List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it time to start looking at the top end of the draft this year? Was hoping for a pick around 9-10, but now an expecting more like 5-6. Lachie Young's brother looks alright and could be in that range

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Corey Gault could be a goer. Ruck/fwd. Been playing well for swan districts.
Average 15 Dis, 6 Mks, 17 Hitouts.
Has kicked a couple of bags too apparently.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Righto. What does it mean for those that weren’t tested ? Can they still be drafted ?

What are those two like as key position players ? Any vision anywhere ?
I believe Riccardi has kicked 13 goals from 7 games this season, although that's mostly off the back of maybe 3 really good games and 4 fairly quiet ones. Not sure he's anything to get too excited over, especially since his last few games have been quite poor

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Righto. What does it mean for those that weren’t tested ? Can they still be drafted ?

What are those two like as key position players ? Any vision anywhere ?
Doesn't effect drafting just means that certain clubs wanted to have a good hard look at them.

Mayo is quick, agile and has very good endurance and has a big leg on him. Won the goal kicking in the Colts last year with 50 odd goals. Has a fair bit to work with.

Riccardi is a bit less athletic but a bit bigger in a similar sort of mould.

Both are a bit raw but have more tools than some of the others I've seen being mentioned on the other thread to be long term players.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I believe Riccardi has kicked 13 goals from 7 games this season, although that's mostly off the back of maybe 3 really good games and 4 fairly quiet ones. Not sure he's anything to get too excited over, especially since his last few games have been quite poor
These two if drafted get picked because they don't have a lack of either speed or agility like other KPFs in the state leagues and are still young. Both move very well for players their size.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dylan Williams is shaping up to be this year's Rozee (possibly even better). With how our season is going, it's looking likely we'll have a pick in the 6-8 range, which may just be enough to snag him. Forward with genuine x-factor, a great kick, good mark and even kicked 14 goals in 3 games during last year's TAC cup finals series. We need players like this

Dylan Williams is shaping up to be this year's Rozee (possibly even better). With how our season is going, it's looking likely we'll have a pick in the 6-8 range, which may just be enough to snag him. Forward with genuine x-factor, a great kick, good mark and even kicked 14 goals in 3 games during last year's TAC cup finals series. We need players like this
A Rozee clone is exactly what we need.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A Rozee clone is exactly what we need.
Was desperate to get Rozee last year, but obviously more than happy ending up with Smith.

I've often found that a good indicator for future success is those who perform during the higher pressure "finals" type games, including TAC cup finals and U18 championships. Just look at the winners and runners ups for the Larke medal since 2013. Winners have included Dom Sheed, Josh Schache, Jack Graham, Oscar Allen and Sam Walsh. Runners up have been Kade Kolodjashnij, Toby Nankervis, Isaac Heeney, Ben Keays, Jack Bowes, Nick Blakey and Tarryn Thomas.

The fact that Williams kicked 14 goals in 3 games shows how well this kid can perform

The fact that Williams kicked 14 goals in 3 games shows how well this kid can perform
How does he compare with fellow forward/mid prospect Sam Flanders?
Both seem to capable of playing that forward role.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How does he compare with fellow forward/mid prospect Sam Flanders?
Both seem to capable of playing that forward role.
I won't pretend to be a draft expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

They are different types of players, and I wouldn't say there is a clear standout between them, so honestly can't go wrong with either. I'd say at least one of them will be available at our pick which will be enticing. I'd have Williams ahead of Flanders at this stage, but anything can happen between now and draft day.

If I'm going to try and contrast them, I'd say Flanders has more inside game (bit of a contested bull when he needs to be, and is a decent contested mark) while Williams is more clever on the outside. Flanders has some decent burst speed (not sure what his sustained speed is like) which means he's good on a lead as well as being great with forward pressure.

If we're talking direct comparison (feel free to call me out if anyone feels there's a better player comparison) I'd say Williams is most like a Robbie Gray / Connor Rozee type (two different players, but have seen some similarities to Williams), whereas Flanders has been compared by Chris Doerre (Knightmare) to Christian Petracca. Personally, I would have thought Jake Stringer as a comparison, just with better consistency, although obviously Knightmare is far more knowledgeable on the subject.

Both are known to be great kicks, have enormous ceiling and with a good season could both be competing for Pick 1 (although I still think Rowell/Anderson are the clear top 2 - more like how any of Max King, Bailey Smith, Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius were competing for Pick 1 despite Walsh being the assumed number 1).

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brodie Kemp

1/5/01
193cm/82kg
Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Utility

Because of his size and ability, Kemp can play in most positions on the ground. He's been used as a marking forward, as a tall midfielder who extract the ball, and also across half-back where his vision stands out. Kemp isn't a huge ball-getter, but has plenty of upside and may end up a top-10 selection. Kemp is athletic and moves well, and is a player who could rocket up the ranks with a strong carnival.

Going early !

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brodie Kemp

1/5/01
193cm/82kg
Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Utility

Because of his size and ability, Kemp can play in most positions on the ground. He's been used as a marking forward, as a tall midfielder who extract the ball, and also across half-back where his vision stands out. Kemp isn't a huge ball-getter, but has plenty of upside and may end up a top-10 selection. Kemp is athletic and moves well, and is a player who could rocket up the ranks with a strong carnival.

Going early !
Sounds like how Bontempelli was described in his draft year ;)

Depending on how we go in the trade period for picking up a young KPD, might be a consideration for us, especially if Will Gould is gone by our pick. Besides Lewis Young, haven't really got any young KPDs on the list (unless you count Naughton/Gardner who both look to be playing forward this week)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it wrong to want Flanders just for that name?
tenor.gif

Will Gould from SA looks about the only one worth it towards the top end of the draft
He seems more mid sized to me, a Dale Morris type with footskills.

I actually think our defence would be ok if our mids put more pressure on the ball carrier. If we take our chances in front of goal we go into a few games with a half time buffer (e.g. vs North, West Coast) instead of behind. We need to find someone who can take those chances because the current rule changes make an effective forwardline more important than in recent seasons.

Back