List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely agree that on the night if we miss our target we trade for a second this and next year for extra points that we lost. Could be Geelong to give them 13 + 14. This way we could get 24 and their 2020 second. SOunding good, obvisouly only if we cannot get Weightman or whoever it is we're targeting.

Small Forward - Weightman
Tall Defender - McAsey (Young is the only young TALL on our list, Cordy is more a medium tall and light weight. Need another defender over 195cm with build to develop whilst Keath is around and then take over)
Classy Mid/Winger - Stephens

Those are our three main areas of need, and my dream pick ups at 13. But have a feeling all of them will end up gone by our pick. Melbourne are big on Weightman and probably got pick 8 purely for him. Port and Crows both have picks before ours and a home grown talent in Stephens will appeal. McAsey will be close to the first tall gone. Normally there is 2 or 3 talls gone inside the top the top 10 of most drafts.

Gould will be a good pick up. Has a good work rate, and can play man on man roles vs small and medium defenders. Could be our next Dale Morris role?
I'd take a gamble on Kemp if he slides. I think our list can afford a gamble on a potential Bontempelli II, and the versatility appeals to Bevo.

Could end up being a who the F is that kind of pick

How do people see the picks before us going?

my attempt
1 Rowell (suns) - just happens
2 Anderson (suns) - just happens
3 young (dees) - dees need outside class
4 green (gws match bid) - can’t see gws trading up from 6
5 ash (crows) - crows need outside class
6 Serong (swans) - need to add to their midfield
7 Robertson (freo) - need to continue to add to their midfield, kpps aren’t a need
8 weightman (dees) - widely rumoured dees want him
9 Flanders (Carlton) - best available and they want small/mid forwards
10 sharp (freo) - outside class which is a need
11 kemp (hawks) - hawks are generally one to take a risk
12 Henry (freo match bid) - bid is expected between 11-15 freo will match
13 Gould (power) - toughest to choose, power went with speed and outside class last year may go taller this year also an SA kid.

If that happens we would have the choice of Stephens, McAsey, Williams.

personally I’d take a punt on Williams it’s a risk given his year was injury interrupted and he didn’t reach the heights expected but there is massive up side and a creative half forward is exactly what we need.

my attempt
7 Robertson (freo) - need to continue to add to their midfield, kpps aren’t a need
13 Gould (power) - toughest to choose, power went with speed and outside class last year may go taller this year also an SA kid.

personally I’d take a punt on Williams it’s a risk given his year was injury interrupted and he didn’t reach the heights expected but there is massive up side and a creative half forward is exactly what we need.
The plastics are a good chance to trade with Melbourne for pick 3 prior to the draft. Already discussing it

I can see why we wanted to keep 13. It’s a pretty haphazard draft and someone we really like could easily slide to that spot.
With Melbourne likely to grab Weightman at pick 8 that increases the chances of a slider getting to us. McAsey or an attacking mid/forward outside runner. Any quality is good as they probably won't get games next year so we can bank the quality and let them develop.

With Melbourne likely to grab Weightman at pick 8 that increases the chances of a slider getting to us. McAsey or an attacking mid/forward outside runner. Any quality is good as they probably won't get games next year so we can bank the quality and let them develop.

Refusing to sacrifice the talent pipeline in trades is an approach that I love. That’s how you build good depth and avoid half a list of plonkers.

The plastics are a good chance to trade with Melbourne for pick 3 prior to the draft. Already discussing it
Obviously there is talk about it but I can’t see it actually going through unless gws massively over pay. They have greens brother next year so doubt they can afford to trade their first next year.
Also if your the dees why would you give up taking the best player behind Rowell and Anderson to then end up with picks 6 and 8 which become 7 and 9 after the green bid?
surely they would rather get the third best player in the draft then have a choice of a range of talent at pick 8.

