import, a 3rd round draft pick and two late ones. I am quite happy to take two of Reuben William or Lachie Young or Roarke with late picks to satisfy draft requirements. This is predicated on the assumption that in 2020 we go young with 3 or 4 top NGA/FS recruits beckoning.

It seems to me that somewhere along the way to acquiring both Bruce and Keath, we trade pick 13 and at least 2 of our picks in the 40's ending up with the two aforesaid players, a second round pick and a second round pick next year. All good.

We must draft at least 3 players under the AFL rules.

I am therefore interested in reading about draft choices early to mid 2nd round, 3rd round and a late one (rookie or VFL promotion).

I suppose the next week or two will firm all this up so am probably being premature, might be wrong too but still am keen to see more thoughts about 2nd and 3rd round gems.

Interested in thoughts about trading any remaining second rounder and taking two with very late picks. Under this scenario, we have Bruce, Keath, another import, a 3rd round draft pick and two late ones. I am quite happy to take two of Reuben William or Lachie Young or Roarke with late picks to satisfy draft requirements. This is predicated on the assumption that in 2020 we go young with 3 or 4 top NGA/FS recruits beckoning.
Late 2nd/early 3rd there's Ben Sokol who I've been talking about a fair bit lately. Ideal Dickson replacement. If he's gone, Anthony Scott from our VFL side isn't exactly an identical player, but a similar enough type that we wouldn't want both. He's more likely to drop later than Sokol

Sam De Koning (Tom's brother) should end up around this range too. Played a lot of juniors on a wing, then had a growth spurt and is now a very athletic KPP who can play both ends. McAsey and Worrell will go earlier, but De Koning is probably the next best option if we want another young KPP

Jake Riccardi is probably the best mature age KPF available, but may be gone by the end of the 2nd round

Kysaiah Pickett could be an option at the end of the 2nd round. Hugely talented small forward, nephew of Byron

Ned Cahill is another who could be there for a 3rd round pick. Small forward who is known for his manic pressure. Could even drop to the rookie draft if we're lucky. Spent some time in the midfield this year too, but his work up forward is probably of more interest

Dyson Hilder is another fairly talented KPP who could be available in the 3rd round. He's at the draft combine today if you're interested in following his results. Would pick De Koning first I think between the two

To summarise:

Medium Forwards - Ben Sokol + Anthony Scott
KPPs - Sam De Koning + Jake Riccardi + Dyson Hilder
Small Forwards - Kysaiah Pickett + Ned Cahill

Personally, I'd pick Sokol, De Koning and Pickett out of each of those groups if given the choice

Late 2nd/early 3rd there's Ben Sokol who I've been talking about a fair bit lately. Ideal Dickson replacement. If he's gone, Anthony Scott from our VFL side isn't exactly an identical player, but a similar enough type that we wouldn't want both. He's more likely to drop later than Sokol

Sam De Koning (Tom's brother) should end up around this range too. Played a lot of juniors on a wing, then had a growth spurt and is now a very athletic KPP who can play both ends. McAsey and Worrell will go earlier, but De Koning is probably the next best option if we want another young KPP

Jake Riccardi is probably the best mature age KPF available, but may be gone by the end of the 2nd round

Kysaiah Pickett could be an option at the end of the 2nd round. Hugely talented small forward, nephew of Byron

Ned Cahill is another who could be there for a 3rd round pick. Small forward who is known for his manic pressure. Could even drop to the rookie draft if we're lucky. Spent some time in the midfield this year too, but his work up forward is probably of more interest

Dyson Hilder is another fairly talented KPP who could be available in the 3rd round. He's at the draft combine today if you're interested in following his results. Would pick De Koning first I think between the two

To summarise:

Personally, I'd pick Sokol, De Koning and Pickett out of each of those groups if given the choice

Thanks Virgin Dog, most of those names I am completely unfamiliar with. Will go and study up, cheers.

I asked KM about small forwards in this draft available late, a couplke of nterestign names here:

A good draft for small forwards.

Malcolm Rosas Jr and Kysaiah Pickett if they slide would be optimal late. Both are very quick and instinctive. Ned Cahill and Tyrone Thorne are two others I'd recommend for consideration, Thorne probably more as a rookie though.

To summarise:

Also James Rowe a mature aged small forward from WWT in the SANFL. Wouldn't mind him as a rookie pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could easily play wing

Has been far less impressive as a winger and there are more highly rated wing options if we’re looking at going that route anyway.

He can kick longer, more accurately than any of our current ones. Also is quick. Could be good winger too.

It’s silly to waste such a high pick to only slightly improve a position we’re already stocked in when we can look for a small forward who can impact from day one and give us something we don’t currently have enough of.

If we want a wing at the top end of the draft, Stephens is our guy, not Ash tbh

I might be wrong but I think we usually go a left footer on the left wing and a right footer on the right wing so I'm not sure we'd be too interested unless we change that up

Best available is only a viable recruitment strategy for the top tier of players. Last year that was Walsh, Luko, Rankine, the Kings, Rozee and Smith. We fell into that range so best available was the way we went.

This year that tier is Rowell, Anderson, Greene, Serong, Young, Ash, Flanders and Kemp. Kemp is the only one with any real chance of making it to our pick and even that is unlikely. If that top tier is gone then the lists needs should to be taken into account.

Best available is only a viable recruitment strategy for the top tier of players. Last year that was Walsh, Luko, Rankine, the Kings, Rozee and Smith. We fell into that range so best available was the way we went.

This year that tier is Rowell, Anderson, Greene, Serong, Young, Ash, Flanders and Kemp. Kemp is the only one with any real chance of making it to our pick and even that is unlikely. If that top tier is gone then the lists needs should to be taken into account.
Disagree. If our first pick is in the 30s and our highest rated player available is an inside mid, that's who we take. Drafting is all about quality, if we thought otherwise we miss Naughton, Baz etc

Disagree. If our first pick is in the 30s and our highest rated player available is an inside mid, that's who we take. Drafting is all about quality, if we thought otherwise we miss Naughton, Baz etc
I agree to an extent, but I imagine it gets to a point where we may rate two players very similar, at which point it's not out of the question to simply take the bigger need. For example, if we're presented with the chance to take Robertson or McAsey, we might rate Robertson at 7 and McAsey at 8, but decide to take the latter since he's the bigger need.

If, however, someone like Serong slid to our pick, I could understand forgoing the player of bigger need in the interest of taking the bigger talent.

To use your example, if our first pick is 30 and when the times come we have an inside mid rated slightly higher than a small forward, then any competent recruiting staff would take the small forward.

Obviously this is within reason. Say we get to pick 12 and (to use an extreme example) Noah Anderson is still available you take him but when the gap between two players isn't massive then the lists needs should be considered, particularly when your list is as unbalanced as ours.

Has been far less impressive as a winger and there are more highly rated wing options if we’re looking at going that route anyway.

It’s silly to waste such a high pick to only slightly improve a position we’re already stocked in when we can look for a small forward who can impact from day one and give us something we don’t currently have enough of.
Drafting for needs in the first round is dumb as *

Remove this Banner Ad

Back