2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading a discussion on next years draft.

One of the draft watchers listed is top 30, in no particular order. Crozier made the list. He has 11 players already tied to clubs in his top 30.

Just listened to Fagan and how he talked about our game style (which I believe impacted on the trading of Cutler and Taylor). If any draftee is remotely outside or unable to win their own ball I don’t think that they will be looked at. I feel that there will be more bigger mids brought in like a Cooper Stephens or Jay Rantall types.

Just listened to Fagan and how he talked about our game style (which I believe impacted on the trading of Cutler and Taylor). If any draftee is remotely outside or unable to win their own ball I don’t think that they will be looked at. I feel that there will be more bigger mids brought in like a Cooper Stephens or Jay Rantall types.

It will be very interesting to see what type of players we draft this year. Last year we made a big investment in big bodied midfielders, and if we do the same thing again it gives a strong indication of the team Fagan wants to build.

I am no draft guru, and not sure who is available but they will also need to have some speed and breakaway ability. Whilst loving the tough stuff.
Last thing we want is a one paced midfield. Like Adelaide this year.
A taller Dayne Zorko would be ideal!

I am no draft guru, and not sure who is available but they will also need to have some speed and breakaway ability. Whilst loving the tough stuff.
Last thing we want is a one paced midfield. Like Adelaide this year.
A taller Dayne Zorko would be ideal!

Draft a stool for him?

You know they’re two I like.

Rantall set a new record for the 2km time trial, running 5:50. Stephens ran it in 6:17.

Both were equal top in the yo-yo test with a 21.8.

So the both have the endurance. And Rantall has pace on the outside, so can definitely run up and down a wing all day.

Both need to work on their kicking.

Noah Cumberland was top 5 for the 20 metre sprint and top 10 in the agility test.

Miles Bergman was tops in the jumping tests. Good leap on him, which shows in games.

The two biggest disappointments for me at the combine testing were Luke Jackson and Will Gould.

For an undersized ruck, Jackson needed to show a good leap. I expected much better, especially someone coming from a basketball background.

Gould tested poorly, but his in game play suggests otherwise.

I’m not sure if we’ll draft any back flanker types, after bringing in Ah Chee and Birchall.

This might seem a little odd, but I would consider trading back a bit from 16, if we could get two picks in the 20’s.

I’d look at Adelaide’s two picks in the 20’s. Currently 23 and 28. I definitely would want to get picks in front of Sydney & Essendon.

Ideally we package 16 with picks 48 and
52. But I’d be ok with 16 and 34, because I know we’d have to get that third pick in before Essendon to have a chance of drafting Rantall.

Cooper Stephens at 21.
Miles Bergman at 23.
Jay Rantall at 28.
Keidean Coleman matched bid or drafted with 55. (can match a bid from pick 41 with a negligible deficit).

Noah McFadyen - 16yrs (Kedron JAFC / Wilston Grange)
Blake Coleman -17yrs (Wynnum JAFC / Morningside)
Carter Michael -17yrs (Maroochydore JAFC / Maroochydore)
Jack Briskey -17yrs (Toowoomba Tigers / Western Magpies)
Saxon Crozier -17yrs (West Juniors JAFC / Morningside)
Tahj Abberley -17yrs (Moreton Bay JAFC / Sandgate / Aspley)
Has there ever been a top-level player from Toowoomba before? Can't recall one. Maybe Briskey will be the first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at which teams hold what picks this year and next.

It’s really hard to see a team with picks in the 8 to 12 range who would be willing to trade for our first two picks.

And there are three teams who hold better picks than us, if they wish to move up. Gold Coast with 15 and 20, Geelong with 14 and 17, and Port with 12 and 18.

Maybe Melbourne might consider trading pick 8, as they have a pretty short hand this year and next year, with their first pick looking like being a mid to late second round pick in next years draft. But they would more than likely to want 16, 21 and 48.

It also looks very hard to bundle and trade some of our later picks, if we want to try and move up in to the late 20’s from pick 34.

Fremantle might trade pick 22, as it will be used to match a bid on an academy kid, but they’d be looking at picks 34, 48 and 52 for it. Which I’d genuinely consider as we really have to many picks, with little chance of making a reasonable trade for future picks.

I can’t really see many teams willing to trade a future pick for a similar pick this year.

Melbourne or West Coast might trade their second round pick next year for our pick 34. Or might trade their third round pick next year for our pick 48.

Cooper Stephens at 21.
Miles Bergman at 23.
Jay Rantall at 28.
Keidean Coleman matched bid or drafted with 55. (can match a bid from pick 41 with a negligible deficit).
I'm guessing you'd shift Bergman up to medium forward, Rantall to the wing and Stephens inside? I'm worried we're throwing too many resources into one position otherwise.

I'm guessing you'd shift Bergman up to medium forward, Rantall to the wing and Stephens inside? I'm worried we're throwing too many resources into one position otherwise.
Bergman wing and half forward. He’s not afraid to put his head over the ball, so he’s not an outside seagull.

Cooper Stephens inside mid, with the ability to go forward. Has a good leap on him like Ely Smith.

Rantall wing and inside mid. Almost a clone of Mitch Robinson, but potential to be one of the very elite outside runners.

Bergman wing and half forward. He’s not afraid to put his head over the ball, so he’s not an outside seagull.

Cooper Stephens inside mid, with the ability to go forward. Has a good leap on him like Ely Smith.

Rantall wing and inside mid. Almost a clone of Mitch Robinson, but potential to be one of the very elite outside runners.
Sounds like there will still be some quality with our first two picks. Wouldn't be a bad thing if we took Coleman with our third and Cumberland later, with Big O getting an upgrade with our last.

Sounds like there will still be some quality with our first two picks. Wouldn't be a bad thing if we took Coleman with our third and Cumberland later, with Big O getting an upgrade with our last.
To do that we'd have to delist 5 players. 3 more after Hodge and Robbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back