2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They say he likes to run but how fast at 106kg if that's his true weight? Great that he has played senior footy but that weight is a bit of a worry for a young kid who isn't overly tall. It could go either way once drafted.

If he is 106kgs he is a big unit already and would be 2nd heaviest in the club just behind our heaviest player The Big O whom is 107 kgs
They say he likes to run but how fast at 106kg if that's his true weight? Great that he has played senior footy but that weight is a bit of a worry for a young kid who isn't overly tall. It could go either way once drafted.
I honestly don’t know where he’s hiding the 106kg.

He looks to be carrying a little puppy fat, bet he doesn’t even look to be carrying the amount of fat Clayton Oliver carried in his draft year.

I’ve no concerns about his weight. I’m sure once he’s in a professional environment he’ll lean out, add more muscle, and increase his explosive power.

I’ve posted a video in the last couple of pages of Gould playing at the U18 championship, you can see he running there.

I honestly don’t know where he’s hiding the 106kg.

He looks to be carrying a little puppy fat, bet he doesn’t even look to be carrying the amount of fat Clayton Oliver carried in his draft year.

I’ve no concerns about his weight. I’m sure once he’s in a professional environment he’ll lean out, add more muscle, and increase his explosive power.

I’ve posted a video in the last couple of pages of Gould playing at the U18 championship, you can see he running there.
Heavy bones

It’s going to be hard to trade our excess picks this year.

Our first selection is viewed as being just outside the probable top tier of talent.

Our third selection is viewed as being just outside the probable second tier of talent.

If Gold Coast are actively shopping 15 and 20, we’re back of the queue for teams to talk if they’re looking to split an mid first round pick.

Potentially looks like the least amount of draft selections will be taken since 2015 (70). Twomey believes we might see as few as 62 selections, which is about 3.5 picks per club.

And the few clubs who might want an extra, or earlier pick this year, have traded future picks already, and are short on future picks as currency.

Our picks in the 50’s hold little trade value, as clubs know if we’re not going to use them, they don’t have to trade for them for their own late picks to move up the draft order.

We might find a team willing to trade a future 3rd round pick for pick 34. Less of a chance finding a team willing to trade for pick 42, might be offered a 4th round pick for it.

Hopefully the 106kg puts other clubs off Will Gould because IMO he looks fantastic, an intelligent natural footballer first and foremost and an athlete 2nd, would be great if he slides to us at 16, he would put serious pressure on for a back 6 spot straight up in 2020.

In regards to his weight I have 2 sons, first born tall and lean, second built and muscle. Now this might sound silly but the second who is younger is built and muscle, weighs about the same and to pick him up (he’s about to turn 7) you can feel the weight whereas with the eldest (9) it’s kind of spread. It’s difficult to explain but until I had our boy I would thought overweight but he is literally a ball of muscle and compact and maybe that’s what Gould is like.

Gould has the build to play in 2020. Has played at senior level and has played well. You don't have to build his body, he already has the strength. He won't be pushed around so he stands his ground. A rebounding half back, a good long kick and a body that will be hard to tackle,hold and stop from breaking packs open. With AFL training he will lose weight but he will create more muscle and become even stronger. Whoever gets kid the club is going to be lucky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the 106kg puts other clubs off Will Gould because IMO he looks fantastic, an intelligent natural footballer first and foremost and an athlete 2nd, would be great if he slides to us at 16, he would put serious pressure on for a back 6 spot straight up in 2020.

Geelong would be after him at 14 or 17 I think.

Very little leaks, no real discontent, successful rebuild in short space of time, happiest team as rated by the AFLPA survey, no need to follow the early draft picks because we finished bottom 4. Oh and the tough decisions on who to cut because of success and the lowest injury toll in the AFL. What a boring shitty off season it is.

Last edited:
The last SANFL premiership player we drafted was probably Aish

I saw a picture of him and for a second I got a bit worried that Witherden had really been packing on the kgs recently 😂

Jeremy McGovern anyone? I don't think he'd have ever had a great skinfold test and it hasn't held him back.

Trent Bianco seems like a player who can help our ball movement with better foot skills. He could potentially play wing or defense, giving us flexibility with Answerth and McCluggage. Looks like a mini-Laird, big possession and tackle count already in u18s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back