Obviously there is talk about it but I can’t see it actually going through unless gws massively over pay. They have greens brother next year so doubt they can afford to trade their first next year.
Also if your the dees why would you give up taking the best player behind Rowell and Anderson to then end up with picks 6 and 8 which become 7 and 9 after the green bid?
surely they would rather get the third best player in the draft then have a choice of a range of talent at pick 8.
They don't need to trade their future first rounder

Melbourne currently only have 2 picks in the draft, they need more. It's a fair chance of happening

Otherwise, the plastics just traded up to 6 for no reason

my attempt

You seem to have sharp a fair bit higher than most although he could be one who comes in as the draft approaches. Actually wouldn't mind him on our list.
I actually think a quality winger is a bigger need than a small forward for us and is a harder player to find. Lots of AFL standard small forwards have been picked up late in the draft.
Hopefully Richards can be our winger but not sure he has the stamina.
I'd be pretty happy with any of the three you've mentioned.

You seem to have sharp a fair bit higher than most although he could be one who comes in as the draft approaches. Actually wouldn't mind him on our list.
I actually think a quality winger is a bigger need than a small forward for us and is a harder player to find. Lots of AFL standard small forwards have been picked up late in the draft.
Hopefully Richards can be our winger but not sure he has the stamina.
I'd be pretty happy with any of the three you've mentioned.

sharp may be a touch high but he is an east Fremantle kid and provides outside class that freo needs.

I’m the complete opposite I think we have a few guys who could play through that opposite wing to hunter, Jj and Richards are two options, smith and lipinski as they develop further also.

But we have a huge whole on our list of natural and creative forwards and quick pressure forwards. If weightman is available we just have to take him but I doubt he will be available, Williams seems like a player we could really use who is a natural half forward with goal sense and creativity not just a mid being played forward like most of the guys we tend to roll through there and we saw later in the year how potent our forward line could be when we played guys purely forward and not just extra mids there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dc416cf52d5978c207a95a987a470446.jpg

Fronk junior played for the swans academy against the giants academy recently. There were teams there to scout 13 year olds. Wowsers.
Surely there's a BF father-son rule we can fall back on somewhere?

Did my own phantom for the first round. I've assumed Melbourne and GWS will swap picks, and ignored all other potential pick swaps (since it's impossible to predict). Added a few comments to explain decisions. Edited, thanks to harry000 for pointing out I missed an eearly Melbourne pick

1. Matt Rowell - GC
  2. Noah Anderson - GC
  3. Hayden Young - GWS
  4. Tom Green - GWS (Matched bid from Adelaide)
  5. Sam Flanders - Adelaide
  6. Brodie Kemp - Sydney
  7. Lachie Ash - Melbourne
  8. Deven Robertson - Fremantle
  9. Cody Weightman - Melbourne
  10. Caleb Serong - Carlton
  11. Dylan Stephens - Fremantle
  12. Will Gould - Hawthorn
  13. Fischer McAsey - Port Adelaide
  14. Liam Henry - Fremantle (Matched bid from Bulldogs)
  15. Jeremy Sharp - Western Bulldogs
  16. Finn Maginness - Hawthorn (Matched bid from Geelong)
  17. Miles Bergman - Geelong
  18. Luke Jackson - Gold Coast
  19. Will Day - Brisbane Lions
  20. Bigoa Nyuon - St Kilda (Matched bid from Geelong)
  21. Sam De Koning - Geelong
  22. Harry Schoenberg - Port Adelaide
  23. Ryan Byrnes - Richmond
  24. Trent Rivers - Gold Coast

Some notes on my decisions:
  • Hayden Young would be my second highest rated player in this draft (behind Rowell), but I also understand that teams will rate both Anderson and Green higher. Would be surprised if his name isn't the 3rd one called out on the night
  • I don't rate Serong that highly, disposal is shocking. However, I also understand that most clubs look like having him quite high on their boards. I'd take him well outside top 10 if it were me
  • I have Robertson quite high here, but his late season form was better than almost any other player. Will be a gun
  • Weightman at 8 is reaching, but I see no other reason for Melbourne to do such a terrible trade with North unless they're desperate to be ahead of us and get Weightman here
  • Stephens fills the hole of Hill and Langdon for Freo, so I figure they take him here since he might be best available anyway
  • Maginness as a bolter thanks to his Combine results
  • Nyuon as another surprise bolter. He's rising up draft rankings, did very well at the Combine. Initially had Port bidding on him, but realised I missed an early pick so have revised, with Port landing McAsey the pick before us. With the best talls off the board, and Sharp gone to us, I have Geelong placing the bid since they don't have much in the area of young promising talls.
  • I added the Gold Coast priority pick at the end even though it's not 1st round, as I believe they could go for the two WA kids (Jackson and Rivers) since Freo and West Coast will both be out of reach here

If Freo decided to take Ash at their Pick 10 instead, I can see the Hawks taking McAsey, then us taking Stephens. They may also reach for Sharp at 10. They've made too many errors ignoring WA talent in the last few drafts (Naughton, Kelly, English), can't let that keep happening

Last edited:
Fair effort. Sydney - and where Kemp goes - will likely shape the first round so having them together is an interesting one.

