Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Cal Twomey’s August Phantom Form Guide.

I would be ecstatic if these three players were available at these picks.

And no Jeremy Sharp in Twomey's top 30.
I'm coming more and more around to picking up a ruck with our 1st/2nd pick. If the draft is pretty shallow then it makes sense to do it this year unless we identify a stronger need.

While Stef is still playing pretty good footy, giving someone 2/3 years to develop in NEAFL and the occasional game in the 1st's would be massive for their development.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Unless there is a clear identified need available at our first 2 selections I'd like to see us take a bit of a calculated (X factor) risk with one of our early selections eg. Elijah Taylor, Trent Rivers or one right out of left field Kysiah Pickett.

I'd also put a bid in on Liam Henry if he's still on the board at our 1st selection.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some of the East Fremantle boys training with Freo yesterday.

East Freo guys a flight risk?

And I'd be happy with either Stephens or Gould with our Pies pick. Need to add more quality to the mid field. Smith last year and Stephens this year. Thanks Pies

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Unless there is a clear identified need available at our first 2 selections I'd like to see us take a bit of a calculated (X factor) risk with one of our early selections eg. Elijah Taylor, Trent Rivers or one right out of left field Kysiah Pickett.

I'd also put a bid in on Liam Henry if he's still on the board at our 1st selection.
I don't believe Trent Rivers is really an X-factor type. At worst he's a very solid general defender with good kicking skills and decision making. It's funny, he's been a midfielder at WAFL Colts level, and was moved back to work on his game, and now many people view him as a defender and question if he has the ability to play mid at AFL level. He doesn't have Starcevich's speed, nor is he as powerful as JBerry as a tall mid. But he is a big, strong inside mid, with good skills.

If the club does draft Keidean Coleman, and we continue playing Cedric Cox up forward, I'm not sure there's room for an Elijah Taylor type. But he's a kid I really liked. He's just as outside as Jeremy Sharp, so would need to work on the contested side of his game.

I'd certainly consider Sharp or Taylor with our second pick, depending on who else is still on board.

Pickett is every chance to still be on board at our third pick. Just not sure at what point clubs will overlook his size, for his talent.

Another player to consider is Cooper Stephens. Another tall inside ball winner, with some good skills.

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Didn't know that - same knee?

Perhaps trying to keep our academy kids under the radar

I think you want to play them but the lack of injuries prevent you doing so. This is probably why Martyn is lent out to Aspley and probably the reason Griffiths and Reville missed out on the combines as they never got the neafl exposure. The top 2 GC suns kids have played over 15 neafl games and some of the Sydney and GWS academy players are not far behind. Looks like your academy selections are down to Cumberland, Martyn and Coleman with Tozer not being ready til
Next year

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
East Freo guys a flight risk?

And I'd be happy with either Stephens or Gould with our Pies pick. Need to add more quality to the mid field. Smith last year and Stephens this year. Thanks Pies
I'm really not sure on the flight risk of any kids. There hasn't been much talk about it this year. I can't recall what time last year that discussion surfaced that Bailey Smith didn't want to move interstate. There's a few of them with Trent Rivers, Jeremy Sharp, Elijah Taylor and Luke Jackson all being East Freo boys.

I have heard rumours that both Rowell and Anderson are willing to go to Gold Coast together. If there ever was a convergence of the stars to work in Gold Coasts favour for a beginning of first round PP, those boys are the tipping point.

I don't believe Gould projects as a mid. He might be able attend a couple of centre bounces or stoppages, and win the ball, before moving back in to defence. He's a (much) bigger version of Shannon Hurn. I just have visions of him taking an intercept mark above his head, coming down and running through the centre of De Goey's chest, before delivering a kick out to the wing. He's big and powerful, has a huge kick on him, and is a very good kick, and can run fast in a straight line. He's going to hurt players at AFL level.

Stephens would be ideal on the opposite wing to McCluggage. The concern will be him getting past Adelaide's pick, because he's exactly what they need as well. And if Freo lose BHill to St Kilda, who give up their first to Freo, that will be another team looking for outside mids.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I don't believe Trent Rivers is really an X-factor type. At worst he's a very solid general defender with good kicking skills and decision making. It's funny, he's been a midfielder at WAFL Colts level, and was moved back to work on his game, and now many people view him as a defender and question if he has the ability to play mid at AFL level. He doesn't have Starcevich's speed, nor is he as powerful as JBerry as a tall mid. But he is a big, strong inside mid, with good skills.

