2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My wish list this draft.
Luke Jackson- more than happy to take a ruckman this draft. And he seems to be a good one. I like the idea of him growing and developing with our next gen of mids. Get that combination started early. Jackson could be around at our first or second pick. I am one that doesnt think we need to trade into the club a mature ruck to cover martins retirement, ceglar has been spoken about in the trade thread. i think the way martin has played this year and the last, he has a cpl of good years left in him. By then big O will be no1 ruck, ballenden has potential to be a ruck/rwd, archie smith could still be a pure ruckman.
Will Gould- a 191cm rebounding/intercept defender from S.A. He has played a good deal of sanfl this year against grown men and has performed well with good stats (cant remember them off hand but i think his disposal efficiency was around the 87% mark and i think his tackle average was good too). Just the type of player we need.

I dont think we will drafting more than our 3 required by the afl cos i dont think there will be a large player turnover this year and i think we will be trading for 2 or 3 depth/best 22, young Ah Chee from suns eg. So with our third pick happy to go with best available mid or sm fwd.

Was thinking that if we get busy on the trade table again and are lucky enough to land 1 or 2 very good players, we may not have any early draft picks. We dont have the currency, like a beams going, to get back early picks.

Was thinking that if we get busy on the trade table again and are lucky enough to land 1 or 2 very good players, we may not have any early draft picks. We dont have the currency, like a beams going, to get back early picks.

Perhaps not a coincidence that we have a couple of decent picks this year. Could very well be a light draft year.

Will be interesting to see if our recruiters rate the top prospects in this draft and are keen to trade our two picks in the teens for a top 8 selection. If we don't land an A grader that we need to part with our picks in the teens for this off season I'd like us to try and trade into the top 8. Adding any one of Serong, Robertson, Ash, Young or Kemp would be appealing for me. I don't mind the look of Gould, Stephens and Flanders either.

I think Caleb Serong is my favourite prospect though. Reminds me of Robbie Gray. I think he'll be a gun mid capable of resting forward and being dangerous up there and would be a nice replacement for Zorko in 5 or so years time as a similar type. If not him I really like the run and carry Ash could provide off the HB/Wing and the combination of contested ball winning/pace of Robertson. Would be nice to nab one of those three and continue to add to our already elite pool of young talent e.g. Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden, Rayner, Bailey, Answerth.

As it is I think we'll be a scary team in 5 years time when the guys I've just listed are hitting their peak. Adding another gun young prospect to that group is just as exciting as landing another gun through the trade period for me. I think my preference would be an A grader to come to us via trade to enhance our premiership chances from next year onwards, however, the back up option of trading our two picks in the teens for a higher pick and thus putting us in a position to land a Serong/Ash/Robertson is a nice back up option I reckon.

Will be interesting to see if our recruiters rate the top prospects in this draft and are keen to trade our two picks in the teens for a top 8 selection. If we don't land an A grader that we need to part with our picks in the teens for this off season I'd like us to try and trade into the top 8. Adding any one of Serong, Robertson, Ash, Young or Kemp would be appealing for me. I don't mind the look of Gould, Stephens and Flanders either.

I think Caleb Serong is my favourite prospect though. Reminds me of Robbie Gray. I think he'll be a gun mid capable of resting forward and being dangerous up there and would be a nice replacement for Zorko in 5 or so years time as a similar type. If not him I really like the run and carry Ash could provide off the HB/Wing and the combination of contested ball winning/pace of Robertson. Would be nice to nab one of those three and continue to add to our already elite pool of young talent e.g. Andrews, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden, Rayner, Bailey, Answerth.

As it is I think we'll be a scary team in 5 years time when the guys I've just listed are hitting their peak. Adding another gun young prospect to that group is just as exciting as landing another gun through the trade period for me. I think my preference would be an A grader to come to us via trade to enhance our premiership chances from next year onwards, however, the back up option of trading our two picks in the teens for a higher pick and thus putting us in a position to land a Serong/Ash/Robertson is a nice back up option I reckon.
I don’t rate Robertson that highly. He’s an accumulator who’s not a good kick, and he’s not actually that fast.

Certainly not top worthy of a top 10 in my uneducated opinion.

Just looking at our young inside mids on our list not in the current best 22, I’d have Mathieson, Ely Smith and Tom Joyce ahead of him. Tom Berry and Zac Bailey as well.

I’d even have Corey Lyons ahead of him purely for being more ready to compete in a top 8 side next season.

I’d prefer Trent Rivers over Robertson.

I don’t expect our second pick to stay at 19.

A GC priority pick pushes it back to 20.

I expect two academy bids before our second pick, so it’s back to 22.

And I haven’t kept up with the free agents, so I’m unsure if there’s likely to be any end of first round compo picks.

If I had a top 10 pick in this draft, I wouldn’t be so keen to trade back unless my main draft priorities were small forwards or key backs.

But there are some clubs reportedly keen to split an early pick, I just don’t believe our first two picks carry enough currency to get that high.

I don’t rate Robertson that highly. He’s an accumulator who’s not a good kick, and he’s not actually that fast.

Certainly not top worthy of a top 10 in my uneducated opinion.

Just looking at our young inside mids on our list not in the current best 22, I’d have Mathieson, Ely Smith and Tom Joyce ahead of him. Tom Berry and Zac Bailey as well.

I’d even have Corey Lyons ahead of him purely for being more ready to compete in a top 8 side next season.

I’d prefer Trent Rivers over Robertson.

I don’t expect our second pick to stay at 19.

A GC priority pick pushes it back to 20.

I expect two academy bids before our second pick, so it’s back to 22.

