List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott didn't get invited to any of the combine testing so I find it unlikely he'll get picked up this year.
Did a bad hammy just prior to the VFL finals series, one of the main reasons we went out in straight sets in my
opinion, but you could be right. Pick 53 just feels like a mature player to me with Dickson 87 and Lloyd 90 set
closer to the end than the start.

Next years draft is ruined by too many academy prospects dominating the early rounds. Clubs will be after points and not mid round picks.
I agree.

I just thought, because of next years compromised draft, there would be more teams looking at taking extra selections this year.

Our problem is we’ve loaded up on young talent the last three drafts, and brought in quite a few players in the last two trade periods, we now have a serious list squeeze going on where we’ve traded out and delisted some of our genuine depth.

Scott didn't get invited to any of the combine testing so I find it unlikely he'll get picked up this year.
Could that just be because he is injured?

Anyway we don't need him tested. We know what he can and can't do so if we are considering drafting him it might be better that he's not on display.

That's assuming he has nominated himself, of course. I think he didn't nominate for the MSD this year so we didn't have the option. No doubt the club would have had a quiet word with him if we want him on our list.

Did a bad hammy just prior to the VFL finals series, one of the main reasons we went out in straight sets in my
opinion, but you could be right. Pick 53 just feels like a mature player to me with Dickson 87 and Lloyd 90 set
closer to the end than the start.
Have a few kids I'd like to have a crack on there too. Josh Honey would be a good fit imo. Has the Xfactor we need.

Could that just be because he is injured?

Anyway we don't need him tested. We know what he can and can't do so if we are considering drafting him it might be better that he's not on display.

That's assuming he has nominated himself, of course. I think he didn't nominate for the MSD this year so we didn't have the option. No doubt the club would have had a quiet word with him if we want him on our list.
If we pick him up it will be as a rookie like we did with Gowers rather than a ND pick.

I agree.

I just thought, because of next years compromised draft, there would be more teams looking at taking extra selections this year.

Our problem is we’ve loaded up on young talent the last three drafts, and brought in quite a few players in the last two trade periods, we now have a serious list squeeze going on where we’ve traded out and delisted some of our genuine depth.
Richmond have Picks 19, 38, 39 and 41 as their first four picks all I can say is good luck finding quality at those
numbers, I managed, but it was painful.

Have a few kids I'd like to have a crack on there too. Josh Honey would be a good fit imo. Has the Xfactor we need.
Was not on my list even, but he is now, certainly in the range of our second pick. Like the kick it first attitude
where would you see him playing as he seems to hit the scoreboard quite regularly ?

I'm really hoping Sokol lasts to our Pick 53. He fills a hole needing to be filled in our side when Dickson departs. We really don't have many decent, proven medium forwards right now. Bailey Dale looks the goods, but there's nothing past that. Gowers dropped to VFL quality (hoping he rebounds, but who knows), it seems the coaches want Wallis playing midfield rather than forward despite looking alright there, and Greene is entirely unproven and may not amount to anything.

How about Schache playing that role? he's not medium but can sure kick it straight like Dickson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the same feeling about jeremy sharp , anyone elses thoughts on him

He's a massive seagull. I think it was champion data that mentioned there's a high failure rate on players with a lower than 30% contested possession count which is a pretty bad sign for Sharp. Only 23% of his possessions were contested. Not sure he likes to do the defensive things much at all as well.

Personally, I hope we don't go anywhere near him with our first pick.

He's a massive seagull. I think it was champion data that mentioned there's a high failure rate on players with a lower than 30% contested possession count which is a pretty bad sign for Sharp. Only 23% of his possessions were contested. Not sure he likes to do the defensive things much at all as well.

Like Robert Murphy you mean, takes all types, but you are right the game has changed a bit.

Coo

Cool thanks im not a seagull fan i like my birds a bit dirtier im hoping Robertson can slide then

Will Gould.

We have our own and Essendons 2020 third round picks.

We currently have to many picks for this draft.

The club has talked about packaging 16 and 21 to move up in to the top 12 picks. But I’m not sure we’ll find a buyer.

Pick 13. Bulldogs
Pick 14. Geelong
Pick 15. Gold Coast
Pick 16. Brisbane

The concern for the Lions is if Gold Coast keep their pick 15, they’re likely to select Will Gould.

The talk is the Bulldogs are strongly interested in Cody Weightman, and neither Geelong or Gold Coast are likely to select a small forward with their mid teens picks.

Definitely not Gold Coast, as they’ll be prelisting two in Connor Budarick and Malcolm Rosas as part of their draft concessions.

Otherwise if we keep hold of 16 and Gould is off the board, we probably look at Miles Bergman.

Picks 16 and 34 feels like a little overs for just moving up 3 spots, but we’re already trying to trade pick 34 for a future 2020 second round pick, so it’s a pick for sale.

Pick 34 possibly puts you in the range of Elijah Taylor if he slides a little on draft night. (Talk is he has similar issues in WA as Sydney Stack had, and getting out of WA might be the best thing for him. But he would need to be at a club with a strong indigenous welfare program).

Otherwise you’re probably looking at a couple of small forwards being available in Kysiah Pickett (a more athletic version of Caleb Daniel) or Jack Mahony from Sandringham, or developing talls such as Sam De Koning, and a few of the SA and WA second and third tall type defenders.
I'm pretty sure the talk that we are into Weightman came on the back of an off-hand comment from Twomey that has been repeated until it's become fact. Not saying it's not the case, as he gets good info and might have been leaking it, but it's nowhere near as solid as people are making out.

There's an expectation that we'll only be taking two live picks at the draft, so I could see 13 and 51 for 16 and 34 being a possibility. Otherwise I'd be hoping we were asking for your two third rounders next year, as both will likely be mid to late.

16 and 34 could grab us Worrell or Bergman or a slider, and Kysiah Pickett, which is a nice prospect.

Last edited:
Like Robert Murphy you mean, takes all types, but you are right the game has changed a bit.

Yep, which is why Scott Clayton leaving to go to the Gold Coast was the best thing that ever happened to us.
While he drafted Murphy, directly after that he took Jordy McMahon and our now list manager Sam Power in the first round. The list goes on.

Cool thanks im not a seagull fan i like my birds a bit dirtier im hoping Robertson can slide then

I rate Robertson highly too. Doesn't fit our needs, but he would probably be the best available. Freo should surely grab him, great replacement for Lachie Neale.

16 and 34 could grab us Worrell or a slider, and Kysiah Pickett, which is a nice prospect.
I dont think we give up 13 unless its big overs as i feel thats where there is a a drop off in talent just after in my opinion

I rate Robertson highly too. Doesn't fit our needs, but he would probably be the best available. Freo should surely grab him, great replacement for Lachie Neale.
I feel the same ,if he can gets past them we are a chance and i think we will take best available even if say weightman and mcasey are there

Yep, which is why Scott Clayton leaving to go to the Gold Coast was the best thing that ever happened to us.
While he drafted Murphy, directly after that he took Jordy McMahon and our now list manager Sam Power in the first round. The list goes on.
That's fair, I think it still is all about balance though as long as the list does not have too many of the one type
you could say it's just as bad playing Daniel Cross on the wing and having inside players clogging up the forward
half of the ground. I did not have access to his contested % statistics when I picked him not that it would have
affected my opinion of his attributes outside as they are. Just sleep well knowing it is not me who has our pick.

Just sleep well knowing it is not me who has our pick.

Weirdly reminds me of the other night, when I didn't sleep well because I was dreaming that I had the pick and had to enter it into a malfunctioning iPad. (In good news I think my dream self got us McAsey.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back