If the club does draft Keidean Coleman, and we continue playing Cedric Cox up forward, I'm not sure there's room for an Elijah Taylor type. But he's a kid I really liked. He's just as outside as Jeremy Sharp, so would need to work on the contested side of his game.

I'd certainly consider Sharp or Taylor with our second pick, depending on who else is still on board.

Pickett is every chance to still be on board at our third pick. Just not sure at what point clubs will overlook his size, for his talent.

Another player to consider is Cooper Stephens. Another tall inside ball winner, with some good skills.
Soooooooo much water to go under the bridge before knowing what our final picks will be.

ManeMan

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
I'm really not sure on the flight risk of any kids. There hasn't been much talk about it this year. I can't recall what time last year that discussion surfaced that Bailey Smith didn't want to move interstate. There's a few of them with Trent Rivers, Jeremy Sharp, Elijah Taylor and Luke Jackson all being East Freo boys.

I have heard rumours that both Rowell and Anderson are willing to go to Gold Coast together. If there ever was a convergence of the stars to work in Gold Coasts favour for a beginning of first round PP, those boys are the tipping point.

I don't believe Gould projects as a mid. He might be able attend a couple of centre bounces or stoppages, and win the ball, before moving back in to defence. He's a (much) bigger version of Shannon Hurn. I just have visions of him taking an intercept mark above his head, coming down and running through the centre of De Goey's chest, before delivering a kick out to the wing. He's big and powerful, has a huge kick on him, and is a very good kick, and can run fast in a straight line. He's going to hurt players at AFL level.

Stephens would be ideal on the opposite wing to McCluggage. The concern will be him getting past Adelaide's pick, because he's exactly what they need as well. And if Freo lose BHill to St Kilda, who give up their first to Freo, that will be another team looking for outside mids.

Dylan Stephens would be ideal for us, I'm starting to get my heart set on him.

I wouldn't be against grabbing Luke Jackson with our second pick either. Seems like it might be a bit of a value pick, with not many recruiters interested in taking rucks early in recent years.

Cody Weightman would be a decent get too, might still be there at our third pick. Would be nice to have another natural small forward on our list.

Our picks will probably look pretty different after the pesky trade period though. I'm hoping we keep the GC pick through the trade period and trade it after that first day of the draft, similar to west coast did. Could get some good value out of it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dylan Stephens would be ideal for us, I'm starting to get my heart set on him.

I wouldn't be against grabbing Luke Jackson with our second pick either. Seems like it might be a bit of a value pick, with not many recruiters interested in taking rucks early in recent years.

Cody Weightman would be a decent get too, might still be there at our third pick. Would be nice to have another natural small forward on our list.

Our picks will probably look pretty different after the pesky trade period though. I'm hoping we keep the GC pick through the trade period and trade it after that first day of the draft, similar to west coast did. Could get some good value out of it.
I’m not sure small forward will be a need for us.

I don’t know if we’ll match a bid on Noah Cumberland, or if or where a bid will come. But if we want a small forward, I’m just taking Cumberland.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m not sure small forward will be a need for us.

I don’t know if we’ll match a bid on Noah Cumberland, or if or where a bid will come. But if we want a small forward, I’m just taking Cumberland.

Really love ya work mate,
You put a up CP numbers for some players during u18s carnival, any chance you can provide nums for Miles Bergman ?
he is one i like with our 2nd pick.....BUT feel he could be one who rises quickly up draft calculations.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cal Twomey’s August Phantom Form Guide.

I would be ecstatic if these three players were available at these picks.

And no Jeremy Sharp in Twomey's top 30.

Interesting read, obviously Cal is a very connected person however he still continues, to over rate Victorians.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Really love ya work mate,
You put a up CP numbers for some players during u18s carnival, any chance you can provide nums for Miles Bergman ?
he is one i like with our 2nd pick.....BUT feel he could be one who rises quickly up draft calculations.
You can probably look him up on the Draft Central website, that’s the resource I use. Look for the U18 Championships, scroll down the first screen to where they have the player stats. There’s about 4 pages of them.

Or use the search function and his bio should come up with the stats.

Interesting read, obviously Cal is a very connected person however he still continues, to over rate Victorians.

If we keep our (Collingwood's) first pick, Luke Jackson is the standout to me - scars of Longer not forgotten.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FYI there’s an unrelated Berry in next years draft.

Sam Berry, 180cm inside mid from Gippsland Power. Impressed on the weekend for Vic Country in the U17 futures game.

Going alright at NAB league level as well.

Back