And I haven’t kept up with the free agents, so I’m unsure if there’s likely to be any end of first round compo picks.

If I had a top 10 pick in this draft, I wouldn’t be so keen to trade back unless my main draft priorities were small forwards or key backs.

But there are some clubs reportedly keen to split an early pick, I just don’t believe our first two picks carry enough currency to get that high.
At most come trade week it'll be pushed back one selection to pick 20 if GC expectedly get a PP. No FA compo will push back pick 19 this year. A team like the Saints may be keen to split their picks for trade currency. They're expected to get both Hill and Jones who are probably worth picks 15 and 19 respectively. Who knows though. I think it's more likely we'll trade our picks for player from other clubs. I rate Robertson a lot higher than you do although you may have seen more of him. I think he'll be a gun mid with his contested ball winning, his competitiveness in the contest and his quick hands a feature of a quality inside mid. I'd prefer Serong or Ash personally but I wouldn't complain with Robertson either.

Carlton or the Bulldogs will be probably looking to split their picks so they can trade one for Jack Martin. If the deal is there I hope we take it.

Carlton or the Bulldogs will be probably looking to split their picks so they can trade one for Jack Martin. If the deal is there I hope we take it.
If we could get a top 8 pick, I’d be for such a trade.

Pick 8 will become pick 10 with a GC PP, and a matched bid on GWS.

My top 10 in some rough order:
Anderson
Rowell
Young
Green
Kemp
Ash
Serong
Gould
Stephens
Flanders

Then I’d have Trent Rivers and Luke Jackson next.

After those 12, I’m not really all that keen on a lot of the kids spoken about as potential first round talent.

I do like Trent Bianco as a small defender, but wish he was 5cm taller.

Miles Bergman is moving up in draft discussions as one of the better wings in the draft. And he doesn’t have a rep for being to outside, and is willing to put his head over the ball.

Cooper Stephens was considered a potential first rounder before breaking his leg.

Also it’s worth discussing next years draft with a lot of the top talent being tied to NGA academies.

Trade out our first pick next year for something this year.

Or trade our 2019 and 2020 second round picks to one of those clubs with a highly regarded NGA prospect for a 2020 first round pick.

Also it’s worth discussing next years draft with a lot of the top talent being tied to NGA academies.
Trade out our first pick next year for something this year.
Or trade our 2019 and 2020 second round picks to one of those clubs with a highly regarded NGA prospect for a 2020 first round pick.
I'd be all for something like this. Even if we estimated the talent would be like for like, getting the player in a year earlier will be of benefit.

Whatever happens I'm sure there will be a ton of trades that seem ok at the time but will kill list managers next year just because of how unpredictable 2020 draft will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crozier along with Blake Coleman (Keideans’ younger brother) and Carter Michael all playing in the GF day futures game.

We might have a few mids in the academy to keep an eye on next year.

We have more kids in this years game than any other academy. Swans 2, GWS 1 and GC 1. Lions 3.

Meant more what are his prospects. How highly rated is he?
Not rated by the draft watchers at the moment.

Largely because they’re mostly Vic based, and looking at the U17 kids playing NAB league, or the SA and WA U17 kids who stood out in this years Championships.

Wait until next years academy series.

The fact we have 3 kids in this years Futures game is something. Last year only Will Martyn played.

Means that the National academy set up and potentially recruiters rate them in the top 50 kids to look at for next year, at this stage.

Supposedly the Demons, Crows and Saints all want to trade down. Looks like it's a buyers market for a top 10 pick, we should have the ammunition for one if we don't trade our top two picks for established players. Who would make the biggest difference to our side, a defender with speed like Young or Ash?

Supposedly the Demons, Crows and Saints all want to trade down. Looks like it's a buyers market for a top 10 pick, we should have the ammunition for one if we don't trade our top two picks for established players. Who would make the biggest difference to our side, a defender with speed like Young or Ash?
I don’t believe we currently have the draft picks to trade up to Melbourne or Adelaides pick. Not unless we’re trading this years and next years first round picks. And even then I don’t believe that’s enough for a top 5 pick.

GWS will be wanting to get in ahead of a Sydney bid for Tom Green, and with their two first round picks, are currently in the box seat to trade for an early pick.

Fremantle fans won’t be happy about the Saints splitting their first pick.

They reckon Brad Hill is worth pick 5.

And speaking of Freo, they might want to split their first round pick if they want specifically draft WA kids.

They probably need 4 picks in the 10 to 25 range if they want the three East Fremantle boys and/or Elijah Taylor, and their NGA kid.

Time might be right for a young Ruck if the rumours about Ceglar aren't true. A year or two development as number 4 before Steph retires. The Jackson kid seems quite highly rated and could be in the mix for our first pick?
Luke Jackson from WA this year.

There is a young 17 year old, 200cm SA ruck, Riley Thilthorpe, who is rated higher than Jackson by draft watchers in next years draft.

He was injured earlier this year so didn’t play in the U18 Championships. Has been playing for West Adelaide’s SANFL side since coming back from injury as a Forward Ruck. Kicked 3 goals against Sturt in his second game.

Luke Jackson from WA this year.

There is a young 17 year old, 200cm SA ruck, Riley Thilthorpe, who is rated higher than Jackson by draft watchers in next years draft.

He was injured earlier this year so didn’t play in the U18 Championships. Has been playing for West Adelaide’s SANFL side since coming back from injury as a Forward Ruck. Kicked 3 goals against Sturt in his second game.

Moves a bit like Tom Lynch

Martyn, Cumberland & Coleman the only realistic academy prospects this year it seems then?

Late/rookie/non picks though I would have thought unless someone bolts at the combine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back