List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd like to see his reasoning for it. My best guess is he views Maginness as the next best mid at the pick and wanted a mid.

Robertson pick was a bit more of a reach for mine.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maginness at Pick 8 - people are taking the piss with their picks already
Plenty of draft watchers have different opinions about players and the same thing happens in the actual draft. Some of these selections become justified after being seen as reaches or wierd at the time.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Plenty of draft watchers have different opinions about players and the same thing happens in the actual draft. Some of these selections become justified after being seen as reaches or wierd at the time.
The problem is that there are so, so, so many other players who have easily outperformed Maginness and would be more logical choices. Even Schoenberg from SA, who was barely on people's radars prior to the champs, would have been a more understandable choice at Pick 8. Also with Ash, Stephens, Flanders, McAsey, Taylor and Gould still available, I'm leaning towards that pick just being trolling.

I can understand having a different opinion to an extent (like Carlton rating Stocker at 6 when everyone else had him late teens) but Maginness is barely a top 30 pick, let alone top 10

The problem is that there are so, so, so many other players who have easily outperformed Maginness and would be more logical choices. Even Schoenberg from SA, who was barely on people's radars prior to the champs, would have been a more understandable choice at Pick 8. Also with Ash, Stephens, Flanders, McAsey, Taylor and Gould still available, I'm leaning towards that pick just being trolling.

I can understand having a different opinion to an extent (like Carlton rating Stocker at 6 when everyone else had him late teens) but Maginness is barely a top 30 pick, let alone top 10
Doedee was a reach too. Sometimes a recruiter just has to go with what they see. Opinion not only varies but changes so much over the year.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is your opinion. Of the rankings around 2 rankings have him top 10, 2 more top 20 and the rest around 20 to 30. It is all the opinion of the different individuals.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doedee was a reach too. Sometimes a recruiter just has to go with what they see. Opinion not only varies but changes so much over the year.
Sydney reached for a running half back (Matt Ling) two years back a pick before we took Richards too. It all comes down to the opinion of the particular people making the picks and they are all different.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is your opinion. Of the rankings around 2 rankings have him top 10, 2 more top 20 and the rest around 20 to 30. It is all the opinion of the different individuals.
Outside top 30 was slight exaggeration, he seems to be in the 20s for most I've seen. Can't say I've seen anyone ranking him above top 15, and no major rankings with him inside the top 20 (from what I've seen anyway).
I just don't see anything special in Maginness - every good trait he has, someone else does better. I just see nothing elite about him, whereas I can for basically every other top 10 prospect

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Outside top 30 was slight exaggeration, he seems to be in the 20s for most I've seen. Can't say I've seen anyone ranking him above top 15, and no major rankings with him inside the top 20 (from what I've seen anyway).

I just don't see anything special in Maginness - every good trait he has, someone else does better. I just see nothing elite about him, whereas I can for basically every other top 10 prospect

What people see in players also varies from person to person. That is why the actual draft can seem to go wierd at some stages and people say why wasn't x picked up or why did we pick y and not x and why after the second round the owl picks start coming in.

I know what I’m doing. ;)
Been draft watching for a lot longer than most on these boards so I respect your opinion mate.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Best KPD in the draft Fischer McAsey is a Dogs fan. New favourite player ;)
Reckon he'd be related to Darren McAsey who I played junior footy with at Spotswood back in the early 80s, who went on to play a few seasons at South Melbourne/Sydney Swans ( back in the days of residential zoning). From memory his old man had a few games at Footscray back in the 50s/60s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would like to add Kemp but will probably be gone by our pick. He could add a point of difference to our midfield or go forward or back.
Failing that I reckon McAsey trade up to get Elijah Taylor and hopefully secure Sam De Koning with a 3rd as a project KPD

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Caleb Serong would be a good fit for us I think, forward nous & the ability to also play through the midfield. Possibly gone by our pick though (who really knows), not keen on Kemp anyway.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Caleb Serong would be a good fit for us I think, forward nous & the ability to also play through the midfield. Possibly gone by our pick though (who really knows), not keen on Kemp anyway.
The guys who are rated around Pick 3-7 could really end up going in any order. Seems like there's an upper tier (below Rowell, Anderson and Green) of:
  • Brodie Kemp
  • Lachlan Ash
  • Hayden Young
  • Sam Flanders
  • Caleb Serong
Then you have the likes of Will Gould, Fischer McAsey and Deven Robertson just below them. Plus guys like Liam Henry, Harry Schoenberg, Jeremy Sharp, Dylan Williams and Cam Taheny could all end up within that top 10. It's really hard to pick the order right now outside the top 3, and we could see someone like Sam Flanders being taken at Pick 4, or sliding all the way to Pick 15.

Thinking of our needs, I'd think we end up with one of Serong, McAsey or Williams, depending on whether we trade down or if someone bolts up the rankings

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't believe nobody's talking up Lachlan Ash on here. Apparently the fastest of the top prospects, and an excellent ball user who takes the game on. Sounds perfect for us.
My worry is how capable he'd be outside of defence. If he can't play on a wing or up forward, then I feel we're ending up with another Ed Richards, which would be great, but not exactly a pressing need. I think there are more immediate needs, and unless we rate him extremely high on the board and simply can't pass on him, then I think we'd be more likely to select someone like McAsey (the only high rated KPD besides Gould) or a forward, since they are all pretty hard to seperate

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have McAsey, Dylan Stephens, Taylor and Flanders as the four I'd like if we had a pick around 10.

Really like Stephens as a player but not for us. Get the impressions he’s a great accumulator but not overly damaging, hardly a style of player we’re crying out for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back