List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast have to be odds on to get a first round priority pick before our pick

I have a dream. Hear me out.

If we don’t win another game and end up with pick 2 then any priority pick Gold Coast get will be after our first pick. Especially considering we haven’t played finals for 8 years and the AFL won’t want us affected for any assistance they get. (We were stung last year when our pick 3 went to pick 4 as a result of the Tom Lynch free agency compensation). Some in the media (such as ‘On the Couch’) are adamant we also need assistance.

Then we trade our pick 2 for their priority pick (assuming it is pick 3) in a deal which will help us. This may may involve an understanding that the AFL gives us one-off help (for this year only) that doesn’t include priority picks but easier access to one Father/Son player.

Maybe part of that understanding is that Gold Coast doesn’t draft Anderson with either of their top 2 picks, leaving us in the position of matching a bid for him after our first pick. We end up with multiple picks after our first pick to match the bid (as part of the trade).

As a consequence the AFL helps both clubs who have been absent from finals action for the longest period and who happen to be at the bottom of the ladder.

Anyway, as I said it was just a dream. I’m probably just being stupid.

I have a dream. Hear me out.

If we don’t win another game and end up with pick 2 then any priority pick Gold Coast get will be after our first pick. Especially considering we haven’t played finals for 8 years and the AFL won’t want us affected for any assistance they get. (We were stung last year when our pick 3 went to pick 4 as a result of the Tom Lynch free agency compensation). Some in the media (such as ‘On the Couch’) are adamant we also need assistance.

Then we trade our pick 2 for their priority pick (assuming it is pick 3) in a deal which will help us. This may may involve an understanding that the AFL gives us one-off help (for this year only) that doesn’t include priority picks but easier access to one Father/Son player.

Maybe part of that understanding is that Gold Coast doesn’t draft Anderson with either of their top 2 picks, leaving us in the position of matching a bid for him after our first pick. We end up with multiple picks after our first pick to match the bid (as part of the trade).

As a consequence the AFL helps both clubs who have been absent from finals action for the longest period and who happen to be at the bottom of the ladder.

Anyway, as I said it was just a dream. I’m probably just being stupid.

We are St Kilda supporters, we are all just being stupid ;)

Having said that, I can't see GC trading for pick 2 only to not take Anderson. They'd be wanting to get him and Rowell in the hope they stay long term

Quite a bit of opposition to that today. Even Stewart Dew said no to the prospect three times in his press conference. Some commentators saying too many compromised drafts over recent years. Don't like the idea of us not playing well and ending up second last......but Anderson pretty tempting. Goal kicking midfielder. And a good one. Sheesh!

As someone ( can’t remember who) wrote recently and was spot on...
Not only did we miss out big time because of where we were on the ladder during the compromised drafts, it was compounded by the fact that when the name players wanted out of GC or GWS they only wanted to go to the top clubs who, hence, got stronger. Don’t need to look any further than Treloar and Lynch as examples.

So we were disadvantaged twice so to speak and have languished at the bottom for a while as a consequence.

Free agency, too, has turned into a nightmare for the lower clubs. The AFL really mucked up on that one.

Regarding Stewart Dew, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a coach ask for a priority pick...he’ll leave it up to his CEO to make a song and dance about it.

We are St Kilda supporters, we are all just being stupid ;)

Having said that, I can't see GC trading for pick 2 only to not take Anderson. They'd be wanting to get him and Rowell in the hope they stay long term

It could be part of the back room machinations involving the AFL. Otherwise no priority pick for Gold Coast.

The alternative is that Saints match a bid for Anderson by Gold Coast at pick 3 and are forced to use more draft points to do so as part of the process. This is assuming Anderson is not pick 1.

If Anderson is pick 1 Saints could match the bid or have the option of matching a bid for Young later.

It’s all hypothetical though and extremely unlikely. But it’s nice to dream.

It could be part of the back room machinations involving the AFL. Otherwise no priority pick for Gold Coast.

The alternative is that Saints match a bid for Anderson by Gold Coast at pick 3 and are forced to use more draft points to do so as part of the process. This is assuming Anderson is not pick 1.

If Anderson is pick 1 Saints could match the bid or have the option of matching a bid for Young later.

It’s all hypothetical though and extremely unlikely. But it’s nice to dream.

Yeah, a nice dream! But zero chance they’ll tinker with father-son eligibility in a single year for equalisation purposes.

More likely we get a priority pick as well, and they do it the old fashioned way - GC get 1 and 3, we get 2 and 4.

Still not very likely though.

Yeah, a nice dream! But zero chance they’ll tinker with father-son eligibility in a single year for equalisation purposes.

More likely we get a priority pick as well, and they do it the old fashioned way - GC get 1 and 3, we get 2 and 4.

I actually think we have zero chance of getting a priority pick with Gold Coast some chance but less than 50%.

More likely the AFL fiddles with F/S eligibility, zoning and academies. These things don’t involve picks and change over time. Still unlikely in the short term though, but you never know.

I actually think we have zero chance of getting a priority pick with Gold Coast some chance but less than 50%.

More likely the AFL fiddles with F/S eligibility, zoning and academies. These things don’t involve picks and change over time. Still unlikely in the short term though, but you never know.

I doubt the AFL give them pick 2 as a priority as well. They seem to be end of first round now.

Struggle to see us winning another game
Blues 2 more wins
Dees 1 maybe 2 wins
Pick 2 and Anderson a chance
It has been a crap 2 years

Struggle to see us winning another game
Blues 2 more wins
Dees 1 maybe 2 wins
Pick 2 and Anderson a chance
It has been a crap 2 years

If we do what we should be doing , and having a look at guys like Clav and Langlands at senior level (now season is shot for us) , your scenario might naturally occur , without us ever having to stoop to tanking.
Carlton's immense amount of young talent may see them sail past us , but Melbourne , I am yet to get my head around.

If we do what we should be doing , and having a look at guys like Clav and Langlands at senior level (now season is shot for us) , your scenario might naturally occur , without us ever having to stoop to tanking.
Carlton's immense amount of young talent may see them sail past us , but Melbourne , I am yet to get my head around.
Not talking about tanking it never works and we are not good enough to tank anyhow

Who do the Suns end up with, Rowell and Serong. We end up with Anderson and Young, (I rather Kemp then Young).

If this played out, I reckon we take Anderson and trade the later pick to GWS for Stephens and Jackson. Boom two midfielders and the best ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. If we start blooding players ,.

What do you mean start blooding.

With all the injuries we have had this year most have had a crack. Langlands one of the few to miss out.

White was stiff when he was elevated that he got injured in the same game.

When he's emergency...he really is emergency unless you think we should have more injury.

At this point I don’t mind more injuries if it helps us see some of these other players. The season’s dead, we need to get enough info about White, Rice, Langlands, Young, Clavarino, etc to be able to make sensible decisions on them at the end of the year.

Haydn Young is not Matthew Young’s son as far as I know.

Yeah, I think I made that up. It's the other Young that's his son. Anderson is Dean's son though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back