2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The latter. It means he got below the threshold (five? they keep changing it) of interested clubs.
It has been 5 previously but the article says 4. I wouldn't necessarily trust the article to be correct though.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that Coleman didn’t get nominated by enough clubs. Either they haven’t been watching our NEAFL very closely or they just decided he doesn’t have the attributes they want. Or, the Lions have been really good at hiding him in plain sight.

I would imagine the other northern clubs would have seen enough of him to know what he is capable of. If we didn’t pick him up I would love to know why, given he has been in our NEAFL almost every week taking up a spot that could have been given to another prospect.

It could also be that they have seen plenty of him this year and think he is certain to be picked up by the Lions and so did not bother. Either way it indicates that he could end up being a bargain for us. I would have him in the first round if I was doing a mock this year.

The other academy kid I would take a flyer on is Special Bruce. There is a lot of upside there although he is a fair way back at this stage. Worth a punt in the rookie draft though imo.

It could also be that they have seen plenty of him this year and think he is certain to be picked up by the Lions and so did not bother. Either way it indicates that he could end up being a bargain for us. I would have him in the first round if I was doing a mock this year.

The other academy kid I would take a flyer on is Special Bruce. There is a lot of upside there although he is a fair way back at this stage. Worth a punt in the rookie draft though imo.
I said that earlier in the season, happy someone as esteemed as you agree with me Q.

Roughly where in the first round?

Where do people see Coleman playing at AFL level?

His run and carry would be handy at half back which with his size he might always be a liability defensively. Seems to have reasonable goal sense but it’s very tough to make it as a small forward. His defensive pressure looks good though. He’ll need to build up a decent tank and work on his contested ball and defensive setup to make it as a wing.

Honestly, I’ll be surprised if there’s a bid on Coleman inside the first 30 picks.

I genuinely question whether Coleman has more upside than say, Elijah Taylor, who is considered a early to mid second round pick.

Taylor is taller, looks to have a larger frame, is fast, evasive and skilful.

Also consider that in a weaker/shallower draft, Tim Kelly was picked as an early second round pick.

Clubs don’t play games with draft combine invites. If there was interest in Coleman, he would have been invited. Especially if he is regarded as a better prospect than Martyn and Cumberland.

Otherwise, why bother nominating any Academy, NGA or father son prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What players will be available at our Pies pick that would be plug and play types?
Very few in my opinion. If the pies pick is around pick 14, maybe Harry Schoenberg. He’s a short 180cm inside mid. But 14 is a reach for him.

Best chance might be Will Gould, a Shannon Hurn type general defender. He’s big, powerful, has some speed, is a very good and very long kick. But he’s have to slide somewhat.

Outside of the top 10, most are going to need a years development to either put on weight or develop their game.

Maybe we could reach for a tall mid like Cooper Stephens or Trent Rivers, and they might be ready by the second half of the season. But they’ll be competing with Jarrod Berry and Ely Smith for an inside role.

My smokie for our own second round pick is Jay Rantall from the GWV Rebells. Very much a Mitch Robinson type player. He’s a former 184cm basketballer who plays inside mid, is fast, has very good hands, needs to work on his kick and is a hard nut.

Do yourself a favor and have a listen to today's Road to the AFL Draft Podcast, all about the Lions and "How the Lions built their Top 4 list" with guest Stephen Conole. :D

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-31/listen-how-the-lions-built-their-topfour-list

Episode guide

1:35 – Is the Lions' season ahead of the plan?

4:45 – Conole gives his take on this year's under-18 crop, and why the skill level of the championships was down.

10:15 – A look at Brisbane's Academy prospects for this season, plus news of an injury blow to a father-son candidate.

14:25 – We get the inside look on why Brisbane traded up the order to select Noah Answerth last year, and how close they were to drafting him in 2017.

19:30 – Did Jarrod Berry and Charlie Cameron factor into the Lions' drafting plans last year?

21:50 – How has Conole rated No.1 pick Cam Rayner's second season at AFL level?

24:30 – The Lions' pleasant surprise at Oscar McInerney's impact up forward.

Believe the club will either utilise our top picks for trades and if miss out then try to move up the draft. We will most highly likely have 19 (GC) and Pies pick could end up as low as 12/13. Hawks don’t use their picks for drafting so could move up there (currently pick 8) and Saints have 6 and then daylight (maybe too high for our first two). Pure speculation but we could end up with Lachlan Ash.

