List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks.

After watching Young yesterday, we need one of the KPDs.

Wouldn't mind Hirst either. A small forward with genuine speed, pressure work and agility is something we have been wanting for quite a while.

I've been interested to see if we could get a high end KPD in the ND this year so I'd go for leg speed at the mid season draft.

I want someone large, skilful with a big dose of mongrel.... any of these fit that bill?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Closest thing to that would be Austin Hodge.

Really keen to see how the defenders go this season. Given Naughton is playing forward, we do lack a tall KPD. We have a couple, but Premiership teams have good depth, amd we only an injury or two away from being exposed I reckon. So it won't surprise me if its high on our draft wish list this year, even though we have a best available approach with our first round picks these days.

I'd like to hope we're looking at one of Jye Bolton or Mitchell Grigg. Losing an experienced player like Picken calls for an experienced replacement, and those two guys are the best available midfielders from the state leagues.

Really keen to see how the defenders go this season. Given Naughton is playing forward, we do lack a tall KPD. We have a couple, but Premiership teams have good depth, amd we only an injury or two away from being exposed I reckon. So it won't surprise me if its high on our draft wish list this year, even though we have a best available approach with our first round picks these days.

With Naughton forward my hope is this boys is around our first pick in the ND this year.

I'd like to hope we're looking at one of Jye Bolton or Mitchell Grigg. Losing an experienced player like Picken calls for an experienced replacement, and those two guys are the best available midfielders from the state leagues.
Our 'midfield six' is set for the year going by our centre square attendance figures - adding another guy who can win the ball at lower level won't be on the cards unless there's a specific role for them (e.g. Caverra becoming a forward after being a dangerous mid previously).

I'm starting to think we may use the mid season draft differently. We took two 19 yer olds last year so we may be watching someone who missed out on the 2018 draft (e.g. Hanrahan) and pick them up 6 months early for no draft pick.

With Naughton forward my hope is this boys is around our first pick in the ND this year.

My only concern with Gould is whether he's like Isaac Quaynor (early bloomer who is AFL-ready) or Kieran Collins (dominates juniors, never cracks it in the AFL)

Round 2 stats from the boys listed on the previous page:

Cody Hirst - 28 disposals (19k, 9h), 8 marks, 4 tackles, 2 I50's - named first best for Eastern
Angus Hanrahan - 2 goals, 1 behind, 17 disposals (10k, 7h), 6 marks, 2 I50, 2 R50
Riley Bowman - 6 disposals (3k, 3h), 3 marks, 5 tackles, 1 R50, 2 I50, 14 hit outs
Joe Ayton-Delaney - 17 disposals (9k, 8h), 3 marks, 4 I50's
Kyle Dunkley - 23 disposals (14k, 9h), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 4 R50, 5 I50
Charlie Sprague - 1 behind, 21 disposals (15k, 6h), 3 marks, 3 tackles, 7 I50
Liam Fiore - 14 disposals (8k, 6h), 6 marks, 1 tackle, 1 I50
Jed Hill - 1 behind, 12 disposals (5k, 7h), 1 mark, 4 tackles, 1 R50, 2 I50
James Cleaver - 2 goasl, 16 disposals (10k, 6h), 1 mark, 2 tackles, 3 I50

My only concern with Gould is whether he's like Isaac Quaynor (early bloomer who is AFL-ready) or Kieran Collins (dominates juniors, never cracks it in the AFL)
First Senior SANFL Game seems to say the former.

NORWOOD 1.3 3.6 5.9 9.15 (69)

GLENELG 2.4 4.4 8.5 9.10 (64)

LEADING DISPOSALS – Norwood: L. Johnston 37, Grigg 33, Nunn 28, Hamilton, Panos 25, McKenzie 24, Baulderstone 21, Shenton 20.

Glenelg: Partington 26, Gould 24, Scott 20, Bradley 19, Scharenberg, White 18.

GOALS – Norwood: Grigg 2, Bampton, Barry, Baulderstone, Hamilton, Panos, Smart, Szust.

Glenelg: Motlop, Scott 2, Gregson, Hosie, McBean, Partington, Reynolds.

Our 'midfield six' is set for the year going by our centre square attendance figures - adding another guy who can win the ball at lower level won't be on the cards unless there's a specific role for them (e.g. Caverra becoming a forward after being a dangerous mid previously).

I'm starting to think we may use the mid season draft differently. We took two 19 yer olds last year so we may be watching someone who missed out on the 2018 draft (e.g. Hanrahan) and pick them up 6 months early for no draft pick.
If Picken didn't have concussion problems, he's best 22, simple as that.

Of coruse.
But he does and we seem to have adjusted accordingly.

I shoudl have said midfield 5 according to this article:

Beveridge’s gang of five are Jackson Macrae (35 centre bounces), Mitch Wallis (30), Marcus Bontempelli (28), Liberatore (28) and Josh Dunkley (27), with Bailey Smith’s six involvements the next best.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/e2640dd699edaebf67fc3daf9fa84355

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd play as a forward not as a midfielder though.

I only see Bolton and Grigg as sort term fixes and it is only for the teams with weak midfields which is not us.

excellent ball users and quick forwards are the two thing I see adding to our current mix to improve us.

