Remove this Banner Ad

Ozzy_Lion

Debutant
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Golden State, Miami Dolphins
I'm very glad to get a major talent like Robertson and to secure the academy prospect we rated the most highly.

My only concern is whether we would have taken Trent Rivers over Brock had Melbourne passed on him. If that was the case, then I wish we had used 33 and 37 to trade up with North, maybe getting a later pick back if they had one for bid matching. But the club rates Brock highly and maybe he'll be the better player.
We locked in the Brock pick in about 30 sec. we were Not scrambling after Melbourne took Rivers. Looked like we got the player we wanted.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone see the video of lach calling dev after he was drafted? So much class. With respect to Harris, lach is deadset locked in as the next captain when zorks decides to give up the title

Amazing how we’ve gone from Ash McGrath to now having 6 indigenous footballers on our list. We were missing out on so much by not recruiting indigenous footballers.

Figures I saw said approx. 10% of AFL players are indigenous so 4-5 in every team. We had only ash for a number of years and it didn't look great.

Was one of the reasons I was strongly for Bundy's to get another contact - he is a leader running good program/support and it's something I think we need. And he plays great footy. I'm sure his off season will be immense to get him back to him back to his best next year and another extension. This years mitch.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone see the video of lach calling dev after he was drafted? So much class. With respect to Harris, lach is deadset locked in as the next captain when zorks decides to give up the title
Not really. Zorks probably has another 3 or so years at the top. Andrews will be more than ready to take it up. I still think he will be the next captain. Was classy he rang Robertson but Andrews also meets the new draftees at the airport

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not really. Zorks probably has another 3 or so years at the top. Andrews will be more than ready to take it up. I still think he will be the next captain. Was classy he rang Robertson but Andrews also meets the new draftees at the airport

OK that's also ridiculous class. Great that the club has pulled in so many players with such great character

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting that Sydney was one of the clubs and eventually the sole club that came to our rescue when Essendon bid on Coleman. Would have to think they would have been more than happy to scuttle any of the Bomber's and Dodoro's plans after the unfolding of the trade period.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Interesting that Sydney was one of the clubs and eventually the sole club that came to our rescue when Essendon bid on Coleman. Would have to think they would have been more than happy to scuttle any of the Bomber's and Dodoro's plans after the unfolding of the trade period.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ambrogio started that conversation with Beatson with "we need your help to **** Dodoro".

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hard to think that Dodo really wanted Coleman. Genuinly think that the only reason he bid on Coleman was to make a nuisance but he probably knew that we would take him as he is our most promising Academy guy over the others.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Dodo seemed peeved that they couldn't nab him.
Amazing how people see things differently.

I was sure Dodo was worried we wouldn’t match.

On a slight tangent.

I visited the Richmond board to see what they thought about picking up two of our academy boys.

fmd not going back in there again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
If you’re basing that on a phone call then you’re not seeing the 100’s of things that happen across a year that decide a captain.

My thoughts on the draft:
- Getting Deven was a good get. We paid up for it, but I have no issue with it. If we judged that, based on our boards, he was worth the picks that we gave up, great. He looks the goods to me.
- The AFL screwed us a bit. We traded last year for the first pick of R2, and the AFL assistance package pushed us back. That said, you'd probably say that Melbourne being pushed from 2 to 3 was worse.
- Dodoro snuck in the bid quite annoyingly. Yeah, he's a turd, but can't fault him for his tactics. Our recruiters got beat. Ended up turning 38 into Coleman and a future 5th rounder effectively (2 spots difference to the other pick). When we would've been hoping for him as spare change, that hurts.
- Not sure why everyone is having such a deal about the indigenous make-up of the team. I've nothing against indigenous players at all, but the idea of being embarrassed that we only had McGrath for a while, or considering Bundy's heritage when thinking about offering him a contract... Not for me, and hopefully not for our recruiters either. I feel no pride nor shame at having more or less indigenous players on our team. They're all just our players, regardless of their heritage.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And how do we know that Harris didn't also make contact?

Oct 8, 2018
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tassie Devils, Tasmania JackJumpers
Some people reading way too much into a phone call.

Lachie is arguably the biggest name at the club and Dev said he is also one of his favourite players, so the media team obviously teed that up for him.

Harris is the obvious next captain but, for me, if anyone was going to pip him it’d be JBerry.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some people reading way too much into a phone call.

Lachie is arguably the biggest name at the club and Dev said he is also one of his favourite players, so the media team obviously teed that up for him.

Harris is the obvious next captain but, for me, if anyone was going to pip him it’d be JBerry.

Yep still think JBerry will be in the frame when the time comes. Hope he has a great year too. The virus really knocked him around at the start of the year when he was absolutely primed.

Tainey

Debutant
Oct 17, 2013
Deutschland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rheinland Lions, FC Köln
I'm no lip-reading expert but after we matched the bid it looked like he said something like "well that was gonna happen".
Hard to think that Dodo really wanted Coleman. Genuinly think that the only reason he bid on Coleman was to make a nuisance but he probably knew that we would take him as he is our most promising Academy guy over the others.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Amazing how we’ve gone from Ash McGrath to now having 6 indigenous footballers on our list. We were missing out on so much by not recruiting indigenous footballers.
Who are the six? Bundy, Cox, Cameron and Coleman spring to mind. Can't think of the other two. Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back