Believe the club will either utilise our top picks for trades and if miss out then try to move up the draft. We will most highly likely have 19 (GC) and Pies pick could end up as low as 12/13. Hawks don’t use their picks for drafting so could move up there (currently pick 8) and Saints have 6 and then daylight (maybe too high for our first two). Pure speculation but we could end up with Lachlan Ash.

If one of the teams with a top 10 pick has there eye on a player who may slide they may trade down to 12/13 to get an extra top 20 pick

What players will be available at our Pies pick that would be plug and play types?
Jeremy Sharp is already playing WAFL seniors and doing reasonably well, he's the man I want. Seeing as he's holding his own against grown men, he could crash the best 22 very quickly.

I asked draft watcher Knightmare about how wing prospects around our picks compared, and he has Sharp ahead of all the rest. His full response below:

I prefer Sharp. He has the extra height but isn't any worse than Bianco. Sharp is the more explosive athlete while Bianco's kicking precision is hard to beat. I feel Sharp may even be the slightly more damaging of the two. I also like that he's playing at WAFL League level and going really well, it's a good indicator, particularly from a high impact per possession type.

In that range, Dylan Stephens may be there but if he is he's going around picks 12/13 as a probable 5-15 pick. Darcy Cassar and Mitch O'Neil also are suitable for selection in that range though for me are more back end of that range or a touch after. Joshua Worrell perhaps if like him as a wing, and he can play anywhere as a KPP height utility but he may have found his spot more forward during the U18 champs. They're a few to think about.

But Sharp for me of those I view as the best and most damaging footballer.

But I do agree with others that we're probably trading Collingwood’s pick for a mature player.

Jeremy Sharp is already playing WAFL seniors and doing reasonably well, he's the man I want. Seeing as he's holding his own against grown men, he could crash the best 22 very quickly.

I asked draft watcher Knightmare about how wing prospects around our picks compared, and he has Sharp ahead of all the rest. His full response below:

But I do agree with others that we're probably trading Collingwood’s pick for a mature player.
Might want to talk to some of the WA based draft watchers.

Sharp has a world of talent, but he’s probably more outside than Cutler.

This is a report I received in a discussion with one of the WA based draft watchers.

Sharp - I was sitting near the WA box and my god Summa gave Sharp a spray or two at times. His defensive efforts without the ball are terrible in my eyes, especially when you compare him to a Robertson, Rowell...
I have a feeling it was a little figjam, but it is not his game.

He is a very outside player that looks dangerous above his head and on the run. I am concerned that he does not get his own ball, but when his kicking boots are on, he looks dangerous.

His workrate without the ball is an issue and stoppages, he is not getting his hands dirty.

He is a very outside player that looks dangerous above his head and on the run. I am concerned that he does not get his own ball, but when his kicking boots are on, he looks dangerous.

His workrate without the ball is an issue and stoppages, he is not getting his hands dirty.
The difference being Cutler is 24 and Sharp is 17, he can have some of his negative traits trained out of him. He has a lot of improvement to go, yes, but he can do things that few others can. Great athlete, great disposal.

BRISBANE LIONS

Draft picks (after Round 19): 13, 19, 34, 43, 52

The type of player they should target: Intercepting medium defender

Ideal player: Will Day

Draftable Father-Son/Academy prospects: Will Martyn, Kobe Tozer, Lachlan Johnson

Luke Hodge could play again in 2020, but unfortunately the leader can’t play on forever. A general intercepting defender would fill a spot in the Lions’ back 50, which includes one of the best key defenders in the competition, Harris Andrews. South Australians Will Day and Will Gould could fill that mantra. Day is a wiry defender who impressed at times in the Under 18 Championships and used the ball effectively by foot. Gould is a two-time All-Australian, with the 191cm defender rebounding the ball well and intercepting at will. He has also played SANFL League football for Glenelg this season. Hayden Young would be nice, but he’s not going to be sliding outside the top 10. West Australia Trent Rivers could be another that fits this needs. Will Martyn is arguably their best academy prospect, while Kobe Tozer was a highly rated Under 16 but has since suffered multiple injuries. Potential father-son Lachlan Johnson ruptured his ACL at school football on the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back