Could get around hirst especially if he has speed. Its the biggest deficiency in our list imo.
As I said he did break Stephen Hill's agility test record twice coming off a knee injury. You need natural burst speed to run a test like that.

Cleaver is the other one that has the athletic traits (2.91 over the 20, 80cm running VJ, 68 SVJ, 7.87 agility run).

Hirst is the one with the mongrel and the runs on the board though.

Could get around hirst especially if he has speed. Its the biggest deficiency in our list imo.
Provided he can play immediately. Long term, we look pretty sorted for adding speed to our list with the additions of Richards, Smith, Cavarra and Vandermeer in the last 2 years

Provided he can play immediately. Long term, we look pretty sorted for adding speed to our list with the additions of Richards, Smith, Cavarra and Vandermeer in the last 2 years

Hirst would fit the manic small forward role for us. Sort of player who always is breathing down the neck of the opposition. Different type of player to those boys.

Hirst would fit the manic small forward role for us. Sort of player who always is breathing down the neck of the opposition. Different type of player to those boys.
Isn't that basically what we wanted to get out of Cavarra though? The extremely agile small?

He'd play as a forward not as a midfielder though.
He'd play both areas, just like he did in 2017, just like Wallis is doing now.

I only see Bolton and Grigg as sort term fixes and it is only for the teams with weak midfields which is not us.
Grigg kicked 6 goals in the SANFL Grand Final.

From the pre-season draft, we should be looking to bring in guys who can come in and play; that's exactly what it's for. We have ample opportunity to look at the 19-20 year olds at the end of the year.

He'd play both areas, just like he did in 2017, just like Wallis is doing now.

Grigg kicked 6 goals in the SANFL Grand Final.

From the pre-season draft, we should be looking to bring in guys who can come in and play; that's exactly what it's for. We have ample opportunity to look at the 19-20 year olds at the end of the year.

Not really. Maybe for some sides with terrible depth but other sides would be courting the better younger players. Look at it this way a team with good depth could have grabbed English in his draft year and so pretty much got a 1st round draft pick and 12 year player for next to nothing.

Not really. Maybe for some sides with terrible depth but other sides would be courting the better younger players. Look at it this way a team with good depth could have grabbed English in his draft year and so pretty much got a 1st round draft pick and 12 year player for next to nothing.
Reality check: the only players eligible to be drafted pre-season are players who have been OVERLOOKED in one or more previous drafts. Courting? Please.

The point of the mid-season draft is to give clubs an opportunity to fill gaps left by long-term injuries and retirements. Liam Picken was a best 22, ready-made player, so it is not a stretch to suggest we should be looking to replace him with another ready-made player, rather than a 19-20 year old who is unlikely to play AFL this year.

Reality check: the only players eligible to be drafted pre-season are players who have been OVERLOOKED in one or more previous drafts. Courting? Please.

The point of the mid-season draft is to give clubs an opportunity to fill gaps left by long-term injuries and retirements. Liam Picken was a best 22, ready-made player, so it is not a stretch to suggest we should be looking to replace him with another ready-made player, rather than a 19-20 year old who is unlikely to play AFL this year.

English was 19 when he was drafted. He would have been eligible for a midseason draft if it had existed back then.

Teams with depth in an area aren't going to go out and recruit an older mature aged player who has eight or nine guys ahead of him from the start. That is what we are doing if we recruit a mature age midfielder when we have Hunter, Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley, Wallis, Smith, McLean, Richards and guys like Gowers and Lloyd pushing up the ground at times too. Not to mention we took Hayes as a mature age player and Lipinski is killing it in the VFL.

I'd entertain a mature key defender IF they where clearly better than those we have already and going off the VFL I saw last year there aren't any there. If there isn't one around go for a younger player in an area of need.

No it's not a stretch to suggest that. But it's not what I'd do.

We managed all of last year without Picken (admittedly not very well) but we're going pretty well for medium-smalls / forwards so far in 2019 and we do have some promising types in case of injuries to medium-small players. None as good as him of course, but neither are the players we're likely to pick up in the MSD. So if we get an established player who is in form he will be at or about the level of Lipinski, Williams, Dale, Greene, Cavarra, Lynch, Hayes etc. Some of those we haven't even had a chance to try yet (eg Cavarra, Hayes) while others are banging down the door for a spot (Lipinski being the most obvious). I think it's a less than 50/50 chance that any established midfielder we brought in would be ahead of the best medium-smalls already in the queue for a game.

Instead I'd be looking at a KPP. We know they are hard to identify at age 18 unless they are an outright star in which case you'd need a top 10 pick (eg Ben and Max King, Aaron Naughton). However we also know they can develop more slowly before becoming stars (e.g. Ben Brown). Once they have shown a bit though, they are like gold ... and it's very hard (and usually costly) to get them off some other club's list. So each year I'd be looking at turning over 1-2 of these types that were passed over until we hit pay dirt. It didn't work with rookieing Mullenger-McHugh (as an example) but it was certainly worth a shot. I'd be happy with a 1 in 10 strike rate because once you've found a star you have probably got a member of your spine for the next 10 years. I'd have no problems with them only playing VFL this year. I see it as part of a longer term strategy.

Failing that I'd be happy with a high production, quick and aggressive small forward like Hirst. We've been scouting for one of those for a while, but I imagine Cavarra would still get first crack at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back