List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

If he drops outside the top 20 I'll eat my hat. On talent he is a first round pick. He'll lose the weight in an AFL enviroment. I don't think that he would be SA's U18 Captain if he was 'uncommited' as some here are suggesting. Some people can just put the weight on very easily while others (Spindles...) never can.

The recruiter I spoke to quite literally questioned his commitment in regards to running and diet. The basic gist of what he said was that his endurance hasn't improved throughout the year and it's been well known that endurance was/is his one major weakness. And of course the weight issue was spoken about. He spoke highly of his talent though and I really like the way he plays myself. I'll even say that he looks a top 10 talent to my eye.

I just don't think he will go in the first 20 particularly when the draft doesn't appear to be too kind to overweight footballers. Off the top of my head Allen Christensen was talked as a first round pick, yet went 3rd round. Tom Rockliff was talked up, but overlooked in his initial draft year and only got picked up late the following year. McGovern was a talent, yet only got picked up as a rookie. Darcy Hourigan was expected to be a shoe in to get drafted, yet went undrafted.

I honestly can't think of anyone that was overweight and drafted early, at least recently.

True Wizard17, my point was more if he was 88 kg he would probably be a top five pick. I have never seen him
play, but the fat face and the red cheeks are a worry although I think Clayton Oliver had to shed a few pounds
and he has done fairly well to date.

Oliver slimmed down throughout his draft year as he didn't have a pre season due to injury, he was 85kg at the combine (which is different to those mentioned above). Gould has only got heavier as the seasons rolled on which isn't a good sign. He's over 20kg heavier than Oliver yet only 4cm taller at the same stage.

Oliver slimmed down throughout his draft year as he didn't have a pre season due to injury, he was 85kg at the combine (which is different to those mentioned above). Gould has only got heavier as the seasons rolled on which isn't a good sign. He's over 20kg heavier than Oliver yet only 4cm taller at the same stage.
I have a short list of 29 players so far and he is not on it, he is good enough to be , but I share your concerns.
Mind you 10 to 15 of my players would be rookie prospects in a good year.

Developing KPD who can chop out in the Ruck. Have to keep the talent churn happening.
Couple I would prefer more not sure they will be there though. Weightman to get under Naughts and Baroose's feet as first option or if not there McAsey if he slides

But why do you want us to take Jackson?

I would take Luke Jackson in that draft because he is the best available player, we only have five developing talls on our list and the gap between him and the next best at his position seems pretty wide. He certainly won’t last to 13 if GWS are able to trade up.

Why do you want us to take yet another half back in Josh Worrell?

I would take Luke Jackson in that draft because he is the best available player, we only have five developing talls on our list and the gap between him and the next best at his position seems pretty wide. He certainly won’t last to 13 if GWS are able to trade up.

McAsey is the best KPP, if available at our pick

He is not undamaging with his ball use. He gets involved multiple times in offensive chains and his ability to finish the way he does infront of goal is exactly what we need.

There’s a fair of Lachie Whitfield in the way Dylan moves. Will be an outstanding player wherever he ends up. Would be nice if it was at the dogs but can’t see him slipping too far from the top 8 picks.

He isn't slow though. Testing at the combine doesn't always tell the truth watch the player actually play. Some players test fast but never use it, some test slow but never look slow in game. I think someone mentioned Jeremy McGovern tested poorly early on in this thread which would be the perfect example of this.

Dale Morris replacement imo. Natural leader in defense.
You can actually see shades of Morris in his game but actually faster. Bet he could break tackles too. With Morris now a developing coach he can get the best out of Gould.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But what use is another ruckman behind English? Bevo won’t play 2 ruckman. The only ruckmen we need behind English is cheap depth or cheap experience to break glass in case of emergency. Wouldn’t use another first round pick on a guy who’ll take 2-3 years to develop and only plays if English goes back to WA or gets hurt. And here’s the kicker, we invest in Jackson and then he goes home before doing anything? Why would we want to be a part of that?

Worrell can play many roles - he’s 195cm. He’s been used as a KPP at either end. Bevo loves flexibility, he has it in spades.

He isn't slow though. Testing at the combine doesn't always tell the truth watch the player actually play. Some players test fast but never use it, some test slow but never look slow in game. I think someone mentioned Jeremy McGovern tested poorly early on in this thread which would be the perfect example of this.

