2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll have to put you out to paddock if you keep making jokes like that

I'm sometimes compared to a cow paddock; we're both full of the same thing, apparently.

I like the sound of Young if he can slide to our first pick. Seems very highly rated and is a mid/def which is a nice point of difference with our young midfielders. Most of our high selections in recent years have been the more common mid/fwd type players. We look as though we are trying to turn a couple of those into defenders in Bailey and Starc. Further with guys like Nick Robbo and Cutler looking to be in the outer it just makes sense to grad a highly rated young player with some experience defensively for some balance.

I like the sound of Young if he can slide to our first pick. Seems very highly rated and is a mid/def which is a nice point of difference with our young midfielders. Most of our high selections in recent years have been the more common mid/fwd type players. We look as though we are trying to turn a couple of those into defenders in Bailey and Starc. Further with guys like Nick Robbo and Cutler looking to be in the outer it just makes sense to grad a highly rated young player with some experience defensively for some balance.
Hayden Young?

The Brisbane Lions are preparing for the mid-season draft, even though the club is highly unlikely to have a pick in Monday’s event.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Lions have interviewed 24-year-old Coburg defender Lochie Dickson and former Saint Ray Connellan, while they have also spent time with highly touted draftee Sam Lowson on Thursday.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...m/news-story/3177d2fee983f36d208f81e8bce37308

Maybe Eli Smith will go on the LTI?

The Brisbane Lions are preparing for the mid-season draft, even though the club is highly unlikely to have a pick in Monday’s event.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Lions have interviewed 24-year-old Coburg defender Lochie Dickson and former Saint Ray Connellan, while they have also spent time with highly touted draftee Sam Lowson on Thursday.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...m/news-story/3177d2fee983f36d208f81e8bce37308

Maybe Eli Smith will go on the LTI?

Or Marcus Adams.

I think it would just be our fantastic off field staff doing their due diligence in the event of a unforeseen LTI occurring, they wouldn't want to be caught on the hop if someone went down at the last minute.

I think it would just be our fantastic off field staff doing their due diligence in the event of a unforeseen LTI occurring, they wouldn't want to be caught on the hop if someone went down at the last minute.
Potentially, however, the article says we hired extra casual recruiting staff specifically for the mid season draft. Seems a little strange if we aren't preparing to have a selection. They may decide to put one of Adams or Smith on ice for the year and get them fully prepared for Day 1 of pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially, however, the article says we hired extra casual recruiting staff specifically for the mid season draft. Seems a little strange if we aren't preparing to have a selection. They may decide to put one of Adams or Smith on ice for the year and get them fully prepared for Day 1 of pre season.

Yeah agree with this. You could argue for either or both of Adams & Smith that forgetting about 2019 and getting recovery right is the way to go. I'd be surprised if we don't make use of this draft.

On the bright side for Carlton supporters at least they get to keep pick one for the mid season draft. :p:p

Because all followers of this thread love some good pr0n :cool:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-30/u18-championships-20-young-guns-to-watch

Will Martyn
29/3/01
183cm/73kg
Queensland/Brisbane Lions Academy
Midfielder

A hard-at-it midfield option who should perform well for the Allies. He's a natural ball-winner who led his team's possession count in Sunday's trial game against Vic Metro with 24 disposals and nine tackles. Works hard across the ground and was a standout for the Lions' Academy in its games in the NAB League, averaging 29 disposals and five tackles in five games. Brisbane will get priority access on him at the end of the year under the father-son/Academy bidding system.

Because all followers of this thread love some good pr0n :cool:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-30/u18-championships-20-young-guns-to-watch

Will Martyn
29/3/01
183cm/73kg
Queensland/Brisbane Lions Academy
Midfielder

A hard-at-it midfield option who should perform well for the Allies. He's a natural ball-winner who led his team's possession count in Sunday's trial game against Vic Metro with 24 disposals and nine tackles. Works hard across the ground and was a standout for the Lions' Academy in its games in the NAB League, averaging 29 disposals and five tackles in five games. Brisbane will get priority access on him at the end of the year under the father-son/Academy bidding system.
Not sure where he is likely to go in the draft but Lachie Ash seems to have all of the attributes that we would be chasing and need.
I am sure the club will be keeping a close eye on him this year.

Thinking about our ruck prospects, do we need to start thinking of getting another young development ruck on the list? Probably depends on Martin going around another year or so, but if he does move on then it would be a good idea to look at a third pure ruck (not counting guys like Ballenden who can pinch hit) to have on the list

Thinking about our ruck prospects, do we need to start thinking of getting another young development ruck on the list? Probably depends on Martin going around another year or so, but if he does move on then it would be a good idea to look at a third pure ruck (not counting guys like Ballenden who can pinch hit) to have on the list

I wouldn't be against it.

Not sure where he is likely to go in the draft but Lachie Ash seems to have all of the attributes that we would be chasing and need.
I am sure the club will be keeping a close eye on him this year.
I’ve been talking about Lachie Ash since the beginning of the season.

At the end of last year he was viewed as an early second round prospect, but quickly rose up draft watchers draft boards with his early NAB League performances.

He’s been one of the early season standouts and is viewed as a top 10 and possible top 5 prospect.

I wouldn't be against it.
Yup, I’ve had similar discussions where I’ve raised this.

It possible that by our Collingwood pick, the best prospects on board might be inside mids very similar to Ely Smith, or the best tuck or KPF in the draft.
Oakleigh ruck Nick Bryan is considered the clear standout ruck and has been compared to Tim English in that he offers more around the ground than just a pure tap ruck. Also helps we have two recent draftees from Oakleigh in Noah Answerth and Toby Wooller.

There are very few top end KPP’s in this draft, with most considered 3rd tall types. And apart from SA’s Will Gould, almost all the other top KPD/F’s play for Sandringham.

Charlie Dean at 194cm is viewed as possibly the best KPF in this years draft.

I’ve been talking about Lachie Ash since the beginning of the season.

At the end of last year he was viewed as an early second round prospect, but quickly rose up draft watchers draft boards with his early NAB League performances.

He’s been one of the early season standouts and is viewed as a top 10 and possible top 5 prospect.
Sooo, we would need him to do a Wingard then???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back