Did my own phantom for the first round. I've assumed Melbourne and GWS will swap picks, and ignored all other potential pick swaps (since it's impossible to predict). Added a few comments to explain decisions

1. Matt Rowell - GC
  2. Noah Anderson - GC
  3. Hayden Young - GWS
  4. Tom Green - GWS (Matched bid from Adelaide)
  5. Sam Flanders - Adelaide
  6. Brodie Kemp - Sydney
  7. Deven Robertson - Fremantle
  8. Cody Weightman - Melbourne
  9. Caleb Serong - Carlton
  10. Dylan Stephens - Fremantle
  11. Lachie Ash - Hawthorn
  12. Will Gould - Port Adelaide
  13. Liam Henry - Fremantle (Matched bid from Bulldogs)
  14. Fischer McAsey - Western Bulldogs
  15. Finn Maginness - Hawthorn (Matched bid from Geelong)
  16. Jeremy Sharp - Geelong
  17. Luke Jackson - Gold Coast
  18. Will Day - Brisbane Lions
  19. Sam De Koning - Geelong
  20. Bigoa Nyuon - St Kilda (Matched bid from Port Adelaide)
  21. Harry Schoenberg - Port Adelaide
  22. Ryan Byrnes - Richmond
  23. Trent Rivers - Gold Coast

Some notes on my decisions:
  • Hayden Young would be my second highest rated player in this draft (behind Rowell), but I also understand that teams will rate both Anderson and Green higher. Would be surprised if his name isn't the 3rd one called out on the night
  • I don't rate Serong that highly, disposal is shocking. However, I also understand that most clubs look like having him quite high on their boards. I'd take him well outside top 10 if it were me
  • I have Robertson quite high here, but his late season form was better than almost any other player. Will be a gun
  • Weightman at 8 is reaching, but I see no other reason for Melbourne to do such a terrible trade with North unless they're desperate to be ahead of us and get Weightman here
  • Stephens fills the hole of Hill and Langdon for Freo, so I figure they take him here since he might be best available anyway
  • I personally would take any of Gould or McAsey for the Hawks at Pick 11, but for Ash to slide this far means they'd be forced to take him
  • Maginness as a bolter thanks to his Combine results
  • Nyuon as another surprise bolter. He's rising up draft rankings, did very well at the Combine, and Port may look to try replace Howard with another athletic key defender, so I think they place the bid here. With De Koning and McAsey off the board, Nyuon is next best available. Port then settle on Schoenberg as local talent and best available
  • I added the Gold Coast priority pick at the end even though it's not 1st round, as I believe they could go for the two WA kids (Jackson and Rivers) since Freo and West Coast will both be out of reach here

If Freo decided to take Ash at their Pick 10 instead, I can see the Hawks taking McAsey, then us taking Stephens. They may also reach for Sharp at 10. They've made too many errors ignoring WA talent in the last few drafts (Naughton, Kelly, English), can't let that keep happening

How did Melbourne only end up with 1 first round pick? If we swapped with GWS we would still go into the draft with 6 and 8?

If Luke Jackson is available - I’d be disappointed we don’t pounce even with English. He’d form a dynamic ruck combination for the next 10 years and Jackson/English are both agile enough to park themselves at FF and be dangerous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some chat he will end up as KPD at afl level.

If Luke Jackson is available - I’d be disappointed we don’t pounce even with English. He’d form a dynamic ruck combination for the next 10 years and Jackson/English are both agile enough to park themselves at FF and be dangerous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn't Jackson play KPP as well for a bit?

How did Melbourne only end up with 1 first round pick? If we swapped with GWS we would still go into the draft with 6 and 8?
fuuuucckkkk I missed them after the GWS bid match threw me out........

Editing now, changes everything :disrelieved:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back