List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find dumping 2020 points to take a small, mostly inside mid with an ACL to be a questionable choice on the face of it, but I'll back the scouts in on him. Overall a very successful main list turnover. The balance of our roster is markedly different and that's a big win.
I was liking him with West Coast's Pick 46, and thought they would actually go for him since they could afford to wait a year for him to recover. He is very highly rated in the West, so not a bad speculative late pick in my opinion. Nothing to get excited over since it's a risk (and not a huge area of need) but very low risk, high reward type of player

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lowson would have been a good late pickup, but also I would have had to show up with a pair of heavy duty shears and personally cut his hair, so I'm okay with us not taking him.

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
+ two genuine mature KPPs during trade period. We've added two very important pieces of the puzzle in our off season.

I'll be honest, I'm very happy with our trade period and a bit meh on the draft but last year I knew nothing of Young or Vandermeer and was happy with the signs both of those guys showed last year.
We nailed the trade period, but i still think we could of added some more physical
+ two genuine mature KPPs during trade period. We've added two very important pieces of the puzzle in our off season.

I'll be honest, I'm very happy with our trade period and a bit meh on the draft but last year I knew nothing of Young or Vandermeer and was happy with the signs both of those guys showed last year.
We killed it in the trade period... super stoked with powers efforts.
But skill side aside, we drafted 3 young kids with an average height of 178 cm and an average weight of 72 kgs.
Now caleb is firmly entrenched in the squad, how many more slight kids can we play without some serious match up problems start to form across the ground.

Richmond has a couple of small dudes but they have a lot of big mature bodies.
This is who we have to go though to get the cup.

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is true but we drafted in keath and Bruce for that. Also the likes of Libba and Wallace should be fit next year. I would rather trade in older AFL players then older VFL players as they are sometimes hit and miss and you don’t know how they will go in AFL
I thought we have done really well in this department. 2 premiership players were older vfl players(Dicko and picko) and 3 mature age cast offs. (Wood, biggs and hamling)

Speed, marking power and kicking skills were the things we lacked. Have we addressed these needs?
Bruce = marking power. 4th in contested marks in the competition. No 1 is a 20 year old kid called Aaron who goes ok. Keath is an excellent intercept player and is our best KPD instantly.

Our F50 should be stacked for marking power - Naughton and Bruce are elite contested marks, Schache should be taller than anyone he matches up on, Dale can find space and Weightman is a decent grab for his height.

TBH I still feel the second wing spot is the biggest question leading into 2020.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He reads it well, but does not have the same dynamic as Naughton athletically.
True but I would be happy for him to play in our backline and leave naughts forward for the rest of his career. Haha I got high hopes for the kid but time will tell how he turns out

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lachie Young has to be added to that list. I really rate him. If JJ is a mid-sized defender, so is Ed Richards who has played his best football behind the ball. Ditto Bailey Williams.
I get that we have younger guys as defensive depth, but that's not the point I am making.

Clearly with all of our first choice midsize defenders from last year's final being 26-31, they will start to leave our list in the next few years. Probably Suckers this year, Wood in 2021 and Duryea in 2-3 years.

Some of the 2019 depth guys like La Young and Williams will fill some of that void, some depth like Lynch, R.Smith,vKhamis won't.

Either way, the seeming big depth pool of 2019 will recede in the coming years without replenishment.

Next year, we probably take 3 forward/mids in Jamarra, MacPherson and Raak.

From this point of view, considering how the list may look in 2-3 years, it surprises me that people were melting that 1 of our 5 recruits would be a guy who has predominantly played as a mid defender.

Speed, marking power and kicking skills were the things we lacked. Have we addressed these needs?
I reckon we did
Butler is a speedy half back that will become a winger
Garica is a quick x-factor forward that can win the ball
Weightman plays like a quicker Dickson/Lloyd

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah I'm shocked....6 in a grand final and leading goal kicker in the WAFL.
Dicko replacement?
Honestly reckon if Dale hadn't exploded in form, we might have looked at him. As you said, he's such an ideal long term replacement for Dickson, and would be ready to play round 1

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Honestly reckon if Dale hadn't exploded in form, we might have looked at him. As you said, he's such an ideal long term replacement for Dickson, and would be ready to play round 1
Yep we need more mature bodies on top of bruce and keath ready to play, rather than bringing in more young kids. We have enough kids developing in the magoos.
We made the top 8, we should be making moves to challenge the tigers for the premership.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
TBH I still feel the second wing spot is the biggest question leading into 2020.
I think we should play JJ there, haven't really seen him in that role much yet he has the required attributes and can kick a long goal too from outside 50. Play someone else as off the back flank, we have plenty of competition for that role as it is.

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
No room for Cat A rookies. We didn't delist any and already had a full complement.

Nothing formal has been published, but it appears Khamis must be entering 2020 as a Cat B rookie, because we'd otherwise have too many already if he wasn't.

Thanks, that's a shame... We always seem to grab a decent rookie out of the draft.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we should play JJ there, haven't really seen him in that role much yet he has the required attributes and can kick a long goal too from outside 50. Play someone else as off the back flank, we have plenty of competition for that role as it is.
I agree, but my only concern is that it could restrict how much we can take advantage of his insane rebounds. Either way, one of JJ or Richards seems destined for that wing this year. I feel both play better behind the ball, but would prefer JJ on the wing as I think Richards struggled to adapt to the wing/half forward role when asked to in 2019

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep we need more mature bodies on top of bruce and keath ready to play, rather than bringing in more young kids. We have enough kids developing in the magoos.
We made the top 8, we should be making moves to challenge the tigers for the premership.
I'd expect a few of our second tier midfielders to be looking elsewhere next year - especially guys like McLean. Should be looking to turn that into more experienced bodies and not wasting the opportunity by drafting more youth. Still a year away though, plenty can happen in 2020 and I think we're every chance to win it all this year with the additions of Keath and Bruce, which makes me confident that every single game next year is winnable

Back