2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he is.

Quite a few of us campaigning for the Lions to draft Tom Berry for two years.

Now we’ll start on Sam.

We’re all for uniting talented brothers and best friends here at the Lions. We’re a family club after all.
Do you know much about him Briz? Is he similar to Alex, in the same position, is his kick as good as his bros?

Do you know much about him Briz? Is he similar to Alex, in the same position, is his kick as good as his bros?
Sweet FA. Just came across his name when reading a preview for the Geelong Falcons.

The preview mentioned he was one of a couple of their talented underagers who would be starting the season injured.

I know he is.

Quite a few of us campaigning for the Lions to draft Tom Berry for two years.

Now we’ll start on Sam.

We’re all for uniting talented brothers and best friends here at the Lions. We’re a family club after all.

Fair enough it was just a friendly FYI , maybe I mistinterpreted your thread title.:thumbsu:

While Im here is it OK to ask ..what the story with Lewy Taylor ..cant get a game? Injured?

Fair enough it was just a friendly FYI , maybe I mistinterpreted your thread title.:thumbsu:

While Im here is it OK to ask ..what the story with Lewy Taylor ..cant get a game? Injured?
Players are infront of him. He has too many deficiencies at the moment, he is very small and he can't tackle. He is probably up against McCarthy and McCarthy is very much infront of him

Players are infront of him. He has too many deficiencies at the moment, he is very small and he can't tackle. He is probably up against McCarthy and McCarthy is very much infront of him

We've clearly gone for more defensively minded people to have a role on the wing too (e.g. Robbo, Basti) which is the other place he has had a bit of playing time previously.

Pretty much what a mayes ing has said. Under Fagan now, if you want to get a game, you need to play both ways and put in as much defensive pressure as you offer in offensive options.

Im so glad you said "at the moment". I have no doubt he can rectify these deficiencies and fight his way back into this team. Still young enough to do so and when he does develop that all round game in attack as well as defence he will be a nightmare for opposition. I think him, cutler, n robbo and possibly bundy as well have been given their areas of improvement to work on and their challenge now is to do so. Basti did it, matho did it, they can too. We will have terrific depth when they do. The difference this year is that there is now competition for positions all over the park. Those named are deffinately in our best 30, and will be important over the course of the year.

And Jack Payne the year before. Not sure why we keep taking players with a history of long term injuries.
We have a pretty good history of getting them right.

We did it at the trade table last year as well, I know it's very early but Lincoln McCarthy looks like he going to be fantastic for us. If we can get Marcus Adams right he'll be a great addition also.

We have a pretty good history of getting them right.

We did it at the trade table last year as well, I know it's very early but Lincoln McCarthy looks like he going to be fantastic for us. If we can get Marcus Adams right he'll be a great addition also.

Im talking about drafting kids with injuries not trading players in from other clubs. Hopefully they all end up being 10 year players.

Im talking about drafting kids with injuries not trading players in from other clubs. Hopefully they all end up being 10 year players.
Berryx2, Witherden, Answerth, Joyce, even Skinner.

Our recruiters have a history of drafting kids who have slid in the draft due to injuries in their draft year.

It’s just not kids from our academy.

Even Mathieson slipped in his draft, but that was due to a terrible beep test at the draft combine, where he ran a 13 something beep test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we ruled out any draftees who have been injured it would have a big impact on the players available.

Berryx2, Witherden, Answerth, Joyce, even Skinner.

Our recruiters have a history of drafting kids who have slid in the draft due to injuries in their draft year.

It’s just not kids from our academy.

Even Mathieson slipped in his draft, but that was due to a terrible beep test at the draft combine, where he ran a 13 something beep test.
Robertson and Cutler as well iirc

We tend to target draftees who have missed a chunk of time via injury and have thus fallen down the draft order. We are typically pretty hot on these players in their underage year and are happy to take a punt with a lower pick. Many teams, not just us find good value drafting this way. That isnt to say that is all we do.. but i think it maximises the later pick risk/reward payoff.

It seems an obvious tactic to me (and one which is starting to pay off), have faith in your system to get these kids injuries right along with their regular development as players and you get higher tier talent for cheaper.

Say you have pick 45, do you take a top 20 player who has slid due to an injury in their draft year, or a player rated at that level who probably has a lower ceiling?

Great stuff from The Egg Beater.

What sort of player is he briz?
Winger who can win his own ball. Offers good run on the outside, without that top line speed.

Something else from the game versus the Suns Academy, was that Wischnat was played in the middle as a contested mid. Possibly trying to develop him in to that hybrid big bodied mid slash mid sized forward.

I'm not sure if Wischnat makes the Allies squad for the U18 Nationals. He wasn't picked in the initial Allies Academy. It's possible that was a deliberate strategy to give him a kick up the backside to work harder (pure speculation on my behalf).

There are three highly rated contested mids in the various Allies academies and teams. Tom Green from GWS, O'Neill from Tas, both potential top 10, and Syd underage mid Gulden who might be better than both Green and O'Neill.

Add in the smaller Gold Coast mids, and there probably isn't a spot in the Allies midfield for Wischnat.

Winger who can win his own ball. Offers good run on the outside, without that top line speed.

Something else from the game versus the Suns Academy, was that Wischnat was played in the middle as a contested mid. Possibly trying to develop him in to that hybrid big bodied mid slash mid sized forward.

I'm not sure if Wischnat makes the Allies squad for the U18 Nationals. He wasn't picked in the initial Allies Academy. It's possible that was a deliberate strategy to give him a kick up the backside to work harder (pure speculation on my behalf).

There are three highly rated contested mids in the various Allies academies and teams. Tom Green from GWS, O'Neill from Tas, both potential top 10, and Syd underage mid Gulden who might be better than both Green and O'Neill.

Add in the smaller Gold Coast mids, and there probably isn't a spot in the Allies midfield for Wischnat.

Still waiting for that gun academy mid. Gun talls so far and Tozer to come but not that out and out gun mid like Heeney or Mills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back