2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pie 4 Life reply when I asked to compare Jarrod Berry and Trent Rivers.

Believe the two would compliment each other in our midfield.

Similar size, I think Berry is more noticeable, but Rivers' kicking around the ground and his movement in tight is terrific. Berry's endurance was terrific and his penetrating kick from outside 50 a real weapon. I think Rivers is more compact in the way he goes about it, but in saying that he has some serious class and does not make a heap of mistakes. Berry would make some clangers at junior level, but would also hit targets from long range. Both are quite versatile though, and Berry more prepared for Year 1 in the AFL, but Rivers is growing into a nice size.

Pie 4 Life reply when I asked to compare Jarrod Berry and Trent Rivers.

Believe the two would compliment each other in our midfield.
Pie saw more of Berry than I did in his 18s year but my thoughts of him that I could remember is that he was tough and had good athleticism and size, played a majority of his time at the champs playing in defence if I remember correctly but was still different to Rivers. Rivers more silky and Berry more physical.

Last edited:
I watched the Allies game yesterday. I thought our Academy prospect N. Cumberland played a very nice game of footy. Played mostly off the back flank providing plenty of run out of defence. He did also manage to kick 2 goals when he was pushed forward.
W. Martyn was pretty quiet.

SA had a young Pickett playing for them who looks very talented. Overall the Allies did well in the second half to make SA nervous and got it back to a goal but SA kicked the last couple to win by 17pts

I’ve managed to watch almost every game this year on YouTube on my lap top. And yesterday’s games on the AFL app on my iPad.

My uneducated take away this year is that this looks like it might be weak draft with questionable depth.

There’s been a lot of talk that Rowell and Anderson from Vic Metro are the top two prospects and then there’s a gap to the next tier.

Personally I don’t see it. Maybe it’s because Vic Metro was very weak and played poorly, so the top two didn’t stand out as much.

I certainly believe there’s a top 7 to 9 kids.
Rowell
Anderson
Kemp
Young
Ash
Green (GWS Academy)
Gould
Serong
Flanders

Then there’s a group of players who flashed quality, but lacked consistency over their 4 games.
O’Neill
Dylan Stephens
Bianco

And a mixed group of players who rose on good performances or played very well, but have workman like games or it’s questionable that they’ll have the same impact at AFL level.

Fischer McAsey
Trent Rivers
Liam Henry (Fremantle NGA)
Deven Robertson
Harry Schoenberg
Luke Jackson
Jackson Mead (Port FS)

Of our academy boys, I wouldn’t be drafting any in the National Draft (except for Keiden Coleman). Rather I’d hope they slip through to the Rookie Draft or we sign them up as U19 academy players next season.

Will Martyn was our best player in the academy series and NAB league, but disappeared in the U18 Championships, except for the first game, where he was ok in a game where the Allies got badly beaten by Vic Country.

Noah Cumberland certainly flashed some AFL traits, but was very selfish at times, trying to take the game on too much which would lead to a turnover. This particularly showed in the last game.

Tom Griffiths was solid, played his role, but otherwise didn’t stand out compared to many of the other small and medium defenders.

It is so damn good to be surprised by Cal Twomey’s phantom draft. In years gone by its been something I’ve looked out for, almost like a who do we get this year. Instead this year the focus is on playing finals and how great the team is coming along. Such a nice change!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn’t post it but this was my exact thought when I opened afl.com.au earlier today to find this article.
My thought then turned to - I don’t really care and then closed the article!

I've been having a cursory read of the Draft Trading & Free Agency board this season and I want Lachlan Ash a fast running take the game on defender with elite disposal, highly unlikely though, looks like being a top 5 selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL rejects club push for multi-year pick trading

Haven't seen this mentioned in any threads before, I would have expected the AFL to jump at this suggestion as it feeds their need for player movement.
Personally I'm for it as long as the pick protection comes in also.

Not sure how I feel about it. Would it increase player movement? Most probably but then again it could seriously hinder some teams. Imagine SOS with this type of ability to trade draft picks for players, they would be would be down for another decade.......wait, maybe not sure a bad idea at all.

Gotta say, as some one who "grew up" with the NBA and pick trading etc, I'm definitely not a fan of it for the AFL.

In the NBA, coaches and general managers are under pressure to produce a winning team and are more than willing to mortgage a teams future to win now, because if they lose their jobs, they know they won't be person who has to clean up the mess of a team with no future assets.

Also, without the power to trade players without their consent, teams would be limited with how fast they could turn around a team with limited assets.

Also, without the power to trade players without their consent, teams would be limited with how fast they could turn around a team with limited assets.
The PA will never allow it, but this is what skews trading too far in to the players power. Would also help solve the issue of players after 2 seasons behaving like a FA in demanding trades to their club of choice.

The PA will never allow it, but this is what skews trading too far in to the players power. Would also help solve the issue of players after 2 seasons behaving like a FA in demanding trades to their club of choice.
And really, that's the problem isn't it. The players want all the benefits of the NBA player movement system, but none of the balancing factors for the clubs (especially for the smaller clubs - you really have to empathise with the GC fans since we've been struggling with the same thing until recently).

Noah Cumberland

Brisbane Academy prospect Cumberland has been one of the surprise packets for the Allies with numerous moments of brilliance and playing a high-impact-per-possession brand of football. At 183cm, Cumberland is an ultra-explosive utility who loves receiving by hand and taking on opponents with his line-breaking speed. Every time Cumberland has ball in hand there is a feeling he will make something happen - he often breaks games open, racing 30 metres at a time with ball in hand.

His leap and contested marking are great strengths that have allowed him to provide a threat at either end of the field and there is significant aggression to Cumberland's tackling. When he has his hands on the ball inside-50m, Cumberland can make something out of nothing and hit the scoreboard.

Possessing attributes and a style of play comparable to Collingwood' Sam Murray, it is unclear at this stage whether Brisbane will nominate Cumberland, but his chances with each performance throughout the carnival have strengthened along with his reputation. The queries with Cumberland are his relatively low numbers and a lack of a clear best position. If those two boxes can be ticked while retaining his heavy impact per possession, he will be difficult for Brisbane to pass on.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...s-5-afl-draft-prospects-elevated-their-stocks

Ok draft hypothetical for our draft needs.

It’s a shallow draft, and come our second pick at 19 the two best players are;

A) an undersized ruck at 198cm who is Kreuzer like.

B) a high risk, high reward X factor medium forward who has the scope to play wing. The risk being the player needs the right culture and support around him. The reward being a taller Charlie Cameron who can play more wing.

Ok draft hypothetical for our draft needs.

It’s a shallow draft, and come our second pick at 19 the two best players are;

A) an undersized ruck at 198cm who is Kreuzer like.

B) a high risk, high reward X factor medium forward who has the scope to play wing. The risk being the player needs the right culture and support around him. The reward being a taller Charlie Cameron who can play more wing.
B!!!!! Please.

Who is it briz?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back