2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Allies squad has been announced: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/draft-hopeful-plays-weighting-game-as-allies-unveil-u18-squad

Interesting that Tozer has been included, does anyone know if he is at all close to playing?

Brisbane Lions Academy

Tom Griffiths (Maroochydore)

Will Martyn (Aspley)

Bruce Reville (Western Magpies/Maryborough)

Saxon Crozier (Wests)

Samson Ryan (Toowoomba)

Kobe Tozer (Aspley/Bribie Island)

Noah Cumberland (Maroochydore)

Nikolas Haberer (Sandgate/Caloundra)

Article on courier mail about it: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/360f0118935625ed9eeeb37ffc478bd0

Allies squad has been announced: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/draft-hopeful-plays-weighting-game-as-allies-unveil-u18-squad

Interesting that Tozer has been included, does anyone know if he is at all close to playing?

Brisbane Lions Academy

Tom Griffiths (Maroochydore)

Will Martyn (Aspley)

Bruce Reville (Western Magpies/Maryborough)

Saxon Crozier (Wests)

Samson Ryan (Toowoomba)

Kobe Tozer (Aspley/Bribie Island)

Noah Cumberland (Maroochydore)

Nikolas Haberer (Sandgate/Caloundra)

Article on courier mail about it: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/360f0118935625ed9eeeb37ffc478bd0
Because he's part of the initial Allies academy he's automatically included in the squad, regardless if he's injured or not. The same occurred with the Vic Country squad where Geelong's Cooper Stephens was selected, even though he has a broken leg and is not expected to return until after the U18 Championships.

Because he's part of the initial Allies academy he's automatically included in the squad, regardless if he's injured or not. The same occurred with the Vic Country squad where Geelong's Cooper Stephens was selected, even though he has a broken leg and is not expected to return until after the U18 Championships.

I think Tozer is back running for the first time since Christmas by the sounds at training but not kicking etc. I wouldn’t think he would play at the champs. Running out of time to be anywhere near fit enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Will Martyn the only one of those guys that are likely to be bid on?

Can't over age academy guys play in the championships? ie. Kiedean Coleman, I'm assuming he will be bid on.

Is Will Martyn the only one of those guys that are likely to be bid on?

Can't over age academy guys play in the championships? ie. Kiedean Coleman, I'm assuming he will be bid on.
I would imagine so.

Have had some brief discussions on the D&T board about the Lions academy kids. Only other kid spoken about as a potential late pick or rookie pick was Samson Ryan.

Chris Johnson's son is a news story again. Apparently they don't live in Essendon's NGA zone anymore but he is still eligible for them!

I'm pretty sure GWS lost access to a player on the basis that the family moved out of the zone - maybe Todd Marshall?

Story in the Hun: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/f88c8e8067fdbf8c91bf0ef150f2f426

Quotes:

Brisbane are furious Essendon could swoop on father-son Lachlan Johnson ahead of them despite him living outside the Bombers’ next generation academy zone in his draft-eligible year.

But triple premiership star Johnson yesterday defended his son’s right to consider the Bombers after being part of their academy for three years.

He told the Herald Sun he would leave it up to his son to decide whether to nominate as a Brisbane father-son or Essendon indigenous next generation academy player.

The Johnsons moved from Brisbane to Westmeadows in 2010, with Calder Cannon Lachlan Johnson signed up as an Essendon academy member just before his 14th birthday.

Last year the Johnsons moved to Kew, with Lachlan this year moving to the Oakleigh Chargers to save himself a lengthy commute.

Rival clubs are filthy that another player has been taken out of the draft pool, with GWS boss David Matthews recently saying Essendon’s claims on him were “either an unintended consequence or complete rubbish”.

They believe it is unfair Brisbane’s father-son rights don’t trump the link to Essendon, which can pick him despite him not still living in that zone.

I would imagine so.

Have had some brief discussions on the D&T board about the Lions academy kids. Only other kid spoken about as a potential late pick or rookie pick was Samson Ryan.

