Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Some FYI.

Brock Smith is coming back from glandular fever, that saw him miss the NAB league finals series. Might be a later start for him.

Deven Robertson had shoulder surgery after the U18 Championships, having dislocated his shoulder in the final game and playing through it. Reports are he should be right for contact drills after the Christmas break.

Kids who have connections to multiple clubs, i.e. in one clubs academy, but father son to another club, nominate which club has "priority" access to them before the draft. Lachie Johnson nominated the Lions, but we could only commit a rookie list spot to him.

There's a bit of discussion in media circles that Essendon made a play for pick 22 from Port, but couldn't/wouldn't match our deal. And there's certainly been some suggestion that Dodoro bidding on Coleman, and drafting Lachie Johnson and putting him on the LTI straight away was some way of getting even. Quite a few clubs passed on their last pick, or two picks, with the intention of holding a rookie list spot for the SSP or the mid season draft. Essendon is one team with an available rookie list spot.

And Jaxon Prior's dad is an assistant coach at Fremantle.

Last edited:
Will be good to see. We need more competition in the twos, a few close games, or ideally a close game every 2nd week would be great. Too one-sided this year, like playing Pakistan in cricket. Australia should play Victoria for some competition in that other sport.
A closer competition will be better for the development of the young fellas.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's deliberately done in front of a camera, and by most clubs most years. To me, it is the epitome of insincere. It's 100% marketing. Doesn't say anything at all about leadership to me - the club just teeing everything up.
It is probably mandated then that at least the 1st pick each year has such a clip. But at the end of the day doesn't it show the leadership of the club the way its done, its not like its Roy the lion giving him his shirt and doing some sort of cheese thumbs up

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FYI Brock Smith is coming back from glandular fever, that saw him miss the NAB league finals series. Might be a later start for him.

Deven Robertson had shoulder surgery after the U18 Championships, having dislocated his shoulder in the final game and playing through it.
Devon should be good for pre-season tho, however a slight overlap with contact stuff.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

There's a bit of discussion in media circles that Essendon made a play for pick 22 from Port, but couldn't/wouldn't match our deal. And there's certainly been some suggestion that Dodoro bidding on Coleman, and drafting Lachie Johnson and putting him on the LTI straight away was some way of getting even.
Apparently Adelaide was the team we outbid, who were also keen on Robertson (that's not to exclude any interest from Essendon). I think the Adelaide interest might have muddied the water externally and was why we were being linked to Schoenberg prior to the pick.

Essendon legitimately wanted Coleman. They saw him as a Dempsey type player who gave them 130+ games and would've had close to 200 if not for injury.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robertson didn't test at the National Combine because of injury, but based on his state testing, he probably would've compared quite well to some of the top performers.

Not sure how comparable the results are but based on the state testing (comparable results at National Combine):
20m sprint - Robertson 2.92s (5th - Cumberland 2.931s)
Agility - Robertson 7.79s (1st - Young 7.940s)
Yo-yo - Robertson 21.2 (AFL only lists top 10, but 10th was Sharp with 21.3)

Someone like Schoenberg for example ran 3.13 in the 20m sprint and 20.3 in the yo-yo.

Robertson didn't test at the National Combine because of injury, but based on his state testing, he probably would've compared quite well to some of the top performers.

Not sure how comparable the results are but based on the state testing (comparable results at National Combine):

Someone like Schoenberg for example ran 3.13 in the 20m sprint and 20.3 in the yo-yo.

Deven and Keidean look like they can genuinely push for Round 1. It's impressive that even after trading out pick 16, we managed to get players of this quality. Seniors will be feeling the pressure when these two get into full training.

Jaxxon and Brock could be anything too. excited times !

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Seriously, the only knock on Deven is his kicking.

Might look good to kick a footy in to a bin the balcony, but it’s his kicking in games that is questionable.

Sought his kicking out, and we’ve got a genuine future AA.

Might look good to kick a footy in to a bin the balcony, but it’s his kicking in games that is questionable.