Dale Morris replacement imo. Natural leader in defense.

Gould has good disposal by foot.

But what use is another ruckman behind English? Bevo won’t play 2 ruckman. The only ruckmen we need behind English is cheap depth or cheap experience to break glass in case of emergency. Wouldn’t use another first round pick on a guy who’ll take 2-3 years to develop and only plays if English goes back to WA or gets hurt. And here’s the kicker, we invest in Jackson and then he goes home before doing anything? Why would we want to be a part of that?

Worrell can play many roles - he’s 195cm. He’s been used as a KPP at either end. Bevo loves flexibility, he has it in spades.

Boyd, Roughead, Trengove & English combined for 47 games and 583 hitouts last year. Similar story each year prior. What changed this year? If you lock in “Bev refuses to play two rucks” then I hope Eddie lets you down gently. Besides, unlike others, I think Jackson has potential beyond the ruck.

2 of our last 3 first round picks have been from WA. Perhaps I should be concerned?

That description of Worrell reminds me of Andrejs Everitt. Personally, I wanted Jack Riewoldt that year. Andrejs did lead Carlton‘s goal kicking once, though, so joke’s on me I guess.

Boyd, Roughead, Trengove & English combined for 47 games and 583 hitouts last year. Similar story each year prior. What changed this year? If you lock in “Bev refuses to play two rucks” then I hope Eddie lets you down gently. Besides, unlike others, I think Jackson has potential beyond the ruck.

2 of our last 3 first round picks have been from WA. Perhaps I should be concerned?

That description of Worrell reminds me of Andrejs Everitt. Personally, I wanted Jack Riewoldt that year. Andrejs did lead Carlton‘s goal kicking once, though, so joke’s on me I guess.
And what about this year? He went solely with English because the game changes.

I can understand your decision if you value Jackson in another position that isn’t ruck. Don’t agree, but understand.

Ask yourself though, if we take him as a ruckman, what message does that send to Tim English. It’s like an NFL team taking a QB with a first round pick with an already established QB at the helm.

The general consensus is Jackson is a touch short to be a Ruckman at AFL level 197cm. Has good contested marking and has a great follow up ability at ground level.
All attributes that could make for a KPD who can pinch hit in the Ruck when English needs a rest.
He wouldn't be my first choice but do think he could be a versatile tall pick up if we can't get what we exactly want.

And what about this year? He went solely with English because the game changes.

I can understand your decision if you value Jackson in another position that isn’t ruck. Don’t agree, but understand.

Ask yourself though, if we take him as a ruckman, what message does that send to Tim English. It’s like an NFL team taking a QB with a first round pick with an already established QB at the helm.

Change of philosophy or dramatic change in circumstances? I know which I lean toward.

I don’t think it’s anything like that analogy to be honest. That would be the least of my concerns.

Change of philosophy or dramatic change in circumstances? I know which I lean toward.

I don’t think it’s anything like that analogy to be honest. That would be the least of my concerns.
It appears we’re on very different pages.

It appears we’re on very different pages.

You’ve clearly read ahead of me. I still haven’t gotten to the chapter where drafting him sends world’s tallest quarterback Tim English into a rage and they both fly home to WA. I hope it has Goosebumps style alternative endings, because that one makes me sad.

I tried to put names to numbers for the first time yesterday and all I can say to the guys is good luck way too
many of the same sides with multiple early picks and so little diversity. I ended up taking Jeremy Sharp at
the Dogs pick, but Rivers, D. Stephens, Taylor, Worrell, C. Stephens and De Koning were still on the board.

If Luke Jackson is still available at our selection and Mcasey,Weightman etc are already gone then i can see power picking him up.
Everyone knows you go best talent available with your first round selection, unless your carlton and trade pick 7 for 19 (Blaine Boekhorst) Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley 😂

If Luke Jackson is still available at our selection and Mcasey,Weightman etc are already gone then i can see power picking him up.
Everyone knows you go best talent available with your first round selection, unless your carlton and trade pick 7 for 19 (Blaine Boekhorst) Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley 😂
Jackson was Fremantle's 2nd pick (10) in my effort, but I had three bids and only the Green one was realistic the
other two were fantasy at best just to use up a team's picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back