2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out of curiosity why did you ask about Miles Bergman?

Think he would be a good fit for us, not with our 1st current pick, but one of our next picks.
Good size, decent pace, really good forward skills with strong vice grip hands.
projected to go 2nd rd.
Won best on ground in recent School final.

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FYI there’s an unrelated Berry in next years draft.

Sam Berry, 180cm inside mid from Gippsland Power. Impressed on the weekend for Vic Country in the U17 futures game.

Going alright at NAB league level as well.
His family are good friends with my in laws. Big wraps on him.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here is what draft watcher Davo-27 has to say about Jackson:

10. Luke Jackson - earlier in the year people were talking top 5 and i was a doubter, seeing as i am not the biggest fan of rucks as i demand a lot from them, but this guy ticks all the boxes and could be a star ruck in the AFL, i've not seen a ruckman with this much quality since Jeff White got picked #1 for Melbourne, he wins a tonne of hit-outs, gets good numbers of disp and can win clearances, he also is useful around the ground as a marking target or just general play use of the ball, also seems to have a good leap from his basketball background and moves around like a tall mid and not a lumbering ruck, at 198cm some knock him as a shortish ruck, but i think he will prove the doubters wrong in time.
I wouldn't mind someone at Jeff White's level or just below.

Get the feeling we are going to have a few trade targets taking up our draft picks. Could see this draft being fairly minimal, maybe picking up Coleman and maybe a later pick we like. Would be great if we could land a FA or 2 though so we could keep our draft picks as well.

Pns_blister

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just because it didn't work out before, doesn't mean it won't work out now. If we draft Jackson and he becomes the next Grundy I doubt you'll wish we avoided him.

Historically, if you look at recent teams that have won premierships (West Coast, Bulldogs, Richmond etc.) none have had 'dominant' ruckman such as Grundy, and the odds of Jackson reaching the heights of Grundy are very slim. Additionally, Tim English in his draft year (2016) was considered at the pointy end (7th highest rated player from Cal Twomey) of the first round and slipped to pick 19. No point burning a high end pick on rucks, when there is such good value later on in the national draft (Gawn, Goldstein, Witts etc.) and rookie drafting (Sandilands, Sam Jacobs, Reilly O'brien, O. McInerney, Stef Martin, Mumford etc).

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Historically, if you look at recent teams that have won premierships (West Coast, Bulldogs, Richmond etc.) none have had 'dominant' ruckman
Were Lycett and Nankervis not good ruckmen?

and the odds of Jackson reaching the heights of Grundy are very slim.
Well of course. It's an example.

Additionally, Tim English in his draft year (2016) was considered at the pointy end (7th highest rated player from Cal Twomey) of the first round and slipped to pick 19.
And he shouldn't have. He's already outperforming several players picked above him, some in positions that usually adapt a lot faster to AFL level than rucks do. Gold Coast certainly wish they'd taken the 7th highest rated player at pick 7 instead of a bust like Scrimshaw.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't want a ruckman with a first rounder, way too big a gamble and even worse a long long wait to see if it pays off.

Go for the elite safer mid option IMO with 1st round selections. Let others develop the rucks and then poach someone who can't get a decent run in seniors for their team or there would be rucks in the state leagues who could do serviceable jobs.

Might be an idea to see if Mabior Chol wants to come home.

Pns_blister

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Were Lycett and Nankervis not good ruckmen?

Well of course. It's an example.

And he shouldn't have. He's already outperforming several players picked above him, some in positions that usually adapt a lot faster to AFL level than rucks do. Gold Coast certainly wish they'd taken the 7th highest rated player at pick 7 instead of a bust like Scrimshaw.

No, Lycett and Nankervis are not what I consider "dominant" ruckman. Very far from it actually. And more to my point, were taken later in the national draft. It's clear that recent trends dictate that you either trade for ready made ruckman, use later picks in the national draft, or target more mature, raw prospects through the rookie draft.

It's often too hard to project development in the bigger blokes, and very very time consuming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don't want a ruckman with a first rounder, way too big a gamble and even worse a long long wait to see if it pays off.

Go for the elite safer mid option IMO with 1st round selections. Let others develop the rucks and then poach someone who can't get a decent run in seniors for their team or there would be rucks in the state leagues who could do serviceable jobs.

Might be an idea to see if Mabior Chol wants to come home.
I’ve been saying it most of the year, there aren’t going to be any/many elite mids past about pick 12 in this draft, and even some of the mids drafted before pick 12 might be speculative.

Many of the players picked after 12 are going just as questionable a selection as Jackson.

There just aren’t many mids this year. Lots of flankers, rebounding defenders and small forwards.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No, Lycett and Nankervis are not what I consider "dominant" ruckman.
So you don't rate them as players? What is this "dominant" ruck you refer to?

Of course the 90s era ruck who didn't do much but tap isn't worth a first round pick. The new breed of ruck (like English) has the accumulation and disposal skills to serve as an extra midfielder. Jackson can potentially do that. That's why he's in the discussion.

It's clear that recent trends dictate that you either trade for ready made ruckman, use later picks in the national draft, or target more mature, raw prospects through the rookie draft.
And following recent trends is what caused teams to miss out on Grundy. And allowed English to drop to 19 when he's outperforming so-called safe mids taken ahead of him.

I’ve been saying it most of the year, there aren’t going to be any/many elite mids past about pick 12 in this draft, and even some of the mids drafted before pick 12 might be speculative.

Many of the players picked after 12 are going just as questionable a selection as Jackson.

There just aren’t many mids this year. Lots of flankers, rebounding defenders and small forwards.
Good year for trading!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm ok with a ruck with a late 1st pick. Especially if there are limited other pieces we need at that pick. I'm against top 10 picks for rucks though

Most draft watchers and reporters have been saying on talent, in this draft, Jackson is a top 10 talent. And then they go on to say, most teams are adverse to drafting rucks early, so mid to late first round might be the earliest he goes.

On this weeks podcast, Twomey said he has spoken to several recruiters who believe Jackson is a top 10 talent.

From my perspective, that’s largely because there very few highly rated genuine mids in this draft. And many of the flankers have question marks about them, whether it be their application, contested game or lack of height.

Most draft watchers and reporters have been saying on talent, in this draft, Jackson is a top 10 talent. And then they go on to say, most teams are adverse to drafting rucks early, so mid to late first round might be the earliest he goes.

On this weeks podcast, Twomey said he has spoken to several recruiters who believe Jackson is a top 10 talent.

From my perspective, that’s largely because there very few highly rated genuine mids in this draft. And many of the flankers have question marks about them, whether it be their application, contested game or lack of height.

Wonder if there is a list of over agers who would get a look in.
After us getting Answerth, I'm always dreaming about this "injured gun who missed getting drafted" falling on our lap again.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Wonder if there is a list of over agers who would get a look in.
After us getting Answerth, I'm always dreaming about this "injured gun who missed getting drafted" falling on our lap again.
Pretty much all got picked up in the preseason SSP or drafted in the mid season draft.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sounds like Jackson has potential as a second ruck/key forward as well.

Could work out well to give him 2 years in the NEAFL and then bring him when Stef retires to ruck with Oscar.

Back to back draft picks!

Yeah baby!!!

*now don’t being going and handing out any end of round compo or priority picks AFL, ya hear*

*wins the flag*

Briz: "Oh man, first pick at 19."

You're a strange cat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back