2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sooo, we would need him to do a Wingard then???
I'm hoping a few more players step up their games during the U18 Championships and few more names come in to discussion as possible late first round prospects that suit our needs.

There are two half backs and two outside mids who are currently spoken about as possible first round prospects.

Lachie Ash and Hayden Young are the two half backs and are spoken about as top 5 prospects.
Trent Bianco and Jeremy Sharp are considered the two top outside mids, and are rated as early teens prospects.

After these four, we're looking at mids who a very similar to kids we've drafted over the past two drafts, or (very) small or medium forwards, or the KPP's.

Thinking about our ruck prospects, do we need to start thinking of getting another young development ruck on the list? Probably depends on Martin going around another year or so, but if he does move on then it would be a good idea to look at a third pure ruck (not counting guys like Ballenden who can pinch hit) to have on the list
I wouldn't be against it.
Yup, I’ve had similar discussions where I’ve raised this.

It possible that by our Collingwood pick, the best prospects on board might be inside mids very similar to Ely Smith, or the best tuck or KPF in the draft.
Oakleigh ruck Nick Bryan is considered the clear standout ruck and has been compared to Tim English in that he offers more around the ground than just a pure tap ruck. Also helps we have two recent draftees from Oakleigh in Noah Answerth and Toby Wooller.

There are very few top end KPP’s in this draft, with most considered 3rd tall types. And apart from SA’s Will Gould, almost all the other top KPD/F’s play for Sandringham.

Charlie Dean at 194cm is viewed as possibly the best KPF in this years draft.
One caveat I'd have on it if we decided to go down the drafting a pure ruckman would be that we no way use a first round selection on them, too big a gamble for my liking, for every Brodie Grundy there are many more Billy Longer type busts.

Use the first round for elite KPFs or midfielders. I'd prefer late picks for young ruckmen or mature selections from the state leagues or trade in mature rucks from other AFL teams.

One caveat I'd have on it if we decided to go down the drafting a pure ruckman would be that we no way use a first round selection on them, too big a gamble for my liking, for every Brodie Grundy there are many more Billy Longer type busts.

Use the first round for elite KPFs or midfielders. I'd prefer late picks for young ruckmen or mature selections from the state leagues or trade in mature rucks from other AFL teams.
Definitely agree with not a first round pick, more of a late pick option if there is something is available. I dont think its an immediate need for our list but one to keep an eye over maybe the next 2-3 years. If no-one comes up as an option and we get desperate for a ruck then we go down the trade route

What is the difference between the Collingwood pick if they make finals or the Suns second round pick if they finish bottom two?

From my very uneducated view, the mids currently in discussion between 16 and 25 aren’t any better than the kids we’ve drafted in the last two drafts.

There are a few small forward types, KPD and possibly a KPF. If the best ruck from the U18’s is considered the best available talent on board at the Collingwood pick, I wouldn’t have a problem with the selection.

What is the difference between the Collingwood pick if they make finals or the Suns second round pick if they finish bottom two?

From my very uneducated view, the mids currently in discussion between 16 and 25 aren’t any better than the kids we’ve drafted in the last two drafts.

There are a few small forward types, KPD and possibly a KPF. If the best ruck from the U18’s is considered the best available talent on board at the Collingwood pick, I wouldn’t have a problem with the selection.
None, I wouldn't be using a high 2nd round selection on a ruckman either, unless they are one out of the absolute top drawer, you need to put 4-5 years worth of development into them and even then it's a low percentage play IMO. Higher percentage play is the midfielder option and if in the recruiters opinion we have that covered go the KPP route.

None, I wouldn't be using a high 2nd round selection on a ruckman either, unless they are one out of the absolute top drawer, you need to put 4-5 years worth of development into them and even then it's a low percentage play IMO. Higher percentage play is the midfielder option and if in the recruiters opinion we have that covered go the KPP route.

Agreed much rather use it on a mid or speedy wingman. We've burnt too many first round picks on ruckmen

I’m not necessarily opposed to this but I think we’ll see the footy world start to draft ruckmen again pretty soon, given how influential Grundy and Gawn have shown themselves to be. Talent is talent IMO. Almost every footy observer thought Grundy was a top 5 talent but the risk associated with taking a ruck turned them off. More than a few clubs will be regretting that.

I think potentially a bigger reason not to draft rucks is that Qld has developed more ruck sized players than any other type. If that continues, we could probably expect a quality ruck to come off the Academy assembly line at some point, which probably means we don’t need to target rucks from interstate.

The U18 Championships start this Saturday with Vic Country taking on Vic Metro.

With almost every Vic Metro player from either the Oakleigh Chargers or Sandringham Dragons.

In regards to small/medium defenders, watch Ash and Young from Country and Bianco and Butler from Metro.

Bryan in the ruck should dominate for Metro.

Game is on FoxFooty for those that have it.

My prediction is Metro by 6+ goals.

81D75848-A263-4227-B82B-BD07D4A0F632.png

Yep. Big upset win for Country. Good overall team performance. Young, Ash and Cahill impressive.
Was just reading the comments on the draft page.

Thought Vic Metro’s midfield would be the difference, but reports are Serong and Flanders cracked in big time for two smaller inside mids for Vic Country. And Ash and Young tore Vic Metro apart on the rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just reading the comments on the draft page.

Thought Vic Metro’s midfield would be the difference, but reports are Serong and Flanders cracked in big time for two smaller inside mids for Vic Country. And Ash and Young tore Vic Metro apart on the rebound.
Ash one of your favorites briz, looking like we might need the Magpies to bomb out of the finals in straight sets if we are any chance?

Taheny kicked 5 for Norwood in the SANFL last night.
Saw that.

Like I’ve said multiple times, my fear is that the players who really suit our needs are all off the board by our first pick, and the players left are genuinely best player available on board, but we’re stocked at that position already.

Saw that.

Like I’ve said multiple times, my fear is that the players who really suit our needs are all off the board by our first pick, and the players left are genuinely best player available on board, but we’re stocked at that position already.

To paraphrase David Noble "Draft for talent and trade for needs".

Flanders and Ash.

Ash and Young will both be top 6 picks. They have everything teams need from half back, especially with the new rules.
Personally Ash will have to break a couple of National games apart to be considered top 10. As a hbf you need to really stand out IMO and I present Hayden Young as an example. Young was very, very impressive.

I wouldn’t worry about positional need too much, with the amount of player movement there is these days. Just draft for talent, even if it is to a position of comparative strength. It is just too hard to predict 5 years down the track, when you start expecting draftees to hit their peak.

I think potentially a bigger reason not to draft rucks is that Qld has developed more ruck sized players than any other type. If that continues, we could probably expect a quality ruck to come off the Academy assembly line at some point, which probably means we don’t need to target rucks from interstate.

None visible at the moment, unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back