List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Fingers crossed Josh Worrell slides to 13

Could easily see us going early on Elijah Taylor
Just came to post that there will always be a player or two that recruiters rate higher than BF/media pundits, and Elijah Taylor could well be it. Everything I've heard from people who know, and the snippets I've seen, have me convinced he'll be a very good AFL player.

If we take a KPD they'll get time to develop which will take the pressure off.

Pick 13 is in a very strange area. Could potentially get a slider like McAsey or Kemp, get Weightman who looked late teens a couple of months ago but now may go top 10, reach for someone like De Koning, Elijah Taylor or Dylan William or just go with the best available player which could be someone like Jackson, Worrell, Gould or about 5 other players.

This year is much harder to predict than the last couple.

Luke Jackson (WA Ruck), i wouldn't be opposed to taking with our first pick.
There was some talk of one of the WA clubs wanting him in the top 10.

One of the taller players I'd be interested in at our first along with Gould (replaces Suckers as superboot and Moz as backline general) and McAsey (intercepters are worth their weight in gold).

Still want a miracle and Stephens dropping though.

There was some talk of one of the WA clubs wanting him in the top 10.

One of the taller players I'd be interested in at our first along with Gould (replaces Suckers as superboot and Moz as backline general) and McAsey (intercepters are worth their weight in gold).

Still want a miracle and Stephens dropping though.
Wizard you're probably in a better position to judge than me but I get the impression Stephens is basically a quicker Hunter with the same un-damaging ball use and isn't really what we need. Am I wrong?

sharp may be a touch high but he is an east Fremantle kid and provides outside class that freo needs.

I’m the complete opposite I think we have a few guys who could play through that opposite wing to hunter, Jj and Richards are two options, smith and lipinski as they develop further also.

But we have a huge whole on our list of natural and creative forwards and quick pressure forwards. If weightman is available we just have to take him but I doubt he will be available, Williams seems like a player we could really use who is a natural half forward with goal sense and creativity not just a mid being played forward like most of the guys we tend to roll through there and we saw later in the year how potent our forward line could be when we played guys purely forward and not just extra mids there.
I really hope one of those players can fill the role but think if they could then we wouldn't have seen Hayes in the team at the end of the year. I don't think Hayes offers anything other than running ability but he was played there ahead of more 'damaging' players.
I think there's an assumption that if a player is quick and a nice kick they can play wing but there's more to it than that. We saw both Melbourne and St Kilda in this years trade period identify the wing as a really hard position to fill.

Just came to post that there will always be a player or two that recruiters rate higher than BF/media pundits, and Elijah Taylor could well be it. Everything I've heard from people who know, and the snippets I've seen, have me convinced he'll be a very good AFL player.

If we take a KPD they'll get time to develop which will take the pressure off.
The draft experts say with a few pre-seasons Taylor could be a star small forward

Wasn't there talk of him being prone to homesickness? Could be a fabrication from WA though.
I think I posted the homesickness thing. Sure I read that even being away in Perth for footy camps was a struggle and he would return home early. I can’t find where I read it though and he may also have grown out of it.

Wizard you're probably in a better position to judge than me but I get the impression Stephens is basically a quicker Hunter with the same un-damaging ball use and isn't really what we need. Am I wrong?
Yeah this is my impression as well, I can't see the hype

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Gould weighed in near 106kg apparently. Looks a talent, but I'm calling it now that he'll slide outside the first round. Clubs are generally put off by fatties.

Wow, surely not. Hasn’t he been described as a rebound defender. Did they mean rotund defender?

Will Gould weighed in near 106kg apparently. Looks a talent, but I'm calling it now that he'll slide outside the first round. Clubs are generally put off by fatties.

I was destroyed by a fattie full back many years ago. Spent most of the game picking myself up off the ground. They're underrated in my opinion.

Remember rule five of drafting 101.
Is he good because he is good or is he good because he is big. (Will Colons come on down).
Key forwards are great example of this. Many were built like men, vs defenders who are boys. Most key position players benefit from the size difference in the under 18's, and even the best key defenders in the league today were pretty skinny coming into the league so forwards seldom had match ups. Seems these days if you're big and strong, you're automatically dumped into the forward line at the unders level. Soon as they are exposed to players who are strong bodied in the AFL, they barely impact the game and fade away.

Didn't know Gould tested so poorly at the combine. Be interesting to see whether he just isn't naturally gifted athletically. Hasn't been conditioned properly, or its an attitude thing. Or simply just had a bad day, kind of like how we judge a kids intelligence by ONE test, instead of a few. You need to be mobile and stong in todays game, but you can get way with it if you have pure footballing abilities. If Gould has, then you can't teach those as much, but you can control conditioning of players.

50/50 on picking up Gould now. His testing could make him this years slider. There is always one or two.

I wouldn’t want to come up against Gould if I was in a forward line. Big solid lump of a kid, and there’s definitely a lot of muscle under the pudge.

He’d be the steal of the draft at #53. Nothing an elite environment can’t fix - Has all the natural talent, just isn’t athletically gifted - plays quicker than he is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nobody should question his talent, it's just whether the commitment is there. That's the key question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back