Have only watched his small highlight vid on his draft profile on the AFL website, and you can kinda tell in that video that he can be prone to a few bad kicks. But likewise he can pull off some tidy ones as well. Seems to be more about the consistency i think. But i back the kid in to improve, he seems very driven and i'm sure will do a heap of extra work on his kicking to improve it. In saying that, i think he will learn a heap from Neale, who is someone who doesn't have a bad kick, but just doesn't really kick it much. He has build his game on winning the ball and handballing it out which is something Deven can probably start his career with, focusing on his strengths. But overall, i don't think there is a major core problem with his kicking, and i think in 5 years time he is going to be 1 of those players that get looked back on as to why people didn't draft him.

They are pretty good results. Can't really compare to national as it is different, but those results paint enough of a picture that athletically he has some really nice traits. Good acceleration and agility which is what probably makes him such a good inside player with ability to get to the outside, and he has a good running ability.

If he plays as an inside mid, below par kicking is not necessarily a deal breaker. And I’m not convinced his kicking is all that bad.

Matt Crouch had a similar knock on him in his draft year and has become an All Australian midfielder. Winning the footy in tight and a top handball tends to get you games, even if your kicking isn’t great.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As they say concentrate on the good bits not the negatives.He can be a better version of Clayton Oliver and we will no doubt be happy.

I think one of the biggest problems with Cam Rayner this year was rushing when he had the ball, sometimes he just need to take that extra step because he had more time than he thought. (Perceived pressure). But I know that Cam will get better in this area, and then watch out.
This is what I took from watching Deven in the highlights packages, he just needs to learn to know when he has time and when he doesn’t, rather than just rushing his kicks most of the time.
Others like Hugh McCluggage just know how to create space and seem to have all the time in the World.

Needs to build a bit of bulk.
Pretty skinny Lad!
Might have lost a bit of weight with the Glandular fever?
I am sure it won’t take long in a professional system?
But we have been saying that for years with Eric.
9A1CCC18-C96C-4869-A712-567C2576FFF2.png

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he plays as an inside mid, below par kicking is not necessarily a deal breaker. And I’m not convinced his kicking is all that bad.

Matt Crouch had a similar knock on him in his draft year and has become an All Australian midfielder. Winning the footy in tight and a top handball tends to get you games, even if your kicking isn’t great.

Especially when you consider Dangerfield (or Clangerfield) and Fyfe aren't exactly known for elite kicking skills. Interesting that Robertson went at the same pick as Fyfe.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I don’t have the link, and I’m quoting another source.

Apparently from an analytics perspective, the top U18 mids went something like:
Rowell

Then a big gap.

Robertson
Schoenberg

Then a big gap.

About a group of 10 which I can’t remember the order, except Green was at the top and Serong was at the bottom.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Of the Brownlow medal winners in the last 6 years, Dusty is probably the only one you'd say hasn't had questions asked of their kicking.

Fyfe, Mitchell, Dangerfield and Priddis all aren't the best kicks but elite contested ball winners that read the contest very well.
Yeah, in saying that Bailey was supposed to be a pretty terrible kick prior to coming with us and now he looks decent. Our development coaches will set him right

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's become apparent to me that over the last decade or so foot skills have become a more crucial aspect of the game . If they can't kick or be trained to kick accurately and with vision you don't really want them . Foot turnovers kill you ,particularly in your back line ,as do missed shots on goal.

Having said that it's less crucial for an inside mid where you need to get it and get it out going your way somehow . Traditionally the best midfielders were just gun kicks a la Ian Stewart , and then Williams who couldn't kick it far but rarely missed a target , Simon Black and others. The later day M/F superstars don't seem to be exceptional kicks for some reason . Devon doesn't stand out as being a gifted kick nor a poor one so he's probably in the mould of the modern midfielder.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah, in saying that Bailey was supposed to be a pretty terrible kick prior to coming with us and now he looks decent. Our development coaches will set him right
From memory, Bailey wasn’t considered a bad kick, just that he had a high loop on it.

I think a lot of clubs are going to regret not drafting Robertson. In many of the mock drafts he was in the top 10, as high as 4 in one that I saw.

22 is a huge steal
I don’t put a lot of stock in phantom drafts, until the team rumours start.

Generally I pay most attention to the posters who I know watch the kids live. Most of them had Robertson in the teens.

Most of the mids drafted before Robertson were either inside outside mids, or dual position players.

Recently there’s been a knock on drafting pure inside, one position mids early. Unless they are viewed as elite.

Even then, a lot of the WA boys appeared to slide on draft night.

Back