Yeah I spoke with someone recently within the talent pathway who had that opinion. Being a tall bloke helps his case a lot. Pretty decent ruck but only have seen him against people much smaller than himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I spoke with someone recently within the talent pathway who had that opinion. Being a tall bloke helps his case a lot. Pretty decent ruck but only have seen him against people much smaller than himself.

Ryan is a decent athlete but a poor kick, in my view he'll only be picked up by someone looking at him as a long term project.

On another topic, my mail is that there's virtually no chance of Tozer playing any footy this year, he will probably play in the Academy program next year as an over-ager if his knee has recovered.

Hopefully Kobe makes it back, he certainly has the talent to get drafted if he can get his body right.

Unlikely do be drafted and if so it would be as a rookie, hardly anything to get flustered over it’s only because his old man was a champion that it’s even getting noticed.

That's a very fair point - having said that it does raise another issue regarding the NGA rules which seem pretty lax in certain respects compared to northern academy rules. His draft status is probably beside the point in the context of that discussion and the review of NGA/Northern Academy rules.

I don’t really care too much about Johnson but obviously the rules aren’t working and need to be tightened to only include players that would be at a significant disadvantage if not selected in an academy and perhaps father son should trump academies

I don’t really care too much about Johnson but obviously the rules aren’t working and need to be tightened to only include players that would be at a significant disadvantage if not selected in an academy and perhaps father son should trump academies

I appreciate Blakey causes angst for those south of the border but the situation is very different for him vs others - as demonstrated by Johnson having the ability to join Oakleigh Chargers which is a comparable or better development program than any academy.

More generally I wonder how mad people would be down south if a decent GC/Brisbane academy member moved out of the zone to northern NSW (e.g. Tweed Heads) before their draft year but stayed eligible.

I appreciate Blakey causes angst for those south of the border but the situation is very different for him vs others - as demonstrated by Johnson having the ability to join Oakleigh Chargers which is a comparable or better development program than any academy.

More generally I wonder how mad people would be down south if a decent GC/Brisbane academy member moved out of the zone to northern NSW (e.g. Tweed Heads) before their draft year but stayed eligible.

I think the moving but is fine. If they put 3-4 years into a kid only for him to move a year before the draft they should keep him in the academy if they can demonstrate they’ve actually helped develop him.

I think the moving but is fine. If they put 3-4 years into a kid only for him to move a year before the draft they should keep him in the academy if they can demonstrate they’ve actually helped develop him.

I think that would have left Ely Smith eligible for GWS last year, but the northern academy rules don't work like that (as I understand it). Obviously a bit more of a move in his case.

Regardless another good example of how little thought was put into NGA set up.

I think that would have left Ely Smith eligible for GWS last year, but the northern academy rules don't work like that (as I understand it). Obviously a bit more of a move in his case.

Regardless another good example of how little thought was put into NGA set up.
I think 🤔 Jarrod Brander was another one that GWS lost access to due to him moving? Or was that someone else?

I think 🤔 Jarrod Brander was another one that GWS lost access to due to him moving? Or was that someone else?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/clubs-lining-up-after-giants-lose-academy-star

I think that was just due to the AFL removing parts of GWS' zone, but from this article they were asking questions about his living arrangements before then as his parents had properties in Mildura as well as in the zone.

Todd Marshall was ruled ineligible but that was because he'd played soccer and signed up to the academy in his draft year.

EDIT: Todd Marshall did winter cricket tours (not soccer) so didn't play footy for a couple of years.

Himmelberg the younger lost eligibility for GWS after moving up to Brisbane in his draft year and joining our academy.

Another tall prospect, Elliott Himmelberg, is also in the open draft having only moved to Queensland this year. The Redlands player lives in Brisbane's academy zone, but has not resided in Queensland long enough to qualify as a priority selection for the Lions.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-05-17/swans-miss-out-on-davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back